[Guide] Veigar, The Tiny Master of HADOKEN!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stormworm

01-09-2010

Ive allways went with sapphire first and rushing to angels but i guess id have an easier time if i would take meki pendant instead.

Amaranda

01-09-2010

I'm having trouble keeping Veigar relevant late game. Biggest issue is that he's so squishy any melee can come up and tear him up. All I can do is cast everything I have which never seems like enough to take them down. The range on his spells and the deathfire grasp bring him dangerously close to those late game carries and DPS tanks. Any advice for the mid-game/ late-game dilemma?

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2010

Thanks for the guide, I have learned some nice info from it.

My build however is slightly different:

sapphire crystal
tears
lucky pick
soulstealer
boots
DFG
sorc shoes
zhonyas
archangels
lichbane

Anyone want to give me their opinion on this build vs others?

Tornsoul

01-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranda View Post
I'm having trouble keeping Veigar relevant late game. Biggest issue is that he's so squishy any melee can come up and tear him up. All I can do is cast everything I have which never seems like enough to take them down. The range on his spells and the deathfire grasp bring him dangerously close to those late game carries and DPS tanks. Any advice for the mid-game/ late-game dilemma?
Rod of Ages is your friend.

Veigar is so mana intensive I use clarity, its actually good for him throughout the game.

The first thing you want to get is sapphire crystal and 1 heal pot and 1 mana pot. That should last you until lvl 5-6 which around that time you should have collected enough money to bluepill and buy catalyst which will solve your mana problems for a while. Depending on who your laneing against even finish the RoA straight up, or get REGULAR boots then finish RoA then your upgrade boots after.

RoA does a couple things for you, first you need AP so it gives you that, but it also increases your mana pool AND gives you HP which you will need badly late game. It also makes it hard for you to get ganked because with that much HP early you can get back to a tower most of the time. If you get either first blood or at least 2 kills you should be able to get a completed RoA by 13-16 minutes, which in an average game will be maxed by the time you finish. After that I usually start making arch angels or get a Soulstealer if I am getting a lot of kills then make angels.

After that its pretty much dependent on how the game is going, get a banshee veil if you need it, get more AP if you need it etc. But in my experience its really vital to get RoA on veigar because he needs all of those stats badly. Banshee is nice but it doesnt give you any offensive power, so no point in going for it sooner.

If you really need too, after you finish the archangels and it looks like its going to be one of those 45+ min games. Ill make a second RoA which will put you at around 3000 hp and that will put the archangels at around 120+ ap.

Then get a frozen heart because you should badly need the CDR. If your problem is your damage output, then got RoA, Deathfire, Frozen heart, but you dont have any mana regen.

One final thing, yea a late carry like Yi can wreck you, I tend to NEVER get sorc boots, because most carrys get a 2 speed boot, if you have the 3 speed you can actually run away from them. It gives your spells time to cooldown so you can cast them again. In team fights if you have HP stacked like that "3k is a bit" it makes it a lot harder for their carry to jump on you as it lets your team wreck him and he might not kill you.

Empyron

01-11-2010

Well I've played Veigar pretty often lately. I would say since trying him again I'm around 9-1 with this build with the 1 being a game where 2 people afk'd the whole game. He's pretty unstoppably disgusting.

Note: with this build you won't do a lot early/mid game unless you have a good lane mate, but end game you're pretty unstoppable unless everyone focuses you down.

Items to start:

Doran's ring and 1 health pot to start.

This will give you health, mana regen and ap power which boosts his horribly low starting AP so you can last hit with Q better. The health pot lets you stay in lane after early harasses.

Soon as you can get Tears of the Goddess. This builds into archangel's staff which you want later, plus it gives you more mana which you'll need for your ultimate and spammage later.

Next you'll probably want boots as Veigar is slow and gets ganked easily unless you're mobile. Sorc boots are good.

Soon as you can upgrade your TotG into Archangel's staff do it.

Next glacial shroud (will upgrade to frozen heart later) - CD reduction is very important on Veigar and lets you spam your abilities better.

Next, Abyssal Scepter. AP power and anti-magic resist. Can't knock it.

Upgrade Glacial Shroud to Frozen Heart.

By now, people should be hating you as you're pwning face. The game usually is close to ending for me at this point, but if it's going longer, Zhonya's ring will make you pretty much unstoppable. +100 AP and 25% bonus AP which should already be ridiculously high. I've gotten up to 650 total AP with just these items. If game is still going, (I've never gotten that far as we win before this...) might take Deathfire Grasp (for the unique ability) or Lich Bane.

