Gangplank Mid?! Carry?! [Guide!]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hamburglin

06-29-2010

Yes he is better than you think, yes he takes a little different approach to the normal carry, and yes his parley crits make you feel good on the inside.

Gangplanks main strengths are:

-Farming ability with his parley skill. You net a LOT of gold with it, as you max it first. Along with 2 of your first items being gold per second ones... he is a money making machine.

-His ability to move in and out of combat with his remove scurvy skill, and his passive movement speed increase, along with phantom dancer being a core item in his build. You will have around 480 move speed with him.

-His ability to crit the **** out of someone from ranged with parley (being physical damage and all), and to shake off cc to get away untouched or move in close at will (see above).

-His amazing ult that can be placed anywhere on the map to almost guarantee early ganks, pick off runners, or help sway a team fight in your team's favor. And yeah, I do place it behind someone I'm about to run up on... works wonders on Ashe in mid, especially after he ults you and you press W (remove scurvy).

-His auto attacks reduces the targets healing taken by 50%, need I say more?

His weaknesses are:

-Squishy just like most other carries, and I do not get any hp items until frozen mallet late game. It takes some finesse to use him like this. Remove scurvy, run speed and ghost are his life savers.

-Extremely reliant on crit chance. Mediocre until mid game when you have enough crit chance to lay people on the ground with parley. He snowballs quickly after this though.

-No cc. Again, run speed and ghost helps make up for this, as does frozen mallet if you want to pick it up instead of a crit item early. In team fights, you need to run around the very egde of every one and pick people off with your gun... finesse again, but it's so worth two shotting a twitch with parley and an auto attack.

Important: Gangplank is not a normal carry, and usually not considered a carry at all because very few have figured out a good build with him. He needs massive run speed to make up for the fact that he can't close the gap or get away from people quickly, and he needs massive crit chance to make sure his damage ability - parley, does anything. These are the two most important factors about making gangplank work besides damage stats. He is NOT meant to stand on a champions face like a jax or yi or warwick does, he just doesn't have the same survivability skills, or massive melee damage like they do. Your job with gangplank is to get a parley crit, or two, or three, THEN run in and finish them (with your quick runspeed) while they wonder why they under estimated you. Imagine doing yi damage from a distance... this is Gangplank.

So now that you know GP can run around the map and slay whoever he wants at almost any time, and ult anywhere.... how do you play him? What skills, items, masteries and runes do you use? Here is a quick run down:

Skills
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Max parley first: This seems to be a no brainer, and I won't put much more thought into it for you. It hits as hard/harder than a spell, and can CRIT.

-Have at least one rank of remove scurvy on hand to get out of any cc. You will be surprised how much health this gives late game when it's rank 5, but I personally see raise morale as being better for ganking reasons.... just my play style. A more defensive style would be to max this first and just heal all the damage you take in a lane... don't do this if you are the carry though.

-Put the rest into your ult, and raise morale to get a nice movement and damage buff early. You are almost impossible to out run at raise morale 5 if you have boots, and at least a zeal. You will be running past an ulted yi while laughing if you choose ghost as a summoner spell.

Masteries --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0/9/21 - Wha wha what? Not offense for crit damage and stuff? Nope. Why? Personal choice (because it owns). I use this build because I've tried others and this one works for me. It synergizes very well with gankplank and other melee/tanks. It adds mana regen for farming early, aka starting your snowball quicker. It adds 2% dodge (I use dodge in yellows) and a nice dodge buff (run speed). It adds even more base run speed. It adds 6% spell cool down reduction (I use cool down reduction in my blue slots). It makes you level quicker. It makes your ghost quicker. It reduces the cool down of your summoner spells. And for what trade off? A little crit chance, 10% crit damage, 6 damage or so, and uh... more damage that you won't need. Your gun will hit hard enough with armor pen red runes and quints, trust me.

Runes -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quints - Armor pen.

Red - Armor pen. Why not crit damage? You get +50% crit damage if you fill out your whole BOOK. Or you could get 29 armor pen from red and quints, get a ghost blade, and enjoy your permanent +40%~ damage all the time, with yellow and blue slots still open.

Yellow - I use dodge as I like 35%~ dodge chance after my boots and phantom dancer. You could add more damage runes here if you like.

Blue - Cool down reduction. You get 5.85% from this, and 6% from my mastery build, along with 15% from ghost blade. That's 26.85%. You're ult timer has never looked so good, unless of course you have the golem too.

