Riot hates Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stez007

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Smash Pros View Post
NoNo... Dominion was a waste of time and they could have done better. Like what is with the midget map in a penta shape? That totally is stupid. They should have made a better version of summoners rift. Maybe even 6 player map. idk they could have done better all I am saying.
That's not what you're saying. What you're saying is that it is worse because it is different.

Remember, DotA was originally a Warcraft mod, a subset of the original game. It was different, but that didn't mean it was worse. Why does being different mean Dominion is worse?

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2011

I love these

Riot HATES ________________

threads.

I imagine Phreak walking down the hallway with a cup of coffee, then suddenly splashing the coffee into a helpless printer and smashing the plastic in with his shoe, yelling "I HATE SUPPORTS! I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM!" With tears of rage, of course.

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
as far as i know, the reason blessing was removed was because it was only ever good in abuse cases--otherwise it was a 'trap' item that didn't really do much to justify the purchase. maybe something will be reintroduced at some point, but i don't believe it's something that's being actively pursued at this point. i could be wrong though--i have very little insight into those topics unless i go out of my way to inquire about them.
I need some help in understanding the idea of abuse??
From the 100+ games i played before it was removed, only players who "backdoor" carried this item
Half the time, they die easily, but then they made the game more interesting because of the need to defend as well as attack for your team, and to have actual map awareness of where others are going.

Right now, Dominion's only viable strategy is pick 5 carry / assassin and beat everything up. Akali and Jax and Yi is always always the top pick. In fact, at one point, i see them in 90%+ of the games.

Like I always say, might as well have an arena, 1 minute starting time, start with 10000 gold, level 16, and the team which reaches 50 kills win. And no shopping unless dead...

Stez007

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaladilae View Post
From the 100+ games i played before it was removed, only players who "backdoor" carried this item
Half the time, they die easily, but then they made the game more interesting because of the need to defend as well as attack for your team, and to have actual map awareness of where others are going.

Right now, Dominion's only viable strategy is pick 5 carry / assassin and beat everything up. Akali and Jax and Yi is always always the top pick. In fact, at one point, i see them in 90%+ of the games.

Like I always say, might as well have an arena, 1 minute starting time, start with 10000 gold, level 16, and the team which reaches 50 kills win. And no shopping unless dead...
At higher Elo and especially in Draft you rarely see Akali, Jax or Yi. Sometimes they're banned, but usually they're just not played.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-23-2011
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
i never saw much of it myself, but basically the situation as i heard it were that runners (in the right hands) can be highly disruptive and very effective depending on the opposition. if a runner, or runners, found themselves against a team that couldn't handle them effectively, blessing exacerbated the issue. so, it was an item that was 'bad unless it was good, and then it's very good' or so the story goes. you could get a much better answer from statikk or one of the designers on live design.

Quote:
i pretty strongly disagree with this. not only do i never see yi, but akali and jax are pretty rare picks nowadays--people seemed to have branched out after the gunblade nerf. also, 'beat everything up' isn't really a valid strategy in my experience. i see a lot of teams lose because they focus too much on killing mindlessly.

based on what i see, bot picks are usually tanky and good pushers. i see maokai, malz, yorick, ryze, or heimer built with some decent tankiness. the skirmish champs i see usually have high mobility and/or team fight skills--kass, ez, wukong, leblanc, lee sin, alistar, soraka, et al. occasionally i'll see runners/campers like shaco, rammus, or shyvana. that said, i've seen most champs played well on dominion. the 'viable' pool is a lot larger than people give it credit for.

Duriel

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wheel View Post
Any chance the forums are gonna let us embed urls ever again?

Copying and pasting links is really silly. I know people used to cheat and link to their own upvote button but it shouldn't be -that- hard to filter out those links.

Thanks!
??
you can embed urls, lol

*******https://www.google.com/********

Flaming June

11-23-2011

Riot hates dominion?

Me too!

Yaladilae

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
i never saw much of it myself, but basically the situation as i heard it were that runners (in the right hands) can be highly disruptive and very effective depending on the opposition. if a runner, or runners, found themselves against a team that couldn't handle them effectively, blessing exacerbated the issue. so, it was an item that was 'bad unless it was good, and then it's very good' or so the story goes. you could get a much better answer from statikk or one of the designers on live design.
Thanks for the response
First of all, i guess i will just have to get into dominion much more regarding the second part of your message. And i totally agree with the tanky bot lane.

But from what i quoted above, i actually see nothing wrong with highly disruptive and being effective. I mean, how is that even an issue in the first place
1 person running to capture a tower, could potentially get killed by a whole team easily. It's a risk and reward thing one is willing to take
Isn't dominion suppose to be able capturing tower as well as just fighting?

I've played a runner role for alot of games, i won about 65/35 of those, and i can tell you the ones i won are the ones where the opposing teams don't know how to handle this
The ones i lost are either my team doesn't know how to handle them, or the other team does actually handle runners well to counter effectively (believe me, it's easier then what people think)

Disruptive play should be a strategy too? If not, why Dominion, even bubble shooter have disruptive play there too...

ImARobotBoopBeep

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethKips002 View Post
Good. It shouldn't exist in the first place. Waste of development time that could have been used on Magma Chamber.
GTFO
Like it has been said a BILLION times before:
Making a new summoners rift like map would be totally unproductive.
Why?
Because a majority of the players would choose either one of them so one would be played significantly more than the other one until the other one is left in the dust even through it's about the same map.
And as SR is already quite common and used for 2 years you don't need to ask on what map the pros will play.
Wasted time for a new Twisted Treeline.
This is neither Counter Strike nor MW3 where you don't care about the map that much and even at those games there are maps that are played way more often than others.

Also:
Dominion is not at all forgotten Riot still talks about it whenever they get the opportunity to it even got an own section in each spotlight.

srkfx

11-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Meh Now View Post
??
you can embed urls, lol

*******https://www.google.com/********
Stop embarrassing yourself -.-