Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Kog'Maw's Guide to Tank Chewing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beetleweisse

01-06-2011

Since you have so much attack speed items it would make sense to include some on-hits such as "wits end" and/or "executioner's calling."

Warrrrax

01-07-2011

A few comments:

Living Artillery (R):

Okay, with the “does 150% bonus damage to champions” clause, the damage output from this reads as 120/180/240 when you're firing it against enemy champions, which is actually quite amazing damage from a spammable ult.

Actually I think it does more. 150% BONUS damage would indicate that it deals 200, 300, 400 damage to enemy champions. This is more in line with my experience as the ult does a lot of damage on a hit.

Next, you dont have any mana regen. Why not take something to deal with this? A chalice is what I go with (starting with mekis to spam Puke) which solves mana regen entirely and adds Magic resist.
A philo stone would do the trick too providing HP regen and MP regen plus gold gen for pretty cheap.
This increases damage output significantly because you can spew out so much more spells.

Id really recommend sorc boots. You do so much magical damage that sorc boots and magic pen would seem to be the way to go.

What about more attack speed items, so you can use more efficient runes?

Vs 2K opponents his W adds 120 magic damage! AS is thus really important. But magic penetration and some mana regen is important too.

Sword of the Divine is my personal favorite as for 2000 gold it provides 1500 gold worth of AS, in addition to about 25 magic damage per hit and a so-so active.
Malady is pretty good too. How do you figure that it is not good enough? The AP is mostly wasted true, but it does provide 1250 gold worth of AS and 800 gold worth of attack damage on top of its magic resist shred.
MR shred seems to be a lot better than armor shred that you take. Its a lot cheaper for what it does too.

Then after taking 1 of the above items, I get the bloodrazor. It is a great item no doubt, but AS is still more important. 1 Recurve bow helps but definitely does not max you out. 1 of the items above has most of its value going straight into AS. Then take recurve and build into bloodrazor.
6% magical +100physical +25ish magical at 1.5 AS is better than 10% magical +120 physical at 1.1 AS.

Skitzafreak

Recruiter

01-12-2011

Quote:
Beetleweisse:
Since you have so much attack speed items it would make sense to include some on-hits such as "wits end" and/or "executioner's calling."

I have been thinking about that to be honest. Sword of the Divine gives a big AS buff (55%) and has a decent on hit active. I'll see how well that works out.

Quote:
Warrrrax:
A few comments:

Living Artillery (R):

Okay, with the “does 150% bonus damage to champions” clause, the damage output from this reads as 120/180/240 when you're firing it against enemy champions, which is actually quite amazing damage from a spammable ult.

Actually I think it does more. 150% BONUS damage would indicate that it deals 200, 300, 400 damage to enemy champions. This is more in line with my experience as the ult does a lot of damage on a hit.

Next, you dont have any mana regen. Why not take something to deal with this? A chalice is what I go with (starting with mekis to spam Puke) which solves mana regen entirely and adds Magic resist.
A philo stone would do the trick too providing HP regen and MP regen plus gold gen for pretty cheap.
This increases damage output significantly because you can spew out so much more spells.

Id really recommend sorc boots. You do so much magical damage that sorc boots and magic pen would seem to be the way to go.

Vs 2K opponents his W adds 120 magic damage! AS is thus really important. But magic penetration and some mana regen is important too.

Sword of the Divine is my personal favorite as for 2000 gold it provides 1500 gold worth of AS, in addition to about 25 magic damage per hit and a so-so active.
Malady is pretty good too. How do you figure that it is not good enough? The AP is mostly wasted true, but it does provide 1250 gold worth of AS and 800 gold worth of attack damage on top of its magic resist shred.
MR shred seems to be a lot better than armor shred that you take. Its a lot cheaper for what it does too.

Then after taking 1 of the above items, I get the bloodrazor. It is a great item no doubt, but AS is still more important. 1 Recurve bow helps but definitely does not max you out. 1 of the items above has most of its value going straight into AS. Then take recurve and build into bloodrazor.
6% magical +100physical +25ish magical at 1.5 AS is better than 10% magical +120 physical at 1.1 AS.

