AD Ezreal: Why is Trinity Force core?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Afny

11-21-2011

AD Ez players: do you rush Trinity Force? Do you build it at all? Why, or why not?

I've been playing Ezreal for a while now, and I've stopped building Sheen/Trinity force. Virtually every guide out there disagrees with me, claiming that Trinity Force is core and I should be rushing it. I understand that Ezreal can USE all the stats on Trinity Force which is why it is considered cost effective, but I'm just not convinced he benefits enough from it or its component items.

First, Sheen. It makes Mystic Shot hit for a ton and lets me spend mana a little more lavishly. Unfortunately, +25 ability power is pretty useless considering the 0.2 scaling on Ezreal's Q. Also, it's not necessarily optimal to frontload a lot of damage onto a blockable skillshot. Mystic Shot is still an incredibly strong zoning tool bot lane without the extra damage, which I feel just doesn't transfer well into late game.

Phage adds some health, which is nice if i'm laning with someone like Blitzcrank (no heal), and a small amount of AD. The slow is what is really appealing about this item, and it's one of the major reasons I'm still on the fence about Trinity Force.

Zeal adds AS, Crit chance, and movement speed. Back when I used to build Trinity Force, I rarely built this item, usually opting to buy TF outright once I'd completed Sheen and Phage. That said, all these stats benefit Ezreal in every stage of the game.

On Trinity Force itself, I'm left with +30 AP. This is the least useful stat on the item by far, and feels like wasted gold.
+30 AD is alright, but it's extremely low compared to any of the B.F. sword based items I could have built instead.
+30% Attack Speed is very nice. These days, I usually get AS from The Black Cleaver. It comes a little later in my build than it would with Trinity Force, so I rely on Rising Spell Force to keep my AS up until I buy it.
+15 Critical Strike chance is good, especially with the new masteries. I think Crit is a very good stat on Ezreal despite his Q not working like Gangplank. That said, IE adds significantly more Crit chance and boosts the damage of a critical strike.
250 health and mana helps, but also feel a little unnecessary.
+12% Movement Speed helps with positioning and chasing. I no longer build any items other than Berserker's Greaves that boost my movement speed, and Ezreal is noticably slower because of it.

So why should I be building this item? The way I see it, rushing Brutalizer and then situationally building Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, Black Cleaver and Madred's Bloodrazer allows me to put my gold to better use and be a much bigger threat mid and late game. My AD will be much higher much faster, letting me deal damage where I need it in teamfights instead of breaking Q after Q on the back of a persistent off-tank. Sure, my attacks won't slow without Red Buff, but that's what my team is for.

OutlawStarx2

11-21-2011

Trinity is an all around good item. Any champion with an ability that applies on hit effects benefits about the same. It applies to only base attack damage, so the bonus damage from trinity's effect varies between 150 (150% ezreal's lvl 18 attack power) and 180 (150% tryndamere's attack power).

In the end you should you build ezreal the way you like playing him the best.

I've been putting it back into my build, but i still haven't decided 100% how i want to build him, but it's a decent AD item.

Syrenol

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2011

Rushing a quick sheen then getting yourfirst core item, inf edge/bloodthirster/cleaver, then upgrading it to trinities after seems to work best for me.
I like having the extra mana from the sheen so i can actually harass a bit.
Also the AP from TF isn't useless, he gets damage on all his spells from it.

Afny

11-21-2011

You're right, useless was hyperbole. But it is pretty bad: 0.2 scalingon Mystic Shot means that AP is all but wasted as damage. I almost never take a rank in Essence Flux until 13 (and couldn't afford its mana costs if I did), and Arcane Shift doesn't reliable hit champions. The only ability it benefits practically is Arcane Barrage.

KudoKou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2011

You don't have to rush Trinity, but skipping out on Sheen is literally cutting your Q damage in half. Your mid-game pokes will be much weaker and you won't be able to kite people to death like you could with a Sheen. If Sheen was a big expensive item that slowed down your IE or BT a long ways, ofc you wouldn't get it, but for 1250 gold, there's really no reason to ever skip it on Ez.

Mambazo

11-21-2011

Don't look at wasted stats. What matters is how strong the benefits are. I mean, sheen is core for my akali build, but she doesn't even have mana.

Ez can apply that trinity force proc from what, 1000 range? That's beastly. Obviously if you don't like it, don't build it, but I'd never play AD ez without it.

Cenerae

11-22-2011

You already noted that every piece of the trinity force is good for Ezreal in general.

The combine cost for trinity is only 300 gold, so what's not to like?

Also, that AP does add damage to your W, E and R as well as your Q. No it's not a lot of damage, but it's still there.

Warrrrax

11-22-2011

Normally it costs how much gold to add 50 to 100 damage to every Q? That would be 50-100 AD right? Which costs around 4000g worth of itemization. But Sheen gives it to you for 1200g instead, plus a bit of mana and AP which is marginally useful.
(Yes, buying true AD would also boost your autoattack and Trueshot, but bear with me)

So basically Sheen is a very cost-effective way of getting a bunch of "virtual AD" added to your favorite attack.

As for TriForce, it is a logical upgrade to the Sheen. It adds 50 more AD to your Q basically just from the Proc. That is worth a good 2000g right there in virtual AD.

In addition, all the other bonuses apply and are useful to Ez, including the slow-on-hit, more real AD, health and MOVE SPEED. Then you've got marginals like mana, crit, AS, and AP.

But even with the marginals, between the real AD, the virtual AD, and the other desirable effects, TriForce is well worth it.

OutlawStarx2

11-22-2011

why did i get 2 down votes...?

Cxhris

11-22-2011

instead of triforce, you'd build an IE, BT, BC. Well of course? Those 3 Put together is WAAAAAAY more expensive than just 1 triforce.

TriForce - 4020

Blood Thirster - 3000
Infinity Edge - 3830
Black Cleaver - 2865

So basically You get just about all the effects of all (not the unique passives) for more than half the price.