What's the consensus on tanky DPS Maokai?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KidsLockInYi

06-14-2011

This is what I do, and I play a very strong maokai.
start dorans shield. Rush giant's belt. get mercs, turn giants belt into warmogs and then build tanky.
Warmogs gives him the extra 1300 or whatever hp when filled and causes every AA in a teamfight to heal like 400 HP. Which is ALOT every hit.

Skill Order, Max W first, taking Q when you can.
Here's where things get interesting. I DO NOT take a point into R at lvl 6. Infact, I don't at lvl 11 either. I wait untill I max W and Q and get 1 point in E before I start taking my ult. Here's why.

His ult isn't good. It doesn't give enough reduction to be that helpful and it's damage is lulzy, you're not an AP carry. You don't really deal damage. Plus, As maokai, you REALLY want that maximum root duration as fast as possible. It's what will win you games. Also the slow on his Q. Generally, his skills are better than his ult. So I wait till lvl 12, I know alot of other 2k players do the same.
I also run Flash/Ignite.
Gives amazing Flash/W initiations + Ignite will help alot for obv reasons.

^ Quoted from someone detailing a plan as tanky DPS Maokai. So far I'm having so much more success with it than building as AP Maokai with Sapling first. I like having an aggressive lane partner with my root, puts the fear in the enemy lane.

doo0ooooooom

06-14-2011

i build maokai as a strait tank and it works fine. Maokai's W is a great iniitiator and his Q can be used for peeling people off the carry, plus his R protects the team...

But that guy is totally insane for not taking ult at level 6... 20% less damage is a lot, especially after initiating W (which makes you a target)... plus you can cancel it early for more burst magic damage, or even farm minions with it, the cooldown's pretty short.

i also think rushing warmogs is a bad idea, he wouldn't have enough mana and he also needs cooldown reduction so he can use his q/w more often. I usually rush glacial shroud and spirit visage.

KidsLockInYi

06-14-2011

I don't know, teams usually don't start roaming until around level 11-13, I want to max the root duration out as long as possible. With defense masteries, tank runes, and giants belt/warmogs I do become very difficult to take down. I don't have mana problems at all since I do manage it smartly.

creamfrache

06-14-2011

Quote:
I don't know, teams usually don't start roaming until around level 11-13, I want to max the root duration out as long as possible. With defense masteries, tank runes, and giants belt/warmogs I do become very difficult to take down. I don't have mana problems at all since I do manage it smartly.
interesting
can you post your masteres/runes and your skill order too? and the person youre quoting?
thanks

corallein

06-15-2011

Maokai's probably better as tanky AP. He gets a 2.2 ratio on a full W+E+Q combo (0.8 for W, 0.4+0.6 for E, and 0.4 for Q).

His ult can also add a decent amount of damage and also adds a 0.5 AP ratio (+ 40% of any damage your team takes while in it).

That also doesn't sound like tanky DPS. It sounds like straight tanky (unless there's an Atma's thrown in there). Atmog's wouldn't be terrible except that Maokai has crappy movement speed and sub-par attack speed. So it's still not very good. Also, farming that would be a ***** with no AP for his AOE skills.

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2011

i take my E first, then get W then Q then max out E, taking my R anytime i can. I start with a doran's ring and never have problems with staying alive or dishing out a decent amount of damage. I've never needed to get a mog cause i build enough defense that my passive can keep me alive decently well. besides, it's too expensive for just the life imo.

Redenbacher

06-15-2011

Nothing about your build has anything to do with the 'DPS' part of 'Tanky DPS'. You started with 'Tank' and continued to build 'Tanky'.

Warmog's is an interesting idea - the quantity of HP healed through passive will go up substantially. However, if you are harassing properly like you should be in the laning phase with Sapling to deny your enemies farm and XP, you will run out of mana. If you're not, you are being much too conservative and ignoring one of Maokai's primary strengths in lane. I would recommend some form of mana regeneration, such as a philo stone, to maintain a strong presence in the lane.

Then you can go hog wild with whatever tanky build you like. I'm partial to a Randuin's + Veil build myself (initiate with W, slow with Q - slow everyone again with Randuin's to keep them in ultimate). However, a Warmog's + Frozen Heart + Veil/Abyssal would also work.

Aikimiller

06-15-2011

The times I've played him, I've always gone AP/Tank. Glacial shroud, abyssal sceptre, zhonya's, ect.

Warmogs isn't a bad idea though, given how amazing his farm is.

Tohsaccharin

06-15-2011

I think you would have to be completely insane to not take his ult at level 6.

It's such a short, powerful cooldown. It can completely turn the tide of a teamfight or even be used for farming.

If you have a giant minion wave and two enemy champions coming to your tower, throw up your ult before they get there and sapling the wave's casters. Most people would back off when they see the ult, and you can clear the entire creep wave easily. It will be back up in 30 seconds.

Bumbah

06-15-2011

I max W, E and only take R > Q when I have to. No need to grab ult at 6 if you have a strong laning parter + rank 2 root. That's instant death anyways.

I still prefer Ap/Tanky. Rush 2 catalysts then turn them into RoA and BV. Merc treads. Then build MR or Armor according to enemies ( Abyssal, Frozen Heart, Randuins, Rylais, sunfire are all good options)

My Runes are Mpen, Armor, MR and HP, all flat. (Red, Yellow, Blue, Quints respectively)

9/21/0

usually grab Teleport and Clarity. Clarity is great for late game when you're spamming your ult and all your spells. Also, i don't grab any mana regen runes or masteries so i need it.