Jungle Poppy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fluffy1

07-08-2010

@gaysensei10: too much alcohol is a bad thing.

Grimmhammer

07-08-2010

I actually tried to read that again... everything taste purple and dumb now...

Klaste

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-08-2010

Obvious troll, too annoying to read. Meh.

Speusippus

07-08-2010

I read around the forums that golem buff is important for some characters like Heimer and, here, Poppy.

I play Twisted Treeline. Does the golem on Twisted Treeline give a buff of some kind or not?. I killed it, but as far as I could tell, got no buff. In fact, it seems like only three creeps on TT give buffs--the lizard, the dragon and the wolf. But I'm not sure.

wildfire393

07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speusippus View Post
I read around the forums that golem buff is important for some characters like Heimer and, here, Poppy.

I play Twisted Treeline. Does the golem on Twisted Treeline give a buff of some kind or not?. I killed it, but as far as I could tell, got no buff. In fact, it seems like only three creeps on TT give buffs--the lizard, the dragon and the wolf. But I'm not sure.
The Golem in question is the large Golem on Summoner's Rift. He gives scaling cooldown reduction (up to 25% I believe) as well as a % of your maximum mana every second.

On summoner's rift, there are the following creep camps:
3 Red Wraiths + 1 Blue Wraith (no buff, one on each side of the map right by mid, Purple top, Blue Bottom)
2 Small Golems or 2 Small Wolves and one Large Wolf (No buffs, two on each side of the map, one by Purple top/Blue Bot mid tower entrance and the other smack dab in the middle of the other side)
1 Large Golem and 2 Small Lizards (Blue buff for mana/cdr, one on each side, Purple Bottom, Blue Top)
1 Large Lizard and 2 Small Lizard (Red buff for damage over time and slow on autoattacks, one on each side, Purple Top, Blue Bottom)
1 Dragon (no buff, Global +130 gold and Exp, Blue side of river bottom of mid)
1 Baron (Global buff for +damage, +both regens, +AP, global gold and exp, Purple side of river top of mid)

On Treeline, there are the following creep camps:
1 Large Lizard (Red buff same as SR, global exp/gold, smack dab in the middle)
3 Red Wraiths + 1 Blue Wraith or 1 Small Golem, 2 Small Lizards, 1 Small Wraith (no buff, both left and right of Lizard, slightly below)
2 Small Wolves + 1 Large Wolf or 2 Small Golems (Far left and Far right of top Jungle)
2 Blue Wraiths + 1 Huge Wraith or 2 Large Wolves + 1 Huge Wolf (mid left and right of top jungle, Wraith gives +Movespeed buff, Wolf gives +%damage/cooldown buff)
1 Dragon (Global exp/gold and %damage buff, bottom-middle of top jungle)

Camen Sieder

07-08-2010

nice jungle set up, but I would definitely swap out a guinsoos for your bloodthirster/B.F. sword. It is just one of those items that work insanely well with a trinity force especially for slower attacking champs like poppy.

I would also ignore the brutalizer because that is more of an early game item imo. for around 10k you can pick up a trinity-guinsoos-merc treads and upgrade your vamp sceptor to a starks.

VoiceofTreason

07-08-2010

I like playing a crit pop as my triforce poppy never was a great success but I can definitely see how a jungling poppy could be successful. I am not sure how an ap poppy would be though, please don't argue that it can be done or even that it is successful because I am just stating that a crit or triforce poppy would prob be better. An ap poppy with 200 ap (a large number for 2 ap items) would only deal 280 damage more if you got the wall stun damage with a dev blow combo after, add sheen combos and it would be better of course. The only way I could see ap poppy doing better than crit is with 200+ap and a lichbane (proc hits more than the 200% crit chance midgame) but then you have to wait on cd while with crit you have a 50/50 chance to crit with my build but I am not waiting on CDs.

The only viable ap poppy build is the deathfire poppy because she can immunity then pop deathfire, charge/proc lich, dev blow proc lich, and maybe proc lich/escape with paragon all in the 6 secs time with 30-40% bonus damage mid to late game. But even this build cannot farm/gain gold as effectively as a crit poppy with only 2 avarcices blades and an IE.

Also for those of you that argue about which pen runes to use:
This arguement usually comes from the desire to burst harder with dev blow. Get this- dev blow damage is buffed by armor pen AND magic pen! OMG rlly? Yes rlly, read the tooltip, it adds magic damage on to your attack damage + a 8% max enemy hp bonus damage (not either as far as I can tell, may work as a drain without vamp effect) so both pens help dev blow almost equally (magic damage on dev blow scales much like poppy's natural AD). Since both magic and armor pen runes help dev blow you need to look elsewhere to find which would be better on poppy, magic pen would help the little damage you deal with charge and thats it while armor pen helps boost your auto attacks(proc hits). It also is notable that almost everyone in the game right now stacks more armor than MR even though most (or all?) champs start with more MR than armor.

malphismia

07-08-2010

Thanks for the feedback.

@ XxKillMeFirstxX: I never thought of getting Guinsoo's on Poppy, and now that I think about it is a great weapon on her. But I would never switch out Brutalizer, since it's the only CDR item I have. With Brutalizer + Golem buff, you get your Q and E to be very spammable, which is crucial to nuking and killing +2 enemies in short amounts of time.

@Voice of Treason: Lichbane procs are MUCH more deadly than Trinity Procs. But you did bring up the good point of having a harder time to farm, which is the only irk I have with Poppy.
And I've just discovered that spell vamp > lifesteal on poppy, where spell vamp is only on AP items.

KimchiDestroyer

07-08-2010

sheen ftw!

GPEternity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2010

I'm pretty sure the tool-tip is misleading, when you hit with dev blow you only get 1 numerical value. Notice that on all attack that do more than 1 type of damage, there are 2 numbers that pop up;

Jax and Corki's attacks for instance, when Jax hits empower or relentless he does his attack damage + bonus damage, the attack shows 2 different numbers, one for the physical and one of the magical. Same applies to Corki's attacks that do % true damage.

Simply put, Magic damage and Physical damage are not "lumped" when they are applied to the same attack, they will show up separately at the same time. Attacks which only display 1 value of damage indicate that the entirety of the attack is 1 damage type.

It is my understanding that Poppy's dev blow actually converts her attack damage into magic damage for the attack, which is why Mpen is more effective on her than Arpen for the sake of dev. The appeal of arpen is just to make her auto attacks stronger which allows poppy to deal 2 sources of damage, making it hard to effectively tank her without getting both Mr and Ar.

The Lichbane vs Trinity proc is a matter of math. Lichbane if more effective when your AP > 1.3xbase attack. I believe Poppy has 118 base damage at lv18. So AP is more effective when you have more than ~160, which is typically 2-3 medium AP items, or rather 1-2 more items after Lichbane.

As a footnote; Poppy's Q scales 1:1 with AD meaning she SotO snowballs almost as well as Mejais does.