[Guide] Veigar, The Tiny Master of HADOKEN!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stormworm

01-02-2010

Its just so funny to watch master yi popping highlander and charging towards you, hoping for a quick and easy kill. And then you just nuke him, and proceed to farm more money.

Kergian

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormworm View Post
Its just so funny to watch master yi popping highlander and charging towards you, hoping for a quick and easy kill. And then you just nuke him, and proceed to farm more money.
I know what you mean, they are like "SPARTAAA!1!" you are like "meh...hadoken..." BOOM dead.

Yesterday I got my 8th win against enemie veigars in a row Currently I am stomping veigar-pubbies ( on my Level 18 ) and I am wondering why they seriously dont use Rokus Item Builds o.o The only good thing about it is, that nobody got a archangel staff (doh...) The european Veigars are horrible ;(

I am asking my self something about magic resistance. If my enemy has 30 magic resistance, and I cast improved exhaust on them, they have 5 magic resistance. Also I have like 10 magic penetration on my red runes. The 10 magic penetration can not be seen, but do I get -5 magic resistance on them, or do passive magic penetration runes just go to 0 magic resistance? O.o

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kergian View Post
I know what you mean, they are like "SPARTAAA!1!" you are like "meh...hadoken..." BOOM dead.

Yesterday I got my 8th win against enemie veigars in a row Currently I am stomping veigar-pubbies ( on my Level 18 ) and I am wondering why they seriously dont use Rokus Item Builds o.o The only good thing about it is, that nobody got a archangel staff (doh...) The european Veigars are horrible ;(

I am asking my self something about magic resistance. If my enemy has 30 magic resistance, and I cast improved exhaust on them, they have 5 magic resistance. Also I have like 10 magic penetration on my red runes. The 10 magic penetration can not be seen, but do I get -5 magic resistance on them, or do passive magic penetration runes just go to 0 magic resistance? O.o
Runes are penetration, they get added after everything else. Exhaust is reduction, it gets added before everything. So exhaust could go negative, but runes unfortunately can't (same with shoes and guise, they are added in after, making it pretty hard to get negative magic resists.)

Tornsoul

01-05-2010

I find the most important skills for Veigar are the follow...

Learning how to cast DM correctly, either in a team fight, when you are being chased etc, you have know how to lead it...its basiclly a skill shot, mastering casting DM correctly is so vital. When to cast DM in front of or behind people and somehow making them walk into it.

Knowing how much damage baleful does, how much AP you need to kills creeps once they reach a certain number of bars on HP, same for heros, you have to have a good eye for the amount of damage it does to maximize last hits this flows into knowing how much KABOOM you have so you can nuke someone out once you have whittled them down with baleful to the right amount of HP to combo them.

Last and not least using event horizon correctly, I commonly have people run from me and go around a corner and ill throw my just finished coolingdown horizon and tag them with the edge of it though a wall or a corner, its so vital to be able to make your stun people when you want it too, its kind of another skillshot mastering the range of that circle.

Being that Veigar has two skillshots, requires a certain dancing grace when you go in and out of fights... I find that it makes him quite skillful to play and you have to be mindful of a lot of things considering he has two effective skill shot abilitys.

By the way I agree with ^ on the Spartan Yi lol. Many a time I have had something similiar with Chogaths being like...OH NOM NOM SNACK COME HERE and chasing poor veigar. Only to drop a DM on their head from their projected path, BS them and just kite them around spamming BS until they are low enough to combo out. Here you are this little midget killing this huge ass feasted Chogath. Kind of makes you the slayer of giants and the master of awesome.

Judah the Lion

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornsoul View Post
snippet
Yep, well stated.

I have some concerns learning Veigar that you guys might be able to help me out with.

I've evaluated quite a few vids with good veigar players, and I'm still having issues with the mind set when floating around, in and out of battle.

I can't really judge when it's a good idea to start initiating a gank (I typically don't run around like an idiot, wanting to die from stupidity, but sometimes you find yourself a bit far from your mates), I just can't seem to harass early game, which I'm partial to with other champions and enjoy, and I notice I seem to dump all my spells on a single target when I feel a gank is amongst me.

Luring, DM+EH accuracy, minion health judgement, and clutch reaction are all pretty covered, but I just can't feel out when I should start taking stabs at the neighboring Twitch, Annie, mirror, etc. . .

If there's any other tactics you cats could share I'd be grateful, because I'm having a very inconsistent time learning Mr. V.

Thanks!

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Poet View Post
Yep, well stated.

I have some concerns learning Veigar that you guys might be able to help me out with.

