How to Review a Champion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CordsOfThought

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

Do you have tips to get scaling right? I can't seem to figure out what is to high and to low. It's more or less the flat damage it does plus the scaling that's annoying me. Also is lore a necessary thing to have when you make a concept? here's a link to my concept http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=19200052#post19200052 And thank you for this it has been most helpful.

Jaykoboy

01-02-2012

Admittedly, I'm horrid with scaling. Go ask Echoing about that. IMO, 0.7 isn't too bad, but to the public, it's apparently doomsday for the other team. (I don't see them whining about Veigar, and he has a 0.6, 1.0, and 1.2 AP ratio on his abilities.)

Too high for an aggressive ability is probably about 0.9 or 0.8. Too low, even for a defending ability (Namely Alistar's Headbutt) would be about either flat damage to 0.3.

Lore isn't necessary. But, it does add a bit of nice spice to the champion, explain some of their abilities, and give Riot, under the EXTREMELY RARE circumstance that they choose a champion from the forums, a guideline on how to make the character's official story.

Hope that helps! I may check your champ later.

bsnide

01-02-2012

bumping and +1

CordsOfThought

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2012

Thanks it actually helped more than you might have thought. I will keep this in mind

Espy Psyche

01-02-2012

Requesting this for sticky.

Aetherspawn

01-03-2012

This is actually a good thread. It's a lot like the way I've judged the past MCCC contests. One other thing I would say though is that you do need to be honest about everything. If something is bad and needs to be revised, you need to tell them that the idea is bad and needs to be revised. There are some times where you need to just say "scrap the idea and start over" for whatever reason (maybe the idea is impossible to implement effectively, is broken in general, or is anti-fun). Don't be afraid to do this. Remember, when you're reviewing someone's idea, you're not there to be their friend (but you should be friendly). You're there to help them improve. You need to show them their mistakes and give them ideas on how to fix it (or just some general advice).

Also important as Jaykoboy stated is to praise the good parts of it. You can't just sit there and complain about everything. (Almost) Every champ concept has something good and salvageable in it. No one will want to read your criticism if you always say negative things. Show the positives too.

Overall, +1 for this thread. Very good advice here.

Jaykoboy

01-04-2012

Thank you, Aether, for the word of advice. I'll get to adding that at once!

And I'm so glad that people have found this helpful. I really am doing it for the community. Even if only a few people know about this, it'll help a lot.

Jaykoboy

01-05-2012

Bumping. I'm really glad I've been able to help everyone, and I'm sorry for not bumping it recently.

Jaykoboy

01-06-2012

Bumping once more!

Jaykoboy

01-06-2012

Bumpa-bumpa.