How do you set up smart cast?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Commandershlong

11-22-2011

I don't know how it's done.

TwistWrist

11-22-2011

Smartcast is already set.

Should be shift+key.

So smartcasting Q is shift+Q.

You can rebind them though.

Kewww

11-22-2011

What's smart casting?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-22-2011

Rather than having to click to select your target, smart cast will automatically cast on whatever the cursor is over, assuming of course that it's a valid target.

It allows you to get your spells off more quickly, and the only real detriment is that you can't see the range finders.

MightyCheese

11-22-2011

its nice for people like veigar who will stun then get curser over and just do shift + q then e then r.
This opposed to getting the cursor over the enemy and doing q then click then e then click then r then click. I don't think it makes much of an impact on most characters but for a select few it can be very nice.

Farew311

11-22-2011

Step by step process:
1. Create a custom game and start it with only you in it (so you can access in game settings without being a sitting duck)
2. Press escape
3. Choose "Keyboard Bindings"
4. You should see a scroll bar on the right of the menu. Use it to scroll down until you see the options "Smart Cast Spell 1-4".
5. Click on "Smart Cast Spell 1" and press q.
6. Repeat for each of the remaining skills with their appropriate hotkeys.
7. If you want, go ahead and set up "Smart Cast Summoner Spell 1-2" with the hotkeys d and f
8. Click OK
9. Exit the menu

Assuming you followed the instructions right, you should now smartcast.

TwistWrist

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyCheese View Post
its nice for people like veigar who will stun then get curser over and just do shift + q then e then r.
This opposed to getting the cursor over the enemy and doing q then click then e then click then r then click. I don't think it makes much of an impact on most characters but for a select few it can be very nice.
Other than a few ults, I pretty much smartcast everything now. And looks like I don't even need to smartcast Rumble's ult anyway...assuming that I'll ever buy him.

Not saying that you have to smartcast but I would definitely give a shot. Playing combo champs is soooo much easier. I actually like smartcasting for skillshots as well...getting skillshots off just a little faster helps a lot when you have a narrow window to hit your skillshots.

Delfong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2011

Oh gawd, I can't imaging playing enough to have the range of all my abilities for all my champs memorized...

xpsychedelico

11-23-2011

Abilities that are similar tend to have similar ranges as well. The champions do not have that much variance in the ranges, only some specific ones deviate from "the usual." You don't need to memorize the range, once you've played a champion a few times, you will get the hang of how close you need to be to cast something. Almost all straight skillshots have the same range, some go a bit further.

I also smartcast everything now, unless I'm playing with a new champion who has an AOE I'm unfamiliar with--then it's good to know how wide it goes. Even if your default is smartcast, if you put your mouse cursor over an ability, the range marker pops out, though you might want to have your champion near the top of your screen to see how far skillshots go as they point towards your cursor (i.e. southwards).

ShadyGrave

11-23-2011

i loooove smartcasting. but i wont lie, im still getting the kinks out of it. amazing on champs that you know the distance, and especially good on burst mages.

if you know the distance of an ability, its easy to use smartcasting. i tried using half smartcasting half not smartcasting. game didnt end well lol kept clicking W and thinking the spell would auto cast. ended horribly.