Items ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crit. Crit? Crit. His gun crits remember? My strat is to boost crit to 75% as fast as I can so I can do massive damage soon, along with infinities edge. Until you get your crit chance high, nothing else is worth it (with this play style). You literally will not be doing enough damage until you have at least 50% crit. When your parley doesn't crit, you don't, well, do anything unless you can sit in the lane to get more hits off.

1. Start the game with a meki pendant, or another mana regen item of your choice. You will need this for farming the **** out of creeps by last hitting with your gun. Resist temptation to spend more than a couple parley's on the enemy champs to scare them away from you, unless you know a gank is incoming to that enemy.

2. After farming a lot and getting to about level 7-9, it's time to get 2 avarice blades and your boots of choice. You can get these in pieces, and a good way to tell if you are on your way to owning is getting these all at once on your first trip back to base. I recommend dodge boots with a dodge book if you have it, as they will synergize well together, along with the phantom dancer you will get later. Obviously if the enemies are all magic damage get berserker for damage or magic resist, don't waste gold on magic pen boots, as it only affects your ultimate.

3. Get a zeal to make sure you can catch anyone at this point, especially those slow guys walking through your ult, and to easily harass with your gun. It adds much needed crit chance too. If you can't catch anyone to shoot them, you aren't going to get fed, and gangplanks lack of cc really needs run speed to make up for it.

4. At this point, if you are rolling your face on the keyboard and slaying everyone, get your infinities edge. Even if you are doing just normal, I'd still get it. It adds a ****load of damage and secures your place as the map rapist. Otherwise if you aren't the main carry for some reason, or need more run speed and dodge to stay alive (maybe lacking a tank), then get a phantom dancer. Both items share the 18% crit chance item... it's for you to decide what to build it into at this point.

5. Get whatever item you didn't make in step 4. At this point you will have nice damage and around 75% crit chance I believe. Note: If you don't get infinities edge early enough in games where they are mostly high hp and armor heroes, you will be hurting for more damage. Armor pen runes GREATLY help this problem, and that's why I get them over crit chance, as crit chance is EASY to get (avarice blades, which give you gold and built into ghost blade anyways).

Games often end here, if it doesn't....

6. Get a ghost blade for more damage due to armor pen, and a very nice cool down reduction buff to stack with your masteries and runes. FYI this will be half as expensive as normal since you already have an avarice blade that it needs to make it.

7. A frozen mallet for hp and the slow debuff, or another phantom dancer should suffice. These two could be swapped out for step 6 if you feel you don't need the extra damage.

The stats on my gangplank end game are:
35%~ dodge
75%~ crit chance
480~ move speed
-27%~ cool down reduction
50~ armor pen
and a gun that 1/3 to 3/4 shots anyone but a very high armored tank.

Summoner spells -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghost: This is my bread and butter. It lets you do what you normally do, even better. Run in, shoot, slice, run out. Or just run out as fast as you can before you get owned. Flash my work too, but ghost keeps you in range for longer most of the time, for more gun hits.

Heal: Some say if you have to use heal in the first place there is a problem... I say if you have to use heal you also just double healed with remove scurvy and fired off a nice parley shot to the skull when you normally wouldn't of been able to, and got yourself a kill. I play risky and enjoy forcing the enemy to over extend when they had no clue they were going to. Gangplank is one of the few heroes that can get a 500-900 damage shot off in one second from ranged. Get good at healing before you get ignited.

Flash: Not much to say about it. It's more for heroes who have a cc that is hard to pull off, or helps another skill of theirs, but ghost is better here IMO, as ghost keeps you next to enemies longer to fire another parley. Flash has the better defensive edge as it can tp you through walls.

Exhaust: I can see this as being a good replacement for heal.

Ignite: same as exhaust, but exhaust adds more survivability, due to it's slow and blind. Ignite is usually not needed because your melee does the same effect, and you almost always kill who you are after due to your runs peed and ranged crit machine, making the dot less worthwhile.

Cleanse: Double remove scurvy? Yes please. Even so, I don't use it as I like playing with double heal. This will make cleanse users feel even more empowered combined with remove scurvy's cc removal.

