Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Chogath is Top-Tier (Again): The Definitive Guide by 5HITCOMBO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SZAGENT

07-13-2010

I do not trust this build from such a noob

Arturias

07-13-2010

I played cho using the RoA combo and i got destroyed by a pure ap cho with GA. i'm going to try this .

Gunflame

07-13-2010

Cho vs Cho is not a fun fight. If you happen to run vs another cho usually the highest AP wins.

If you find a cho with much higher AP and lower HP just get Veil and a teammate, your cho will do much better than their cho if you both have a teammate. Of course a Cho with 10+ stacks of mejai is scary (as every other caster champion).

5HATCOMBO

07-13-2010

Quote:
SZAGENT:
I do not trust this build from such a noob

Lol sup SZAGENT, good to see you on the forums .

5HATCOMBO

07-13-2010

Quote:
Lorifel:
I've just made a small research to find out how much the 20MR-reduction aura from Abyssal scepter is adding to a lvl 5 rupture.

Champion without MR items has 30MR. I run 9 M-penetration runes (8.5 MP total). So without AP items and MR-red aura the lvl5 rupture would hit for 305/1.22=250 hp damage
With MR-red aura it would hit for 305/1.02=299 hp damage
299-250=49 more damage roughly equivalent to having 60 more AP

At the point of having 250 AP items the difference becomes even higher.
Without aura: (305+250)/1.22=455 hp damage
With MR-red aura: (305+250)/1.02=544 hp damage
544-455=89 more damage roughly equivalent to having 108 more AP

Of course there are cons as well:
1. The difference is far smaller on MR-heavy targets like tanks
2. You have to be rather close to target to apply the aura effect

All in all I wouldn't be so set on the double NLR combo any more.

If I am getting the Negatron Cloak for survivability, I'm getting FoN. If I'm getting the Blasting Rod for damage I'm getting Zhonya's with it. Both of those are better-specialized and more effective than the Scepter, and the upside to Zhonya's is that you still get the huge flat damage with the NLRs for relatively cheap. I'll try out the Scepter and see if I can slot it into the build, but if I'm getting mpen I usually go for Void Staff. It tends to do more than a flat amount, considering you only really need lots of Mpen if your opponents stack MR.

Lorifel

Recruiter

07-14-2010

Scepter gives Cho:
- AP
- mitigation
- aura for you and your teammates to nuke for 11%-19% more damage

Looks like a pretty good 2650g item for a tanky caster, who actually goes into the fray in teamfights. And it makes your lategame Zhonya shine even brighter. =)

Haaspac

07-14-2010

Just wanted to say that this guide got me in the mood to play Cho'gath again and I'm glad I did. This guide is helping me single handedly carry even the worst teams to victory, And in premades with some friends I am completely wrecking shop. I die maybe once or twice per game, its crazy. Cho'gath is once again fun to play now that his feast actually works. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

My item build is usually regrowth pendant > basic boots > NLR > zonyas (but now ill try double NLR) > ninja/merc > GA > FoN > rylai > thornmail. Ive only had one or two games go past FoN.

Is there anything I can improve upon with my items? Most games (90%) end soon after getting my GA and sometimes we win so fast I cant even finish building GA.

HammerNao

07-14-2010

I find this guide really informative and helpful! Thanks!

Backdoor Brian

07-15-2010

Quote:
Lorifel:
Is it a bad mindset? My goal is to double the output of Cho's spells (~250 AP + MR-reducing aura + CDR% pretty much assure it), while still being able to tank. A 80% tank + 70% caster so to say.

Not gonna happen in my scenario, dude. =)
Those 20 minions on our way to enemy tower would be taken by friendly Tristana, or Annie, or Sion. Because they kill minions faster than my rupture procs.

Then you fail at playing cho and should feel bad if they can kill the minions faster than you.

5HATCOMBO

07-16-2010

Quote:
Lorifel:
Scepter gives Cho:
- AP
- mitigation
- aura for you and your teammates to nuke for 11%-19% more damage

Looks like a pretty good 2650g item for a tanky caster, who actually goes into the fray in teamfights. And it makes your lategame Zhonya shine even brighter. =)

I tried it out, it works pretty well if you anticipate the need for a bit more MR. I'll throw it into the guide under specialty situations.
Quote:
HammerNao:
I find this guide really informative and helpful! Thanks!

Hey Hammer! Do you remember playing against me in ranked when I did this?
Quote:
Haaspac:
Just wanted to say that this guide got me in the mood to play Cho'gath again and I'm glad I did. This guide is helping me single handedly carry even the worst teams to victory, And in premades with some friends I am completely wrecking shop. I die maybe once or twice per game, its crazy. Cho'gath is once again fun to play now that his feast actually works. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

My item build is usually regrowth pendant > basic boots > NLR > zonyas (but now ill try double NLR) > ninja/merc > GA > FoN > rylai > thornmail. Ive only had one or two games go past FoN.

Is there anything I can improve upon with my items? Most games (90%) end soon after getting my GA and sometimes we win so fast I cant even finish building GA.

Sounds pretty much exactly how I'm doing recently. Double NLR is definitely the way to go now that I've tested it for a while, and if there's no real danger, consider getting boots of swiftness, because closing the gap is really important, but otherwise your build sounds great!