I've evaluated quite a few vids with good veigar players, and I'm still having issues with the mind set when floating around, in and out of battle.

I can't really judge when it's a good idea to start initiating a gank (I typically don't run around like an idiot, wanting to die from stupidity, but sometimes you find yourself a bit far from your mates), I just can't seem to harass early game, which I'm partial to with other champions and enjoy, and I notice I seem to dump all my spells on a single target when I feel a gank is amongst me.

Luring, DM+EH accuracy, minion health judgement, and clutch reaction are all pretty covered, but I just can't feel out when I should start taking stabs at the neighboring Twitch, Annie, mirror, etc. . .

If there's any other tactics you cats could share I'd be grateful, because I'm having a very inconsistent time learning Mr. V.

Thanks!
First, I completely agree with Tornsoul, nice post indeed.

As for feeling out when to gank, first rule is you really shouldn't be worrying about it before 6-7. Secondly, you shouldn't be worrying about it unless you have over half mana. You want to make sure that you can actually profit from it. Third rule is tradeoff for your harass. Make sure you're not going to lose more hp from your harass than your opponent does and make sure you don't set yourself up to be vulnerable to a gank. These are usually the rules that I live by, if I have the mana for it and it's passed the early game I'm almost always zoning/harassing my opponent (and constantly farming in between). Just depends alot on your build, your mana pool, your mana regen, etc.

Kersei

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
TABLE OF CONTENTS
-----[Low AP vs big Damage]
Starting items: Meki Pendant (390), Health Potion (35), Mana Potion (40)

Haunting Guise + Boots of Speed (1687) **Order of completing these depends on the game**
Catalyst the Protector (1325)
Kage's Lucky Pick (765)
Catalyst -> Rod of Ages (1730) **Get blasting wand when you can, don't wait for whole 1730 **
Meki -> Fiendish Codex (855)
Codex + Pick -> Deathfire Grasp (600)
Boots -> Sorcerer's Shoes (750)
Void Staff (2320)
Why not grab a sapphire crystal first for an earlier catalyst? You don't get an earlier Codex/DFG with your progression since you end up buying both sapphire crystal and meki pendant beforehand.

So why not something like:

Sapphire Crystal
Haunting Guise + Boots of Speed
Catalyst the Protector
Kage's Lucky Pick
Catalyst -> Rod of Ages
Fiendish Codex
Codex + Pick -> Deathfire Grasp
Boots -> Sorcerer's Shoes
Void Staff
Zhonya's Ring

Rokudan

The Council

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kersei View Post
Why not grab a sapphire crystal first for an earlier catalyst? You don't get an earlier Codex/DFG with your progression since you end up buying both sapphire crystal and meki pendant beforehand.

So why not something like:

Sapphire Crystal
Haunting Guise + Boots of Speed
Catalyst the Protector
Kage's Lucky Pick
Catalyst -> Rod of Ages
Fiendish Codex
Codex + Pick -> Deathfire Grasp
Boots -> Sorcerer's Shoes
Void Staff
Zhonya's Ring
Meki pendant is a ton of mana. It helps you farm ap (and gold) easier considering it gives you more mana than sapphire does after ~2 minutes. You are in the lane for at LEAST 5-6 minutes usually, so it gives you 2-3x the mana. The point isn't to get an earlier codex/dfg, it's to use whichever item is best for early game while also being used later in the build. A meki pendant makes a smoother early game than sapphire does, mostly because it is regen, not flat mana, so you can stay in the lane getting gold/ap/xp longer if you need to.

Judah the Lion

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Meki pendant is a ton of mana. It helps you farm ap (and gold) easier considering it gives you more mana than sapphire does after ~2 minutes. You are in the lane for at LEAST 5-6 minutes usually, so it gives you 2-3x the mana. The point isn't to get an earlier codex/dfg, it's to use whichever item is best for early game while also being used later in the build. A meki pendant makes a smoother early game than sapphire does, mostly because it is regen, not flat mana, so you can stay in the lane getting gold/ap/xp longer if you need to.
Would you say going DF grasp route is overall a better choice most games than tear/Angels? I'm beginning to think it's the only way to be viable early game against tough opponents. having a good bit of mana regen on your shoulders allowing lane staying power.

Rokudan

The Council

01-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Poet View Post
Would you say going DF grasp route is overall a better choice most games than tear/Angels? I'm beginning to think it's the only way to be viable early game against tough opponents. having a good bit of mana regen on your shoulders allowing lane staying power.
Yea, unfortunately. Now that games are on average much quicker, it seems the way to go is either a meki pendant at the start or rushing catalyst asap. Which of these becomes personal preference, imo.