Why is dodge bad for the game exactly?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thunder Manatee

11-25-2011

So attacks have a critical hit, why can't defenses have a critical defense. A chance that a basic attack will deal damage as though the one receiving the damage had double armor.

The reason I say double armor and not half-damage is because then a direct counter to someone who stacks this theoretical stat is armor pen. Just as armor negates critical attacks, so to will armor pen negate the concept of a critical defend.

It would, in my opinion, feel just as viscerally satisfying for the defender to achieve a critical defend as it does for an attacker with critical strike. Imagine, you are low on health, getting beat on by some nasty critter, Gangplank for example, and he goes for a killing Parrley and BOOM, his attack deals half of the damage and you escape.

It feels, to me, less like dodge because dodge negates damage completely and can save you from death when you have next to no health left. With a critical defense type stat, if you have 20 health, chances are you're still going to die, but it makes more of a difference in situations where you have, say 1/4 of your health left and just a bit of damage reduction is all you need.

But, where a crit defense stat really overcomes dodge is in how you play out a fight, especially for champs traditionally built with dodge stats. A player must be much smarter about their decisions because you can no longer rely on dodge to save you with an almost invisible sliver of health bar left. It requires you to make the fight or flight decision when you reach critically low health, because a crit defend may proc and allow you to escape, but not with so little health that the enemy player feels gypped of a kill.

If I missed a kill because of a crit defend, I would be mad sure, just as an escaping player is mad about failing to escape because of a critical attack, but it's more understandable. I fly into a colossal rage when a Jax dodges my Ruthless Predator, but at extremely low health, even a crit defend would save them.

Edit: Summary

Summary:
--Introduce Critical Defend: Chance to double defenses against a basic attack

--Counter by way of armor pen

--gives a feeling more satisfying for the defender, less frustrating for the attacker, and more visceral overall, than dodge.

Keyra

11-25-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuIIycTPoc&feature=feedu

1:28:40 on state of the league (a LoL podcast with pros) pros explain why dodge is greater than crit. put it this way if a dodge dodged a crit the dodge was worth more than the crit

Aceofsleep

12-01-2011

And they completely forgot that AP casters exist.

Slimm Shaney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

so, you bought ninja tabi, and you have some dodge runes right?
say... 20%
and there's a tryndamere with 85% crit chance, with I.E. and 2 phantom dancers(ignoring full build for both)
so, this tryndamere attacks 2 times a second,and you can hypothetically dodge 1 of every 5 attacks.
just as much as he's hoping the 15% doesn't mess him up, your hoping your 20% counters him.
great, you may have countered that nasty right clicking tryndamere. lets say the procs were good and you survived the fight. great,
now what if your fighting an AP caster, or an AD caster like talon? now, instead of having tenacity, or magic pen, or attack speed, you dodge a right clicker, all dodge does is counter an AD right clicker with monster crits, if luck is on your side of course.
now jax does get a lot of dodge and can use that dodge to resist magic, but that is one special circumstance, and unless your stacking boots, your losing out on some other good early boosts.
and your 20% dodge cannot do a thing do a leblanc that just jumped at you and killed you in two spells.
Dodge was an essential counter to the champions that had crazy constant DPS, but did nothing to the other aspects of LoL, like burst damage. and to be honest, SoD isn't worth that one kid who bought a ninja tabi instead of merc treads or any others.

Colte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2011

now there is no reason for me to pick Sword of Divine poo poo :[