Chogath is Top-Tier (Again): The Definitive Guide by 5HITCOMBO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SecretlyRambo

07-16-2010

Cho'gath is one of my mains. This is an interesting guide and I wish to improve my gameplay now that Ranked games are here.

I've always built Nashor's Tooth on an offensive-oriented Cho'gath; I find that the AS + AP combo well with his spikes, and the cooldown reduction helps him eat more people and so forth. Thoughts? Never thought about rushing Zhonya's but I'll try that sometime.

Lorifel

07-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HITCOMBO View Post
I tried it out, it works pretty well if you anticipate the need for a bit more MR. I'll throw it into the guide under specialty situations.
Thanks for trying it, makes me feel warmer now )) Actually I am very glad to say your guide pretty mush inspired me to main Cho again. I allways keep your giude in mind now, allthough I mostly can't follow your item build because I usually end up being the main tank for my team. Also it somehow happens that I am the aura and ward b*tch as well, because in PUG games often nobody alse cares. So no double NLR's for me, alas...
However I stack defencive items and HP regen (and a bit AP + CDR) and see people actually targeting me, because I have no GA and they are tempted to kill me and ruin my Feast stacks.
I suppose it makes me more of a tank/disruptor/support than true caster.

5HATCOMBO

07-18-2010

I just played Al3xander in ranked and the poppy in his lane fed him about 5 times, now he's gonna post a screenshot of him winning here to prove how bad my build is.

Pretty one-sided feed game, I'm still stuck under 1400 atm.

Jameus

07-22-2010

I love this guide man. I've been looking for a champion to play for the longest time that suits my play style, and Cho'gath is it by a long shot. Big sassy son'***** that gets up in your face and puts a hurt on you. Great guide, you got a +1 from me.

Edit: I changed up cleanse for flash and it's helping score those almost got away kills. I've even considered maybe going into utility for the cd reduction to keep feast going more often/ Thoughts?

Neryth

07-22-2010

I run 21 in utility for the CDR and mana regen with Flash + Ignite for early game ganking power.

**** is more useful than you'd think. Meditation really helps for early-mid game.

Jameus

07-22-2010

Well, the reason I consider utility is because this build (obviously) builds him ap with a minor focus in off tanking. Going your standard 9/0/21 build would give you more use from your summoner spells, 15% spell pen, 10 ap, cd reduction, and mana regen for the early game.

I guess what I'm getting at is: Does defense make that much of a difference that if I were to switch, would this build become ineffective or less effective to the point where it's not worth the switch? 4% less damage is always nice, but it doesn't seem that game breaking. Minor amount of armor, magic resist, and health regen, along with 2% dodge (seems laughable) with another point invested in should you actually dodge, you'll move quicker for a few seconds adds up in your overall survivability, I'm sure, but compared to what you get in utility, it does seem worth the trade.

However, that is what I take it for. I'm just a lowly low/mid elo player. That's why I'm asking you more experienced folks for.

Megashield

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-22-2010

5hit can u explain what your recomended item build would be? I looked you up and saw you go for zhonays and sunfire cape (i imagine they had u tank?) that game. And when I look at your recent normal game, it seems like you were rushing for a zhonas? But your advice is two NRLS now?

5HATCOMBO

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megashield View Post
5hit can u explain what your recomended item build would be? I looked you up and saw you go for zhonays and sunfire cape (i imagine they had u tank?) that game. And when I look at your recent normal game, it seems like you were rushing for a zhonas? But your advice is two NRLS now?
The sunfire was situational, I had opened with a chain mail to counter an early physical lane and Thornmail just wasn't necessary late, plus the +HP synergized with my FoN.

Honestly nowadays in ranked I do a lot of different things. Sometimes I open Spirit Visage if I'm playing against a jungler because I like to ward the golem and teleport so I can gank a warwick who tries to take it. If they have no jungle, which is rare, I usually open regen pendant + hp pot.

My end build is usually Zhonya's FoN GA Merc/Swiftness and situational armor/MR items. Sunfire or Thornmail if armor and Abyssal Scepter or Banshees if MR. If I want damage I usually get a Rylais or another Zhonya's.

Featherhat

08-08-2010

What do you guys think of the new item on the PTR atm?

Breathstealer 3060g (Needlessly Large Rod + Chain Vest)
+95 Ability Power
+70 Armor
UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 15%
UNIQUE Active: Reduces target champion's attack damage and ability power by 70% for 4 seconds (600 range). 90 second cooldown

Obviously the stats might change yet, but probably not much if they do at all.

It obviously synergizes very well with Cho'Gath and Amumu, and the CDR is very nice--but it's rather expensive for the AP. Not that 95 AP isn't quite good, but the cost makes me think to get it with real use in a game would require moving something else later into the build, such as Zhonyas which most games won't let you get far enough into to get.

Let's see. . . 1 NLR + 1 Zhonyas = 200 AP + short invincibility
1 NLR + 1 Breathstealer (at it's current stats) = 175 AP, 70 armor, 15% CDR, and shutting down one carry per teamfight or so for 4 seconds.

I was iffy before, but after comparing the stats, Breathstealer seems way better than a Zhonyas in this build. It costs 400g less, and you lose 25 AP (Lose another 20 AP if you have a Rylai's), but you gain some really nice CDR and armor, and the active seems like it could be REALLY useful in a teamfight if used at the right time, which further enhances Cho's ability as a disruptor.

Just a thought. Obviously this could all change if it's stats get changed.

EDIT: Andddd the item wasn't put in. Ah well, chances are it'll get thrown in on one of these patches. If it stays even remotely similar to how it is now it seems like a perfect item to round out the build and give extra utility.

HammerNao

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2010

Quote:
Hey Hammer! Do you remember playing against me in ranked when I did this?
Not much, I just remember you stomping me with Singed. :P