[Guide] Veigar, The Tiny Master of HADOKEN!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Serra

12-03-2009

Veigar needs +mana not mana regen...no amount of regen will help when your nuke combo costs 600+ mana. Use tele when you are low.

I go,
Sapphire Crystal 1 health pot 1 mana pot
Between lvl 5 and 6 tele back
Ideally: buy tear, boots, 1 mana pot 1 health pot, vision ward
Try ganking, etc.
Either build kage's pick or start upgrading to merc's treads.
Once both of those are done, get fiendish cotex.
Get two blasting wands to set up for zhonyas.
Combine deathfire.
Get zhonyas or glacial shroud.
Usually over by then.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

12-04-2009

Currently I'm testing out two different builds:

Magic piercing high risk/reward

Sapphire 1 health 1 mana
Catalyst asap
boots
soulstealer
RoA / sorc shoes (which one you get first depends on how high a level you are. If lower than 12 or so, keep cata longer)
Void Staff
Zhonyas (if the game gets here)

or the new recent one I've been playing with:

Meki pendant 1 health 1 mana pot
boots / haunting guise (build mats and get boots first if you can't afford entire guise)
Catalyst
Deathfire
sorc shoes / Roa (again depends on level when you upgrade which)
zhonya / void staff (depends on magic res of opponents, already have a decent amount of pen)

Semantic Memory

Recruiter

12-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Currently I'm testing out two different builds:

Magic piercing high risk/reward

Sapphire 1 health 1 mana
Catalyst asap
boots
soulstealer
RoA / sorc shoes (which one you get first depends on how high a level you are. If lower than 12 or so, keep cata longer)
Void Staff
Zhonyas (if the game gets here)

or the new recent one I've been playing with:

boots / haunting guise (build mats and get boots first if you can't afford entire guise)
Catalyst
Deathfire
zhonya / void staff (depends on magic res of opponents, already have a decent amount of pen)
Hey Roku,

Been playing with Veigar for a while, using your guide. How do you feel about him post-patch? I'm finding that games tend to be a bit quicker, so its a bit harder to get him rolling. I find that I'm not very good early game until I get at least level 3 baleful to harrass, and that I'm easily harrassable..of course, I don't have runes or anything, so maybe that is weakening me a fair bit. Still, I'm almost tempted to start playing Annie instead since she has more of an early game. Any suggestions? I'm currently running a variety of item builds, but I tend to go with some combination of the following:

Catalyst into RoA, Sorcerer's Shoes, and occasionally the soulstealer, but not so much post nerf. Sometimes run Tear of the Goddess, but find it isn't so much needed. I do want to play aruond with Deathfire grasp/the new mask, so please let me know how that goes.

Rokudan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Invoked View Post
Hey Roku,

Been playing with Veigar for a while, using your guide. How do you feel about him post-patch? I'm finding that games tend to be a bit quicker, so its a bit harder to get him rolling. I find that I'm not very good early game until I get at least level 3 baleful to harrass, and that I'm easily harrassable..of course, I don't have runes or anything, so maybe that is weakening me a fair bit. Still, I'm almost tempted to start playing Annie instead since she has more of an early game. Any suggestions? I'm currently running a variety of item builds, but I tend to go with some combination of the following:

Catalyst into RoA, Sorcerer's Shoes, and occasionally the soulstealer, but not so much post nerf. Sometimes run Tear of the Goddess, but find it isn't so much needed. I do want to play aruond with Deathfire grasp/the new mask, so please let me know how that goes.
Actually, it has gone quite well! The build is a lot less rigid than some of the other ones, mostly because the items are pretty cheap and have a large amount of materials during buying them. Major update posted though, hopefully should have everything up to date. If anyone notices anything else that I need to change / that is inaccurate let me know.

Torinux

12-05-2009

Well some times it is futile to follow other's builds. I guess to each, it's own sometimes our "uber" build the one that get us like 15+ hero kills is useless against pro players... builds depends on how the enemy plays and build his/her char. But Your guides will help newcomers indeed

Rokudan

The Council

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinux View Post
Well some times it is futile to follow other's builds. I guess to each, it's own sometimes our "uber" build the one that get us like 15+ hero kills is useless against pro players... builds depends on how the enemy plays and build his/her char. But Your guides will help newcomers indeed
Well, that was my aim! So far the builds haven't been useless against top tier enemies (Sorry MegaZero and Lima! :S) so I'm glad that it will help others too. I personally am trying my hardest to make Veigar recognized for how strong he really is.

However, most of my queues tend to only be against a small subset of the entire playerbase (Top tier is smaller so don't get nearly as large of a range of players from game to game) so I hope that others have the same success with the builds as I do. I need people to melt face at all elo ranges!

iEssix

12-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post
Catalyst
Deathfire
I've been using almost this same exact build and it is exxxceeellleeennt.

Magiclad

12-06-2009

Roku,

Good sir, I would like to start with a great big heartfelt thank you. Seriously, I read through every guide on Veigar I could find and this was, hands-down, the best one. Especially since you keep updated edits. I'm not exactly what you would call "hot stuff" when it comes down to this, but even just taking the builds through a couple practice games, I could see the change from what I was doing even without human opponents. I won't say it changed me overnight, simply because I do need more experience, but it will definitely help me on the way there.

I'll be keeping my eye on this guide.

Evil Elf

12-07-2009

Hello

I've been using your build for some time and I have to say it can kick ***. A few games ago I managed to reach 650 AP, and with it 20~ kills, but that only happens if the game prolongs to 45-55 minutes. Which doesn't happen so often. That's the main problem. With such a huge AP Veigar can tear anything into pieces but, since most of the games I've had lasted max 35-40 minutes, I can't grow like that.

I'm having problems early game since the main thing you build through the guide is MP and HP, which makes me unable to do any damage. That wouldn't be a problem if I could just use baleful to get AP, but most of the time I lose my rhythm because everyone is playing so aggressively since the patch. Any ideas?

Respect, Evil Elf

Rokudan

The Council

12-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Elf View Post
Hello

I've been using your build for some time and I have to say it can kick ***. A few games ago I managed to reach 650 AP, and with it 20~ kills, but that only happens if the game prolongs to 45-55 minutes. Which doesn't happen so often. That's the main problem. With such a huge AP Veigar can tear anything into pieces but, since most of the games I've had lasted max 35-40 minutes, I can't grow like that.

I'm having problems early game since the main thing you build through the guide is MP and HP, which makes me unable to do any damage. That wouldn't be a problem if I could just use baleful to get AP, but most of the time I lose my rhythm because everyone is playing so aggressively since the patch. Any ideas?

Respect, Evil Elf
You could try the low ap vs big damage build I posted into the guide now. I've actually watched it work pretty well in these situations, and it has a much cheaper startup.