This gives mad AP, CD reduction, Armor, Health. All he really needs to laugh in the face of anyone who doesn't bother to focus you down.

Kersei

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Meki pendant is a ton of mana. It helps you farm ap (and gold) easier considering it gives you more mana than sapphire does after ~2 minutes. You are in the lane for at LEAST 5-6 minutes usually, so it gives you 2-3x the mana. The point isn't to get an earlier codex/dfg, it's to use whichever item is best for early game while also being used later in the build. A meki pendant makes a smoother early game than sapphire does, mostly because it is regen, not flat mana, so you can stay in the lane getting gold/ap/xp longer if you need to.
Makes sense, another question then:

In this build:

Quote:
-----[Tried and True]

Ideal Game Length: 40-50 Mins

This build was my favorite by far. The last month or so of patches have changed a bunch of items and strategies, but this definitely still works. The tear early allows extreme harass, tons of AP farming, and generally makes the game go smoother. The rod of ages adds everything you can benefit from, enough hp to survive all game with, and both it and the Zhonya's synergize with making the archangel's later.

Starting items: Sapphire Crystal (400), Health Potion (35), Mana Potion (40)

Crystal -> Tear of the Goddess (580)
Boots of Speed (350)
Catalyst the Protector (1325) **Buy the Ruby Crystal as soon as you can afford it after shoes**
Catalyst -> Rod of Ages (1730)
Boots -> Sorcerer's shoes (750)
Zhonya's Ring (3735)
Tear -> Archangel's Staff (1930)

Assuming 2 Elixirs of Brilliance throughout game:
Total Cost = 11,475This will outlast the length of most games, if the game is still going definitely go Lich Bane next!
Wouldn't it make more sense to modernize this build as well, by putting in a void staff around the time of the sorc shoes?

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empyron View Post
Well I've played Veigar pretty often lately. I would say since trying him again I'm around 9-1 with this build with the 1 being a game where 2 people afk'd the whole game. He's pretty unstoppably disgusting.

This gives mad AP, CD reduction, Armor, Health. All he really needs to laugh in the face of anyone who doesn't bother to focus you down.
This build is really meh. You sacrifice a lot of stats that benefit you greatly in order to get stats that don't really help you much. Armor is nice I suppose, cd reduction is easy to get. Also, early archangels do not benefit much, and postponing catalyst or tear because of doran's ring is often sub-optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersei View Post
Makes sense, another question then:

In this build:

Wouldn't it make more sense to modernize this build as well, by putting in a void staff around the time of the sorc shoes?
Void staff is a nice luxury to put in where needed (and when needed). However that build already runs a long course and delaying the synergy of it I don't know if I'd do. Definitely do it though if you're up against heavy magic resist.

Kersei

01-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
This build is really meh. You sacrifice a lot of stats that benefit you greatly in order to get stats that don't really help you much. Armor is nice I suppose, cd reduction is easy to get. Also, early archangels do not benefit much, and postponing catalyst or tear because of doran's ring is often sub-optimal.

Void staff is a nice luxury to put in where needed (and when needed). However that build already runs a long course and delaying the synergy of it I don't know if I'd do. Definitely do it though if you're up against heavy magic resist.
How about if we skip the Zhonya's, the void staff has a decent amount of mana too, and you get the archangel's earlier that way.

Empyron

01-11-2010

[QUOTE=Roku;501165]This build is really meh. You sacrifice a lot of stats that benefit you greatly in order to get stats that don't really help you much. Armor is nice I suppose, cd reduction is easy to get. Also, early archangels do not benefit much, and postponing catalyst or tear because of doran's ring is often sub-optimal.

I fail to see how starting with a Doran's ring is meh. It's extra HP for a squishy caster early, which gives you staying power. It's 10 early AP which isn't much admittedly, but what can you do. It also gives you early mana regen. Always end up selling ring later. I don't feel the need for Catalyst ever, not with Tear and Frozen Heart.

Rokudan

The Council

01-11-2010

Void staff may work better for intensive purposes. That's why mixing and matching builds depending on situations works well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empyron View Post
I fail to see how starting with a Doran's ring is meh. It's extra HP for a squishy caster early, which gives you staying power. It's 10 early AP which isn't much admittedly, but what can you do. It also gives you early mana regen. Always end up selling ring later. I don't feel the need for Catalyst ever, not with Tear and Frozen Heart.
Rod of Ages is better for hp and everything else that comes bundled. Doran's ring is just a waste of money imo. They're good on some champs, but I see them as delaying more important items on Veigar. He doesn't really need the petty hp early because of his range, and you'll get much better mana regen and ap through getting other items earlier.