Vi - I need help on her mastery and tips for her

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xX12of12Xx

07-22-2014

So I just bought Vi and I heard that the right mastery for her can help a lot? And also, what should I do to make my gameplay with Vi seem "op" or not noobish? What lane should she be in? Other tips are greatly appreciated, thanks everyone for your help, or your time to help me

Radryspyguy

07-22-2014

Lane = Jungle. You can top but she has the most potential in the jungle. You can build her straight tank or off-tank.
Masteries can be 21/9/0 for dmg or 9/21/0 for Defence or if you want utility you can go 21/0/9 or 0/21/9.*

*I do not play Vi so this may not be accurate. If someone else posts I would listen to them more than myself.

ItsStout

07-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radryspyguy View Post
Lane = Jungle. You can top but she has the most potential in the jungle. You can build her straight tank or off-tank.
Masteries can be 21/9/0 for dmg or 9/21/0 for Defence or if you want utility you can go 21/0/9 or 0/21/9.*

*I do not play Vi so this may not be accurate. If someone else posts I would listen to them more than myself.
Don't go full tank Vi- she needs to be able to burst as well. Now, most will tell you go SotEL into eventual BC- I build Vi differently. Go BotRK and max W and E at the same time vs Q. Get results. You can outduel a lee sin with this (although your ganks aren't as good without red... But with red...)

Arthael

07-22-2014

Masteries: 21/9/0 - standard jungle with the 3% health mastery.

Runes: 3x ASPD Marks, 6x ArPen (or AD) Marks, Armor Seals, 6x Flat -CDR Glyphs, 3x Scaling MRes Glyphs, and finally AD Quints.

Skill level up: R > Q > W > E
Get one in W at level 1, then get Q at level 2, and then W at level 3, then follow the above.

Lane: Jungle - typically start blue, unless they have a counter jungler.

Items: SotAG, Brutalizer (> Black Cleaver), Phage + Sheen (> Trinity Force), Sunfire or Randuins, Spirit Visage or Banshees, Wild-card item (if you need more damage, get Bloodthirster; if you need more wave clear, get Hydra; if you need more support, get iron locket; etc...)

Practice: landing Q, getting denting blows off asap and afap, timing your ult to do the most damage to EVERYONE not just your primary target, using your ult and then Q to knock the character back and stun them temporarily, making sure you don't get too far ahead and get yourself killed befoer your team gets there, learn to use flash > Q...

those are the basics for Vi (also learn jungle route ganks, with V and what you can use your Q to get through/past/by --- also, you can get Dragon at level 8)

ItsStout

07-22-2014

Lol, you ever played Dualist Vi? ****s great. Also, she reks Baron. Hard.

Build:

Start- Machete 4x Pots

1st Back- Spirit Stone, Boots

Core- SotEL, BotRK

Defensive: Maw, Banshee's, Omen, Sunfire, Frozen Mallet

Offensive: Triforce, Zephyr, Black Cleaver, Ghostblade

Arthael

07-22-2014

Eh duelist Vi is great and all for early game dominance, but considering your kit, you'll fall hard late game.

And BotRK for Vi Core is stupid since Trinity benefits her much much more.

With the quasi tank build I mentioned, she has 150+ resistances (+ w.e you pick for wildcard), close to 4k health (+ her shield proc) and does incredible burst every time her E is up to proc her Denting Blows (AA reset).

Because she does have that AA reset, stacking more ASPD is pointless; CDR is much better.

SotEL is w.e; you can go for that if you want more offense. I just like SotAG, very OP right now and scales hard with your health items and benefits your passive that scales with more health.

ItsStout

07-23-2014

I'd say duelist Vi scales harder- your early game ganks aren't as good, but you shred the frontline even harder. Yes, my build has less burst (actually more AD, but whatever) and relies on someone else to go in with you- someone like Twisted Fate (one of my friends plays him). My build offers more survivability imo, because even though you lose the health on Maw you still have Mallet, and the two combined give you a ****ton of AD. I actually buy TF only if I really need to erase one person immediately.

Also, the AS from BotRK lets you prok denting blows more, further increasing your AS and reducing thier armor by 20%, useful against a tank (increasing the DMG your carry deals to them). With this build, you get anywhere from 250 to 500 damage. I play Vi more as a front-liner than an initiator (you seem to do that, and it works, just not my play style) then dive the carries as soon as thier tanks are dead.

vortical42

07-23-2014

I've been playing jungle Vi as my main this season. Here are a few tips to get you going.

