Soraka on Dominion is this a turning point?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stimuz

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I am still confused about the part where Soroka was deemed to be "bad".

This likely came from those playing her up top at game start. In that case yeah I can see it. She starts off very squishy and if they want to spam starfall, they have to get in moderately close. The baddies then charge her and pound her.
I'd think played intelligently though her long range silence would be a nice poke, and her heal/armor boost would help whoever got first targeted at windmill fight.

But clearly she is going to be better if she starts bottom...at least till she can bulk up a bit.
A lot of people think support is bad because they still think you're supposed to build gold per 10 and items like shuryelia's. Support in dom is AP/AD/Tank and nothing else. Shield based support all have great AP scaling (.7/.9/.75 i think for janna, similar for karma and sona) the only support that has a subpar AP ratio vs ability cooldown is Taric.

Elealar

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
A lot of people think support is bad because they still think you're supposed to build gold per 10 and items like shuryelia's. Support in dom is AP/AD/Tank and nothing else. Shield based support all have great AP scaling (.7/.9/.75 i think for janna, similar for karma and sona) the only support that has a subpar AP ratio vs ability cooldown is Taric.
Sona has terrible AP scaling which is why I like building her AD instead. She has .7/.25 with only her ult having .8 and that being on too high a cooldown to rely on. Janna is actually .75/.8/.9 with her ult being effective .7; her scaling is incredibly good for AP. Karma isn't all that good (.6/.7/.8) but since some of her abilities have double uses on Mantra charges, most importantly Soul Shield which is much like improved Sion's shield really, she works out better than her numbers would suggest.

Stimuz

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elealar View Post
Sona has terrible AP scaling which is why I like building her AD instead. She has .7/.25 with only her ult having .8 and that being on too high a cooldown to rely on. Janna is actually .75/.8/.9 with her ult being effective .7; her scaling is incredibly good for AP. Karma isn't all that good (.6/.7/.8) but since some of her abilities have double uses on Mantra charges, most importantly Soul Shield which is much like improved Sion's shield really, she works out better than her numbers would suggest.
Karma's AP is amazing because like you said she can mantra her shield giving her 3 nukes with under 10s cd all with over .5 ap scaling, although her W is hard to use well. Jannas scaling is indeed good but her base damage is low unless you get a fully charged Q which rarely happens, kinda balances out early game and starts hurting at 500+ AP. Sona's AP scaling is good, how is .7 bad on a 5s~ cd ability? .25 for a heal isn't bad considering its a fourth of the cd of a typical heal and those other heals are usually 0.7-0.8 on a 15-20s cd.

Hikaru Genji

11-18-2011

Anyone who thinks Soraka is bad at Dominion needs to stop playing Dominion and get back to playing Hello Kitty Online.

Soraka is one of the strongest champs in Dom right now, especially with the strong hybrid meta. She dominates all but a handful of champs bot and out-harasses Akali, Shaco and Jax with her 2.5 second 725 range silence every 6 seconds. Her only weakness is a lack of hard CC for escaping AD gankers.

Elealar

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimuz View Post
Sona's AP scaling is good, how is .7 bad on a 5s~ cd ability? .25 for a heal isn't bad considering its a fourth of the cd of a typical heal and those other heals are usually 0.7-0.8 on a 15-20s cd.
'cause it's her only ability with a relevant AP scaling. Usually AP champions have 3 non-Ult abilities that scale with AP, or extremely good scaling in the 2 (see Anivia, pre-nerf Sion with two 1.0s) while she only has one 0.7 on a moderate cooldown (base CD 6 secs). Compare to Janna or Karma who both have plain more scaling abilities on similar CDs. Or any actual burst mage (let alone mages with low cooldowns like for instance Annie, Kennen, Cassiopeia, Vlad or Karthus). She just falls far, far behind by comparison in scaling.

The Heal just...it really doesn't add up to all that much. I mean yeah, it's similar as all the other healings over their cooldowns (Nidalee's has better scaling, of course) but with the Dominion nerf and the fact that it really lacks the burst heal potential (need to actually fight for the 18 secs to truly make it better than e.g. Astral Blessing) which is the best type of healing for a map with relatively fast fights like Dominion just makes it meh. The Armor & MR it provides are great but the heal is kind of an afterthought.

Most of Sona's damage comes from flat numbers; Q base damage, Power Chord damage, easy Sheen procs, Q flat bonuses. Those are the primary source of her quite respectable damage output. As such, while building AP doesn't increase it as dramatically as on real Mages, it does remain quite impressive since the base values are so good and she does use Lichbane easily (so, incidentally, does Janna BTW).

Still, I consider AP significantly worse than AD simply because AP takes much more dedication; you need Hat and Lichbane before you get significant damage bonuses while AD simply builds Trinity and is then free to build Tanky. AD meshes with her kit better ('cause her inherent AP scalings aren't really on par with the champions AP items are designed for) and has more freedom for building. I have no doubt that AP Sona can win a ton too; she's just that good. I just feel AD Sona is better.

issfire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

11-18-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

even in development, I've found support characters like soraka, karma and even sona to be fun and effective on dominion, in the right comp of course.

Warrikon

11-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by issfire View Post
even in development, I've found support characters like soraka, karma and even sona to be fun and effective on dominion, in the right comp of course.
don't forget leona..

she is awesome in dominion

issfire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

11-18-2011
2 of 2 Riot Posts

yeap. I love playing leona, jarvan and galio on dominion but they're more tank than support

Argodis

11-18-2011

Soraka is top tier in Dominion imo.

She may even be a bit OP.

Frenche6

11-18-2011

If I ever have to go bot in dominion..I run soraka.