Change Camera Lock (Y) to Center Camera On Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

headbustacuz

02-22-2012

Well here is my solution the point. Camera lock can be unlocked easily if you hold the left click on your mouse and move around. All of your abilities though use the left click to activate and take down the other person. Why not make the camera lock/unlock a simple button like Y. so you can instantly unlock to get the skill shot and come back locked on your champion. I too use camera lock and im lvl 30. I just got used to pressing the button on the bottom left whenever i need to. But an easier way to unlock and lock would be nice for players like us.

Ravenshock

02-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbustacuz View Post
Well here is my solution the point. Camera lock can be unlocked easily if you hold the left click on your mouse and move around. All of your abilities though use the left click to activate and take down the other person. Why not make the camera lock/unlock a simple button like Y. so you can instantly unlock to get the skill shot and come back locked on your champion. I too use camera lock and im lvl 30. I just got used to pressing the button on the bottom left whenever i need to. But an easier way to unlock and lock would be nice for players like us.
Are you trolling or do you not know that the Y key already does that?

Luke Dangerously

02-23-2012

I snap my screen to my character often with spacebar, but usually play with it unlocked.

Exii

02-24-2012

First thing I did when I started to play was to set camera movement to wasd, putting the skills as qerf. spells as zx

I found this to be much more useful for camera control to quickly see what is going on around me instead of having to wait until I was in range. Clicking and dragging on the map seems inefficient given the fast pace of team fights.

I never use Y to center, I just hold down space bar with my thumb which feels natural for me now and takes no thought to do it.

One of the main things I wish I could change is for an option to disable the edge of screen movement. with how I play sometimes letting my mouse get to the edge of the screen jerks the camera and throws me off for a split second. Won't bother making another thread to suggest this as it may already have been suggested, and given the 19 riot posts in this thread I can hope this post is seen!

Toysoldier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2012

Most high level players that people think use locked screen generally play unlocked but hold down the space bar to keep it locked most of the time but they can free it at any moment which is a good thing to do if going fully unlocked causes problems.

Quiver

02-28-2012

I used to have a lot of trouble with the camera locked facing south, the easiest thing ive found that helped me train to use unlocked camera was to alternate holding spacebar on and off. Eventually instead of moving my mouse to control the camera i ended up with a hybrid style of using the spacebar to adjust the camera where I needed it and then dropping the camera by letting go of space.

I dont know if there are any cons to doing it, but if you need to transition quickly, that was the way i found.

Dracolithe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-29-2012

I've taken into account the other poster's ideas for a locked-ish camera and decided to make an easy fix solution that would probably solve the whole problem.

First try to think of the gave as a top-down angle instead of halfway up. Imagine in that box with an empty inside there's a champion in the exact middle. If you've played a lot of side scrollers, a pretty popular tactic you might have noticed was the camera drag technique. Because it's only for the most part an x and y axis things are pretty simple. I was hoping for the same kind of implementation to the box above the character. When the mouse drags down to a determined x and y value on screen (which is in the box) then from respect to the character the box would move away a set distance at an acceleration which increases by how far away the mouse is. Make the box always able to "hook" onto the champion area of course though or else its going to be unlocked. This way, as long as the mouse resides in the box the champion could see exactly what needs to be seen. If you think this idea has any merit please quote, or if It's a little hard to understand I could draw a diagram in paint that would hopefully clear it up.

HAVE A CHILL DAY

02-29-2012

Personally, heres what I do and it works great: change the toggle lock button to your space bar and use your thumb to unlock when needed. fast and effective, because having screenlock off is also somewhat of a disadvantage at times just like having it on is a disadvantage sometimes. this makes it fast to toggle.

Best Atheist NA

03-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Also, let me say we would definitely want to improve the experience for camera locked players, but it is also something that is used by a much smaller proportion of the players.
I have to disagree with this. There are countless of posts everyday from people complaining that they hate playing on purple side because of the camera angle issues. Playing with locked camera is fine on blue side as you can see way ahead of your character. Purple side, you can see way behind it, therefore not being able to see what you're fighting.

spurzey

03-15-2012

dyrus plays with a locked camera and hes a pro player