Can someone explain runes to me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eleven13

11-22-2011

Hey Everyone,

So I just hit level 20 a few nights ago, and I realize that this is the level that I can now buy T3 runes.

I never even looked at runes before, because I always read on here that they are a waste of IP until you get to Tier 3 at level 20. I have no idea how the rune system works or what the terminology means (flats, quints, etc), or how I would know which runes would benefit me the most.

I'm sitting on about 11.2k IP, some of which I'll use to buy champs, but I'd also like to start investing in runes.

Would you guys mind informing me on the overview of how runes work and how to efficiently set up a page? I love to jungle, but I also like to be able to play whatever role my team needs, so how could I build my pages to allow more efficient jungling but still have some benefit to the other roles?

Thanks!

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-22-2011

Marks:
The safest bet here is a set of each ArPen and MPen marks, as there's nobody out there who can't use one or the other. (Some junglers will have more minimaxed pages, including AS and/or AD, but it's not required for par performance.)

Seals:
If you want to jungle, then hands down you're going to want flat armor seals; I can't think of a jungler that can't at least make use of them (and most actually require them for optimal play). They'll be at least decent in lane, but you might also want to look into mana regen @18, as combined with runes, these will help a lot of champions forgo building mana regen items.

Glyphs:
Anything from scaling MR, cdr, or flat/scaling AP work here depending on who you play.

Quints:
Some typical 'global' quints are move speed or flat health, though ArPen and MPen are common (at least one or two; I think junglers often run one AD quint and 2 ArPen quints).

Eleven13

11-22-2011

Thanks for the help Panzer! By a "set," what exactly do you mean? And what exactly are the differences between Marks, Seals, Glyphs, and Quints?

deathmetalfan

11-22-2011

Runes are small bonuses you can give to a particular champion. There are four different categories of runes; marks (offensive), seals (defensive), glyphs (magical) and quintessences (utility). They are commonly called reds, yellows, blues and golds/purples respectively.

Within each category of runes, runes are classified as primary or secondary. Primary runes confer larger bonuses than secondary runes. Here is an example: Alacrity runes confer an attack speed bonus. A single Tier 3 Mark of Alacrity provides an attack speed bonus of 1.7% whereas a Tier 3 Seal of Alacrity gives a 0.76% attack speed bonus. In this case, the Mark is considered a primary rune while the Seal is a secondary rune.

Since you asked about flats, let me explain the distinction between per-level runes and flat runes. Let's consider mana regeneration runes. A single Tier 3 Seal of Clarity gives 0.065 mana regen every 5 seconds per level (this is your champion level in-game). At champion level 1, your champion will have 0.065 mana regen from this Seal in addition to your champion's innate mana regeneration. As your champion's level increases, the Seal of Clarity scales up. Therefore, at champion level 2, the rune will provide 0.130 mana regen and so on. At champion level 18, you will have 1.17 mana regen. A flat mana regeneration rune on the other hand, provides a flat amount of mana regeneration which does not scale up with champion level. A Tier 3 Seal of Replenishment for example provides 0.41 mana regen every 5 seconds. You can probably see the trade-off already. A flat rune gives higher mana regen at early levels whereas a per-level rune has higher mana regen late game. It's up to you to decide which you think better suits your play style.

There is no set standard on how to setup a rune page. You need to figure out what works well with a particular champion role. Let me give you an example. An AP caster like Annie, Brand or Morgana relies on spells to deal damage. Therefore, it is very useful to take magic penetration marks to increase your spell damage by cutting through an enemy champion's innate magic resistance early game. Spell casters like Swain or Anivia are very mana hungry. Mana regeneration runes can help with mana starvation. In most high-level games, AP casters or mages take the middle lane against another spell caster. It is quite likely that this enemy champion is running magic penetration runes. To counter this, many players will take magic resistance runes (typically glyphs). Most spell casters scale damage off ability power. Therefore, ability power quintessences can work quite well. Again, this is only one possible setup.

Finally, I'll give you some rune advice for jungling. This applies to an AD bruiser jungler like Warwick or Nocturne. This setup is not appropriate for caster junglers like Fiddlesticks. Jungle monsters have a fair bit of armor, so armor penetration is almost essential to fast jungle clear times. Marks of Desolation are usually chosen since they are primary runes and provide the highest possible armor penetration bonus. This also helps when you gank targets that stack armor. Almost all junglers take some armor runes because jungle creeps hurt at early levels. For weaker junglers like Amumu, it is critical to take armor so that you don't die while clearing the red buff lizard. This is less of an issue now with the new season 2 masteries but extra armor is always useful for keeping you at safe health levels in your jungle. Junglers like Warwick benefit a lot from attack speed, so you could also consider taking those runes. Magic resistance runes are very useful on junglers early game so that you take less damage from AP casters while ganking them in lane. Again, it all comes down to what works well with a particular champion.

