Best "first" champs for each role

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

azurefishie

05-25-2012

I hope I don't start a war here but I was curious for my friend and my own sake, what is the best champ to start out with in each role. For myself, I really want to learn jungling and solo top better. Again try not to flame others I'm just wondering.

TehJackAttack

05-25-2012

Highly dependent on your playstyle. Personally, I reccomend learning the following champs--

Soraka- Support
Graves- AD Carry
Yorick- Top Lane
Warwick - Jungle (if no jungle experience)
Nocturne - Jungle (if familiar with the basics of jungling)
Kennen - Mid lane (or top).

If you can learn the ins and outs of Kennen, there are very few reliable counters, and Kennen can even fill the role of an AD carry if you so desire.

arcticnerd

05-25-2012

As much as I love Yorick after the laning phase his usefulness falls off. Yes he can be a fed tanky dps character but without any real cc his only contribution to a team fight is his ult. As a tanky dps character he is hampered by his inability to catch most squishy and protect his own by his lack of cc and gap closer. If you can shut down the opposing top laner then that may be enough to win the game but there are better anti carries and better tanks that can fill the top lane position.

TehJackAttack

05-25-2012

Yorick is THE SAFEST PICK for top lane in the game. He has no hard counters, and he has MASSIVE TEAM FIGHT PRESENCE with his ult. Many people will try to save his ult until the carry is about to die. This is poor decision making. An early ult on your AD carry means a massive DPS boost for your entire team. Pop your ult on the AD carry early, and watch as the enemy can't deal with a 5v6.

Yorick is a bruiser. He is not a tank, he is not an "anti-carry." He is a near-unkillable, team boosting monster. Being able to bully the top lane out of exp range IS his main advantage, although he packs an AOE slow and movespeed buff in addition to his amazing team fight ult.

His ultimate is very weak in lane, and frequently I will avoid getting my first point in R until level 10, after I max E.

Junkie Cosmonaut

05-25-2012

Support - Soraka; very simple and promotes experimenting with AP if doing well
AD Carry - Ashe; she's used in the tutorials for a reason
Top - Mundo; learn tank, skill shots, and even AD bruiser all with one champion
Jungle - Trundle; His name rhymes with jungle for a reason
Mid - Annie; high damage output very simple concept of play (last hit with Q 4 times, poke)

acosn

05-25-2012

SUPPORT: Soraka and Taric. Neither are difficult to pick up, both have some nuance but you're by no means required to immediately be an expert at it.
TANK: Amumu if you like aggressive play styles, otherwise Shen.
RANGED CARRY: Ashe for a pure carry, Caitlynn for a soft carry. Neither are difficult to pick up, both are fairly forgiving of mistakes.
MELEE CARRY: Master Yi. If nothing else he'll show you the short comings of melee carries in the current meta.
AP SOAK: Morganna. Swain gets an honorable mention.
AP CASTER: Annie or Karthus.
JUNGLER: Udyr, Shyvanna or Trundle.
AD / SOFT AP SOAK: Garen or Warwick.

Proletaria

05-25-2012

Top and Jungle: Udyr, safe at both even as a blind/first pick.

Mid: Galio, safe in the current meta most of the time. Avoid being farmed by fotm ahiri. He can also perform valiantly top and screw up the odd ap top laner well.

Bot AD: Graves, safe and easy compared to most carry champs. More durable than most too.

Support: Lots of relatively safe picks. Sorakka being the most notably sustain/passive among them, although if you can up the skill ante a bit alistar has half the sustain and makes for a very aggressive lane if you want that option.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2012

the only one really lacking is ap mids in which I recommend
malz, he is easy to win lane with and after rank 3 e you can push a wave hard and go roam for a gank
galio, strong counter to many ap mids since he can push waves very quickly and has a lot of mr with correct build and his W sustains him against most pokes
morg, same as above pushes lane quick and freedom to roam, shield stops cc, good damage if you combo right, ulti makes team fights easy as people scatter or get stunned

azurefishie

05-26-2012

Thanks, It's mainly jungle and top I'm looking for. I might buy Udyr soon and I have already been working on mundo solo top. I'll try to get my friend to try out some of the other champs but they are kinda set in their ways.

Bill Gunn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2012

Nautilus is an easy jungle to learn with.