Note taken about Living Artillery. I will again be updating the guide again as the latest patch gave some changes that...well makes things great for Kog'Maw.

To give you a quick preview, the new Kog'Maw build more or less looks a little like this:
Berserker Greaves
Madred's Bloodrazor
Frozen Mallet
Phantom Dancer
Black Cleaver (or Sword of the Divine if it proves to be better overall)
Bloodthirster

With Black Cleaver now having an AS buff it is that much better of an item on Kog'Maw.

Also to address your mana regen problem, I am actually going back to using Mana Regen/level runes for Yellow and Blue. The flat AS for Yellow and Blue only add about 8% AS so in the end the mana regen gives you a better pay off for Kog.

I will try out Sorcerer's Shoes if Madred's + PD + SoD gives me 2.5 AS, or at least really close to it. As it stands, Zerk Greaves are amazing for Kog'Maw in the early game because it just helps him kill minions that much faster.

I'll make a quick note back to the 'mana regen' problem. I find you don't need that much mana on Kog'Maw. When he hits 6 you can easily harass with his ult, waiting for the extra mana to go away, and other than that just sit there doing nothing but attacking.

I might also consider using Exhaust now with its new changes.

The Rooster

01-12-2011

Question to all of you Kog Maw players... I just started playing him regular and I have been taking the following items and they seem to work pretty well.

Beserker Greaves
Malady
Wits End
Bloodrazor
Frozen Mallet

With attack speed runes it seems to work pretty good. I sure shoot fast. Any suggestions on a better build? Like I said, Im pretty new to Kog and am always looking for better options.

MonstaBread Man

02-18-2011

Quote:
The Rooster:
Question to all of you Kog Maw players... I just started playing him regular and I have been taking the following items and they seem to work pretty well.

Beserker Greaves
Malady
Wits End
Bloodrazor
Frozen Mallet

With attack speed runes it seems to work pretty good. I sure shoot fast. Any suggestions on a better build? Like I said, Im pretty new to Kog and am always looking for better options.

Bloodrazor
phantom dancer x 2
starks fervor
Blood thirster
Infinity edge

Infernal Lupine

03-05-2011

Another nice thing I have noticed about Kog, is with the range on his Ult, you can shoot over walls. Which allows for sniping behind tree lines from the Jungle.

Aeonstorm

03-05-2011

Quote:
Warrrrax:
A few comments:

Living Artillery (R):

The thing is, if you get a fast madred's, you can easily take out golem, which takes care of the mana problem, and you do more dps than if you had an AS item. Additionally, pure dmg is superior to AS as it allows you to kite better. If you are skirmishing against someone in mid, you want to be able to use W and hit them once for a large amount of dmg before running back, rather than standing and attacking multiple times, as you will get hit by minions and become vulnerable to counterattack.

Of course, after you get Madred's attack speed is quite nice as it synergizes well with 10% of max health in dmg per hit, but phantom dancer should be your first AS item as it gives you movement speed, which is extremely important for someone as squishy as kog, to allow good positioning in teamfights. After that SoTD seems pretty good, considering the massive armour pen and the low price.

Aeonstorm

03-05-2011

Quote:
Infernal Lupine:
Another nice thing I have noticed about Kog, is with the range on his Ult, you can shoot over walls. Which allows for sniping behind tree lines from the Jungle.

how could you not have known that O.o

Infernal Lupine

03-05-2011

Quote:
Aeonstorm:
how could you not have known that O.o

A. Because Im new.
B. Its not mentioned in any of the Guides?

Aeonstorm

03-06-2011

Quote:
Infernal Lupine:
A. Because Im new.
B. Its not mentioned in any of the Guides?

oh ok.

well, pretty much every skillshot can go over walls, so estimating where opponents are and movement prediction are very important skills, as so many champs have skillshots.