1. Be flexible with your build. Vi can function as a tanky bruiser or as a high damage fighter depending on your items. The keys is knowing which the current game calls for.

2. Your jungle item should pretty much always be SotEL. SotAG is not nearly as useful on Vi now that the tenacity has been removed. Unless your team is ultra hyper squishy and you need to go full tank for some reason, stick with SoLE.

3. The skill order for Vi is W, E, Q, Max Q, Max W, Max E. The only variation I would make to that is if you are expecting a lv1 invade (or are doing the invading yourself) you might want to take a point in E or Q first.

4. Keep an eye on the health of enemy laners. If you know the enemy jungle is elsewhere, you can easily pick off a low health enemy hiding behind their turret and be gone before anyone knows what happened. Nothing demoralizes an enemy more than getting splatted just when they thought it was safe

FYI Here are my preferred builds-
Assassin:
SotLE
Merc Treads
Trinity Force
BotRK
Last Whisper
Randuins or Banshees depending on the enemy team

Fighter:
SotLE
Merc Treads
Trinity Force
Frozen Heart
Black Cleaver
Sunfire Cape or BV, again depends on the enemy team

Bruiser:
SotLE
Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi
IceBorn Gauntlet
Locket of the Iron Solari
Randuins
Black Cleaver or Defensive item

Arthael

07-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsStout View Post
I'd say duelist Vi scales harder- your early game ganks aren't as good, but you shred the frontline even harder. Yes, my build has less burst (actually more AD, but whatever) and relies on someone else to go in with you- someone like Twisted Fate (one of my friends plays him). My build offers more survivability imo, because even though you lose the health on Maw you still have Mallet, and the two combined give you a ****ton of AD. I actually buy TF only if I really need to erase one person immediately.

Also, the AS from BotRK lets you prok denting blows more, further increasing your AS and reducing thier armor by 20%, useful against a tank (increasing the DMG your carry deals to them). With this build, you get anywhere from 250 to 500 damage. I play Vi more as a front-liner than an initiator (you seem to do that, and it works, just not my play style) then dive the carries as soon as thier tanks are dead.
Well I meant scaling wrt defensive as you can be, while doing enough burst to compensate - but if you meant scaling via damage then yes AD Vi is probably better.
And ya, haha, if you have communication with your team, you can definitely build whatever complements the team - but shrugs YOLO queue and its misery.

I am trying to move away from Mallet (used to use it) because it is getting removed this off-season.

The issue with ASPD is you have an AA reset every 4s; adding more ASPD, sure you get more denting blows off, but you are nuking your AD there. With AA reset, ASPD becomes useless. Think AD Garen, you never want to build ASPD on him because of his Q AA reset. You want to stack full crit and AD.
But ya if they primarily have tanks, you would go with that do DPS.

It depends. Personally that is my staple build, it works in all settings and I can just screw everyone and go straight for their carry and solo-push them away or force their tanks to come peel me rather than engage my carries.

Arthael

07-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortical42 View Post
2. Your jungle item should pretty much always be SotEL. SotAG is not nearly as useful on Vi now that the tenacity has been removed. Unless your team is ultra hyper squishy and you need to go full tank for some reason, stick with SoLE.
Um... you get about 400 health endgame for a measly investment of 1600g, not to mention CDR, ward, armor. It complements merc threads so well because you get some armor and mres early game + tenacity.
It is amazing on Vi, if you can build health items on her (even if you go full AD, getting health items like mallet, trinity etc...) because it scales her passive so much.

SotEL is PURELY early game; as soon as it crosses like 20 min mark, the passive means nothing, and you are better off getting brutalizer for the a-pen and similar damage (not to mention, again, the CDR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortical42 View Post
3. The skill order for Vi is W, E, Q, Max Q, Max W, Max E. The only variation I would make to that is if you are expecting a lv1 invade (or are doing the invading yourself) you might want to take a point in E or Q first.
1. W or Q first is a preference, but Q first gives you insane early game initiation burst.
Q (max) > AA > E > AA hits like a truck in a span of 2s... and since W hits harder the more health they have, early game that really means nothing in comparison to a max Q.

2. Never level E until last, it's damage does not work until you actually have decent AD - which, irrespective of how you build her, happens after you get your defensive items (if you build full AD, I guess you can get away with E). E should be a strictly AA reset to aid more denting blows.