I know this is a lot to take in but an easy starting point is to look up champion guides on websites like Mobafire. Almost all of them will suggest rune sets for a particular build. Don't blindly follow the recommendations though. Try and understand what benefit each rune type will give your champion and see if it fits your play style. This will help you avoid spending a ridiculous amount of IP on worthless runes. I hope this was helpful and that I haven't confused you too much. Feel free to ask if you have any additional queries. Good luck!

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-22-2011

Marks are the red ones, seals yellow, glyphs blue, and quints purple.

At 30 you'll have 3 quint slots, and 9 of each of the others.

Marks, Seals, and Glyphs each have 'primary' stats, as well as secondary stats. A primary stat for a type is one that will have more of that stat on one rune than the other two types. (A single AD Mark will give more than either a single AD Seal or a single AD Glyph.)

Marks are the more physical and offensive ones: ArPen, MPen, AD and other physical stats.
Seals are more sustain/physical defensive ones: Health, both regens, armor.
Glyphs are more magic: cdr, AP, MR.
Quints are basically a jack of all trades slot; there's no real 'bad' rune in quints. They also have some additional stats though that aren't found in the others: xp, gold, and move speed.

Eleven13

11-22-2011

Thank you both again, and thanks a ton for the in depth post deathmetalfan.

I definitely have some reading/researching to do =P I just have a final few questions:

1.) Since I'm sitting on a lot of IP right now, would it be worth it to invest in an additional rune page while I can, or is 2 good enough?

2.) Once you make a rune page, can you just keep substituting runes in and out in between games?

3.) And you can use a rune more than once? For example, if I buy a rune and use it on rune page 1, can I also use it on rune page 2 while it's on rune page 1?

Thanks =)

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-22-2011

I wouldn't suggest buying another rune page until you need another page; an extra rune page without the runes for it is... well useless. (See the next point as you can switch up pages.)

You can swap runes similar to masteries, however you cannot do so during champion selection (which you can do with masteries); you can choose the page during that time, but you cannot make changes to a particular page.

Runes can be used once per page, but on as many pages as you want. (This is why it's called a 'set' of 9 marks/seals/glyphs or 3 quints, because that's all you need.)

Eleven13

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
I wouldn't suggest buying another rune page until you need another page; an extra rune page without the runes for it is... well useless. (See the next point as you can switch up pages.)

You can swap runes similar to masteries, however you cannot do so during champion selection (which you can do with masteries); you can choose the page during that time, but you cannot make changes to a particular page.

Runes can be used once per page, but on as many pages as you want. (This is why it's called a 'set' of 9 marks/seals/glyphs or 3 quints, because that's all you need.)
Ahh I see, thank you. I was just figuring that if I bought 3, I could have a Jungle specific page along with 2 "general" AP/AD type pages or whatever, but that is sort of useless at the moment like you said.

Thanks again for your help, gonna go browse!

Edit: Just for reference, above you said that I should get flat armor seals for jungling. So does that mean that I buy a "greater seal of resilience" and fill up all of my seal slots with it? Or is it up to me whether I want to combine it with other things?

TwistWrist

11-22-2011

If you don't need them, then you don't have to use them.

However you have to remember...just barely finishing your route with 50 health is not good. You'll get counterjungled super easily by a Shaco or might die to the wolves getting in a few more crits than normal.

Ultimately, it is up to you but most junglers should take 9 flat armor seals.

Only jungler that I know doesn't need flat armor seals is Fiddlesticks. You'll be a bit on the lower end when you finish blue buff, but you should be pretty good healthwise for the rest of the jungle.

I guess I would use dodge seals on Amumu and run armor marks.

Axis the Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
If you don't need them, then you don't have to use them.

However you have to remember...just barely finishing your route with 50 health is not good. You'll get counterjungled super easily by a Shaco or might die to the wolves getting in a few more crits than normal.

Ultimately, it is up to you but most junglers should take 9 flat armor seals.

Only jungler that I know doesn't need flat armor seals is Fiddlesticks. You'll be a bit on the lower end when you finish blue buff, but you should be pretty good healthwise for the rest of the jungle.

I guess I would use dodge seals on Amumu and run armor marks.
My problem with Dodge Seals on Amumu is that it reduces the proc of Tantrum's cooldown reduction. I've found that flat armor seals and magic pen marks work surprisingly well on him (synergizes well with his passive).