Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SexiHottie

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We've had this happen with the support changes also -- which ultimately were accepted by the community once they played them. We will measure our success with this patch based on how you guys feel about it after its been out a week.
So you're saying if after this patch the community collectively said they don't like the change to either the minions or the jungle Riot will revert the patch? Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorwynKim View Post
Accepted because the community liked it, or because they had no choice?
This. Ultimately its what you guys "feel" is going to improve the game which in this case is the opposite.

moltres27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1520818

Lawsmith

11-25-2011

That skill cap just got dropped like a red-headed stepchild.

moltres27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1520818

for the next coming champ!!

SexyGamer

11-25-2011

http://youtu.be/vh3tuL_DVsE <- this video finally makes sense. its RIOT!

T Le B

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiethekid View Post
Guys...chill the hell out.

Potion nerf: Be happy at least you still have potions. Think about it, if you don't poke your enemy, your enemy will poke you. If you try to play defensively, you'll lose out because your pots won't heal you for much. They want to make the laning phase a bit more fun then just sitting there farming minions for 20 minutes. Besides, if your a smart player, this shouldn't really affect you too much anyway since you already know how to poke your opponent. THAT BEING SAID!! As much as i support riot, i don't think this nerf was really necessary. But i haven't seen then numbers so judging is kinda really out the window here.

Minions: The reason that I kinda agree with this nerf is because, as far as i've seen it, if you make one mistake, you've practically lost the game for your team. I've seen somone get 1 kill and they end up carrying the whole game. They don't want you to snowball over the team because then whats the fun in that? Also, sustaining champions have always had an advantage over non-sustaining champions, thats why people play them because you can stay in a lane forever. They aren't making them anymore OP then what they already were. THAT BEING SAID!! Anyone who is stupid enough to dive in to attack a champion while they're surrounded by minions deserves to get hurt and deserves to die.

Jungle: I honestly do not see why anyone is complaining. Experienced junglers will still be able to jungle. If you don't want to get your lazy asses to try and adapt to the new jungle, then why play? This game has always been about change and adapting. Its not that their kissing noob ass, its because they want to open the jungle to more players. God knows i can't jungle to save my parent's lives but maybe i could try it out now since it'll be easier. And if you are seriously going to complain about noobs jungling, then think about how you started. I bet, and this is only speculation, that you had to work your ass off to find a path or an item build to jungle with. They want to take out the fact that newer players and lower lvls have to go through such a grind to become a good jungler.

Seriously guys, give this patch a chance. It's not like they've completely screwed the game. It's called adaption and you're going to have to get used to it because thats what life is all about and thats how the world is.
Be happy at least you still have potions.
You're right. Thank you, Riot, for reducing the effectiveness of a standard item instead of outright deleting it. You're too kind.
The reason that I kinda agree with this nerf is because, as far as i've seen it, if you make one mistake, you've practically lost the game for your team.
The "one mistake" you're referring to seems to be walking into a wave of enemy minions and engaging the enemy at low levels and dying because of it. If you do that, yeah, you're probably going to lose the game for you team. But it's going to be more of your obviously low skill level and not that you "made the mistake" of walking into an obviously bad idea.
I honestly do not see why anyone is complaining.
Let me take your favourite role, that you're proud of your skill as, took lots of time, experience, IP, and effort to polish and get effective with, that causes your team to count and rely on you, and at times allows you to carry your entire team with your practiced skills.
Now let me rip the carpet out from under you, change nearly every aspect of what you've learned, all in the name of making it more accessible to new players so that they don't have to work nearly as hard as you did to accomplish the same result.
We aren't complaining because we don't want to adapt, we're complaining because we're being forced to adapt to bad and new players, instead of them adapting to us.

HuggableZombie

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux2dO View Post
@Zombiethekid:

So many fallacies with your points.

The changes in this patch in an overall sense DECREASED the ability and mechanics a player must learn and know by playing and practicing with the updates making harass/aggression/jungling easier. You're hoping to try jungling now that it's easier? What kind of point does that emphasize to the majority who took the time learning through the path that wasn't even incredibly hard to begin with. The fact that you would have to grind to become wary and have the accessibility to the option of jungling was in fact a driving force for new players especially.

Minions were such an important factor for the act of aggression and harass, and was a key reason for smart players to push at a decent speed and know when to poke at the enemy assessing the number of minions that are alongside them. Obviously we have not seen all of these changes and have not had the time to 'adapt,' but most of these were unnecessary changes to begin with.

Jungle, yes we can see beginners and lower levels wanted a chance.
Health pots, I guess we'll have to see the numbers.
Minions, clearly unnecessary.
I agree, the minion nerf was unecessary, but as i said before, it keeps people who had a bad start to have an entire bad game.

I'm not exactly happy about the pot nerf either, but it means now you'll have to play smarter. An overly aggressive player will burn through his or her pots getting less help then they do now and is more likely to die. An overly defensive player won't get any creep kills and end up losing out on EXP and gold. The potion means you HAVE to play smarter against just plowing through everything.

And jungle rework, you'll just have to make a new path, there just isn't a way around that. But it makes it easier for people, like me, to want to jungle instead of trying, failing, trying, and failing again.

Acru

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ZOMG View Post
This for the win.

Sucks to be a melee bruiser that finally gets close enough to harass, only to be decimated by those **** minions.
Use the bushes to drop aggro. >.>

Good luck with that minions nerf, though, it is not in a melee champ's favor. You can now be harassed by any ranged champion without your minions doing **** to help scare them off. You'll be pushed out of lane, not having any cheap sustain from hp pots.

Simbela

11-25-2011

I dont know why so many people are downvoting - without saying why at that

The minion damage nerf will mean both sides can poke each other more during lane.

The health pot nerf while sad to see it diminish was really OP for 35g 2 health pots with a basiic item at start was better than the dorans ring/black/shield which only give 100 HP compared to the pots which doubled that.

The jungle buffs will be wicked! While a teams jungler will get beefed up nicely early, mid to late game your team will be able to share some sweet buffs for specific champions.

And dare i start on Sivir's changes!? HER RANGE IS INCREASED! YES!!!! Id take her as is now if only her range was longer. I cant say for sure till they come into effect and i try her, but it seems like she will be viable along side your ashe, miss fortune, caitlyn, trist etc.

Thumbs up Riot!

SexyGamer

11-25-2011

I like how Riot just goes ahead and decides that making changes to really babysit the lower level players/low level gameplay and ASSUMES that it therefore benefits everyone else. /sarcasm