From NEGATIVE 18 to 1524 - Elo Super Guide

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quintus Felix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2011

Well written, concise, and pleasant to read. Also, congratulations.

Cenerae

11-18-2011

Out of curiosity, how proficient at various roles would you say you ought to be before doing ranked seriously?

To use myself as an example, I main support - and I know that's an awkward method to try and gain rating with since it's hit and miss enough in normals. But I consider myself to be weak at ranged AD, mediocre at AP champs (those I can play well, at least), mediocre at jungling, and okay at bruisers.

I got 1400 last season, but didn't play that many games. I havn't touched ranked this season because I just don't know how proficient I should be at all the roles before going in to ranked seriously. Should I at least aim to become passable at everything, or what?

ImpGuard

11-18-2011

What this says is: play lots of games to get to the right placement. If you're unfortunate enough to drop early on, you can make it up by playing lots of games.

What people don't like is being forced to play 100 games just to get to the point where they're having fun and challenging games every game. They want to be able to hit level 30, play maybe 10 placement matches, and be at a reasonable place where they can play once a day or even once a week and have nice fun, but challenging games.

Instead what you have is being sucked into a pit or carried really high in the first 10 games, in which the next 50+ games are filled with stupid games where the enemy team trolls or your team trolls/stomps on either side. Then eventually you may find that sweet spot where your skill matches your opponents ~50% of the time.

ELO Hell technically doesn't exist because given enough time anybody can pull themself to wherever they belong. But for casual players that want to enjoy having a ranked number, they find themself in an "ELO pit" that takes forever to climb out since they don't play ranked 24/7.

Anyways, that's what I believe. I don't care either way because there are plenty of arguments I can think of that counters the above. Good read though OP, thumbs up.

MrChunkz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsharp View Post
Very impressed. Is there a way to extrapolate your performances of every game along with the result into a chart?
You could look at each individual game. But it's not so much an analysis of myself as it is that you can climb rating if you're a good player. What matters isn't how well I did or how dominant I was but that the win was earned and that EVERY game that I played in could've been a win had I played differently.

splaaaatt

11-18-2011

A rather good read with some useful information.

m0biusloop

11-18-2011

You're still a scrub

<3

0shi

11-18-2011

What was your ELO at the end of S1?
Seems like an important piece of information, but I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Z320fate

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
Seems like an important piece of information, but I can't seem to see it anywhere.
Two easy places to look:
a: His profile in game
b: the header of his blog
(it was 1722)

SierraAlpha

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
He was 1722 in Season 1.

Great post man. Proud to call you a friend.

Rammblin

11-18-2011

This is ****ing stupid. I got stuck at 900 elo and had to play THREE HUNDRED GAMES to get back up to 1400. I dont care that I eventually got there, that it took me that long was ****ing stupid.