From NEGATIVE 18 to 1524 - Elo Super Guide

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

marshymell0

02-07-2012

soo I main support and low elo, that means im screwed? =(

Ragnar Draconus

02-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
Honestly, the best part is describing that Elo people on this forum consider trash is actually fantastic
This.

AkumaRook

02-07-2012

Have low ELO

Duo que with high elo person

??????????????

PROFIT!

JingleMahPringle

02-07-2012

Do you mind helping me? Im a good player, i just want to improve my game

MrChunkz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshymell0 View Post
soo I main support and low elo, that means im screwed? =(
Not necessarily. I have friends that main support and carry their carry. But they have success less often than others with damage positions.

MrChunkz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleMahPringle View Post
Do you mind helping me? Im a good player, i just want to improve my game
Anything specific? That's a really broad topic.

Qutse

02-07-2012

"1400 is INSANELY good from a statistical standpoint. It's the top 10% of ranked players . Even 1250 is top 25%"

Okay... assuming that is true did not expect that. If that is the spread of their bell curve then I think I know what the trouble with their ELO system is, and the problem is much simpler then I thought. You shouldn't be able to win a few times and move from 50th percentile to 25th percentile. There are various ways you might address that, but that instability of an experienced player near average rating moving dozens of percentiles with a win is a fundamental problem to this design, and also, one that is going to interact poorly with 4 other players on your team.

With the size of steps and the randomness of team matching you might as well have just told the middle 50% of your players you don't actually rank them, and you bundle them all together.

BlueMaroon

02-07-2012

What a pro

MrChunkz

Recruiter

02-09-2012

^^^^

EdgarAllanProse

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qutse View Post
"1400 is INSANELY good from a statistical standpoint. It's the top 10% of ranked players . Even 1250 is top 25%"

Okay... assuming that is true did not expect that. If that is the spread of their bell curve then I think I know what the trouble with their ELO system is, and the problem is much simpler then I thought. You shouldn't be able to win a few times and move from 50th percentile to 25th percentile. There are various ways you might address that, but that instability of an experienced player near average rating moving dozens of percentiles with a win is a fundamental problem to this design, and also, one that is going to interact poorly with 4 other players on your team.

With the size of steps and the randomness of team matching you might as well have just told the middle 50% of your players you don't actually rank them, and you bundle them all together.
This isn't a problem with the rating system. It means that the level of skill improvement between the 25th and the 10th percentile is negligible.