Strats -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work in Progress. Ask if you want something

Early game:
First you have a choice to make - Do you want to farm like crazy or try to kill the guy in mid? For this build, the first option makes most sense as you have no crit chance yet. You need to last hit every creep you can with parley, saving some mana for remove scurvy if they have cc, and avoid being hit, which is pretty easy I must say... just shoot and run back. If you want to gank early, get a full crit chance book, but don't be surprised when your hits aren't critting nearly as hard mid to late game, because of the lack of armor pen. Last whisper may make up for the lack of armor pen, but really doesn't synergize well with gangplank as there is no crit and he doesn't need much attack speed.

Denying creeps: Your raise morale skill lets you kill your own minions. This means that YOU get the kill, and denies the enemies exp and gold from that kill. It sounds fun, but almost all of your mana should be spent on farming. You could grab clarity, or more mana regen and have some fun if you want to do this.

Using your ultimate: This thing is great early game if you can figure out how to use it well. If you see a lane with enemies at half hp, let your team know you have it, watch them go into the fight making the other team question their sanity, and watch the enemies freak the **** out because they have almost no chance of getting away when you shoot a few cannonballs on their heads. Where you place it is key also. If you need it for the damage and slow, go ahead and lay it right on the person, aimed slightly to the side you think they are going to run. If you don't need it for the damage so much, use it to cut heroes off that are running to or from the battle.

Running up to mid right after you got your avarice blades and boots, parleying your enemy a few times, and ulting behind him and ghosting to him is great fun also.

Fighting late game team fights: This can be tricky, especially for cc heavy opposing teams. Even a fed gangplank can start getting his ass handed to him at this time because you will die very fast, being unable to get away easily. The trick here is to BACK OFF and hope to god you have at least one tank or initiator to start the fight and be focused. At that point you go in just enough to take off half health bars of life at a time, AS LONG AS they don't know what you are doing and focus you again. Laying an ult down obviously helps the fight out, or you can save it to catch a runner. This takes practice... knowing when to go in or not and is not just unique to gangplank. He is great at catching people here, as he has his ranged parley and will be running as fast as a blood scented warwick. if not faster with ghost.

Laning with someone:
Pick a partner that has good cc, since you lack it. A crit chance book may benefit you more here, as it will take a lot longer to get your crit chance up, gimping your ganking ability early. Just make sure to get last whisper and brutalizer earlier if you do this.

3v3: Get your reds and quints full of crit chance (14%), because these games don't last long enough to wait to get your crit chance high. The standard 2 avarice blades, then zeal, then infinities edge should work here.

Why Gangplank?

-Because taking a squishy from full to dead from a parley hit and one melee hit feels real good.

-Because out running a an ulted yi or blood scented warwick makes them cry.

-Because the other carries LOVE to under estimate a lone gangplank, and get dropped because of it.

KnockKnock

06-29-2010

wtf sdo you dao about the heimer gamn? he waons him i nthe midle and the nian the mid agame and then in the alte game too.

Hamburglin

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockKnock View Post
wtf sdo you dao about the heimer gamn? he waons him i nthe midle and the nian the mid agame and then in the alte game too.

For anyone that does care, you either spend your mana taking out his turrets as fast as you can, or play the finesse game and farm like normal.

Edit: I just looked at this guys latest posts, and it's gibberish like this on ten different posts in five minutes, lol.

Dragonmount

06-29-2010

You forgot about his unique ability to deny the other player creep kills.

Hamburglin

06-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmount View Post
You forgot about his unique ability to deny the other player creep kills.
I'll add it.

Bobahz

06-30-2010

Yup, GP could be a carry but there are better carries imo. I've finished last solo queue normal game with 25\3\10 or something like that cause of good start but it is more like exception )

With this build you cant harras enemy mid as your crit % = 0 and you cant get into melee range, while you can towerhug and farm well enough with Parley but that means that enemy mid farm better.

And you should rely on your team, their CC abilities as it is hard for GP to stay in melee range but if you can score early double kill with your ult, Parley and teamwork, then it is almost GG.

Belanova

06-30-2010

It's a waste of money to ever get more than one Avarice blade.

By the time you're getting your second blade, I was already back in lane finishing my "The Brutalizer".
Which gives attack, armor pen, and cooldown. Three VERY important stats for Gangplank.

I think your itemization could use a small tweak.

IceDive

06-30-2010

You discuss only strengths, not weaknesses

RHCPCanucks420

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockKnock View Post
What the **** am I reading!

Bobahz

06-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDive View Post
You discuss only strengths, not weaknesses
GP has no weak points, every1 know that! )