Full AP runes to start?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Connector Pens

11-17-2011

Alright so I recently played against a Fizz, and I looked at his AP, cant remember what level he was at but I think it was 3 or 4, anyway he had an AP of about 72 with only a dorans ring. I wasn't laning against him, he was in mid against another Fizz, and he totally dominated him.

So I had a look at the new masteries, and worked out that if you take all flat AP runes, along with all the offensive masteries relating to AP and an amplifying tome, you can start with an AP of 67.2 (rounded down of course).

Now this seems like it would be a pretty big advantage, and that goes up a slight amount with each level. Just for reference, at level 1 Veigars Baleful Strike hits for 80 and has .6 scaling, meaning that he gets an extra 40 damage if he takes the runes, masteries and tome, which is a 50% increase in power.

So my question to you is is this an effective strategy? Could casters take flat AP runes and play very offensively for the first few levels hoping to get a very early kill? Also, would it be better to take armor pen marks instead and full AP the rest? I'm pretty bad at maths, so if I've missed anything or miscalculated let me know.

Shaella

11-17-2011

leaves you really really weak to early ganks

Jeremizle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2011

it's a form of counter-playing. if you know your enemy will be susceptible to your damage then people do it to try to get a reliable fb. it's also similar to playing against a garen and picking all armor runes - it's situational and should be decided when you see who you're going to be laning against.

Fifthdawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2011

You're still better off having magic pen over AP on reds and quints. Yellow and blue gives so lil AP you get more stats per rune slot with other runes.

Connector Pens

11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthdawn View Post
You're still better off having magic pen over AP on reds and quints. Yellow and blue gives so lil AP you get more stats per rune slot with other runes.
So, don't use any AP runes is what you're saying?

Turtlerocket

11-17-2011

Quote:
If you get Lich Bane (you're Fizz, you will) then flat AP is better.

CloudCarry

11-17-2011

actually flat ap quints are worth it and mag pen reds are the standard. your choice from here if you want to run flat ap..i dont tho.

Politburo

11-17-2011

don't forget to calculate in magic resist. at base 30 magic resist, 1/4 of your damage is blocked. make sure to include this in your calculations. flat ap is for early game, magic pen is for mid/late afaik. your choice will also depend on the champion too

HeartlessXiao

11-17-2011

Quote:
Pretty much this.

Even with Sion's shield (1-1 scaling), you would do more damage with 9 mpen as opposed to 5 AP.

After reduction (30 mr), you'll do 132 magic damage with level 1 shield and 72 AP. With mpen reds, you'll have 67 AP, but you'll do 138 magic damage with level 1 shield.

CloudCarry

11-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlerocket View Post
If you get Lich Bane (you're Fizz, you will) then flat AP is better.
so what you're saying: based off of the fact that you will eventually get a lichbane that the flat ap would be better than ap per level..

you make no sense at all.
early sheen will do good damage until the point you get about 200-300 ap and then at some point you would get lichbane..

however: deathcap should probably be finished first (or giants belt or catalyst.. w/e) and lichbane should not be finished until you either have deathcap finished or have at least 150 ap at the very minimum: