New Players going DotA to LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Broxxar

06-28-2010

What percentage of new players would you say are coming from DotA to LoL? In my first couple games I've found a lot of people can't answer questions like: "What's the LoL equivalent to DotA's gem of true sight?" (i learned that the answer is oracle's elixir).

I've also seen a lot of players that die before creep waves spawn, or get beat down by towers at level 1-4, so I guess a decent number of people are completely new to this Genre and haven't played DotA at all. Again I ask, what percentage would you say have come to LoL from dota?

SyeBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-28-2010

MAYBE 50%?

I don't think anyone has any numbers for this kind of thing right now.

It's a completely different game. If people wanted to play DotA, they'd buy HoN.

Helfeather

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-28-2010

As odd as it sounds, a lot of LoL players are actually NOT from DotA. The ones that ARE from DotA, are usually not in the newbie level matchmaking because they win more often and get pushed into higher levels. As you play, your summoner level will go up and you will get a hidden "ELO" rating, which acts like PSR in HoN. This will match you with other players around your skill level. This explains why if you're playing your first few dozen games, there will be a lot of hard core newbies that won't even know terms like AoE, B, MIA, aura, buffs, nuke, etc.

Another point to note is that there are not that many direct translations from DotA to HoN. There are some extremely similar items, but also some very different items. An example of something completely new is Ability Power and Summoner Spells.

JonnyThinkChamp

06-29-2010

If you asked this a year ago, it would have been 96% or something. Now I doubt it's even 30%.

SomniumProxy

06-29-2010

Keep in mind that players who have played DotA will have a huge advantage over other players who have not and thus will advance in Elo a lot faster in the beginning. So if you're just starting out, it's likely that there is a very small % of DotA players left on your level =) You should just level up and you'll meet more :P