Jungle Riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acolarh

11-12-2011

So I've been learning how to do jungle Riven, and I was just wanting some feedback from some other people, advice, and maybe some ways to improve.

Runes I run are armor pen marks, flat armor seals, scaling MR glyphs, and health quints. I start with Doran's Blade, and go wolves to wraiths, then usually try to gank mid. If I can't gank it, then I go do golems. Then I recall and buy a couple red potions and a red elixir. If I got a successful mid gank then I buy another Doran's Blade if I can.

From there I go to blue, then run through the jungle again, trying for ganks if I get an opportunity.

So I'll take any advice you can give me. Specifically I'm interesting in the starting item and her build after that, but anything you can give me I'd be glad to hear.

Cenerae

11-12-2011

I'd swap the health quints out for flat AD ones. They make your jungling much more efficient and your early ganks a lot more potent. Consider starting at doubles and ganking right away - though of course, that would depend on who you have in the lanes.

I would skip the red elixir and work on a wriggles (or a brutalizer if you're comfortable without the lifesteal - she isn't hugely reliant on wriggles like most junglers, though it does still speed up her clearing) instead. I just don't feel that the red elixir is that good anymore, specifically at low levels.

I don't have amazing amounts of experience with Riven as a jungler, but what I do know for sure is that you want to gank as often as you can, and invade the enemy jungler. She's a fantastic duellist at low levels and it makes her very well suited to jungle invasion.

Elodin

11-12-2011

Only item's I know of starting with Riven are:

Doran's Blade
4 (or 5) Health/Cloth Armor - I only use when I'm going to counter jungle, I don't like buying 5 just to save gold cause I don't really need 5.
Vamp Scepter

You can probably do boots +3, but I wouldn't risk it.

I don't see much wrong with the path you have. Although I'm not sure of the viability, if I manage to gank mid and actually kill them (Usually it's just a summoner spell use if anything) then I'll give my mid blue so they can continue to push the advantage, as the slight XP/gold loss is made up for in the gank.

I think you should use flat AD quints, maybe with 2-3 AD marks in place of the ArP marks, it's all up to you it's probably not that big of an advantage to switch them out.

I would recommend invasion and high aggression, but know your limits, some junglers like Trundle can really give Riven trouble mid game if he isn't stupid/way behind.

Unless you've been having amazing results with the red elixir, I say drop it.

Acolarh

11-12-2011

Alright thanks guys. The main reason I've been getting that red elixir is because I don't have gold for anything else yet. Just wanted to put that to use. But I'll try to save it instead.

I'll try those AD quints.

Thing is, I don't have much experience jungling at all, I usually do supports/AP carry. Wasn't sure I could kill the golems right off but I will give it a try.

edit: Tried AD quints and swapping in a couple of flat AD marks and starting at golems. Worked pretty well I think. Does anyone have any advice as far as a build goes? Aside from starting items, just what items should I be working towards. I've been going for Ionian Boots, Brutalizer, Wriggle's, Phage, Atma's/Warmog's, and Frozen Mallet. Suggestions?

Formerly Wu

11-12-2011

That's the build I used to use, but I've been drifting more towards Wriggle's, Merc Treads, Bloodthirster, Brutalizer as a core build. Since her shield scales off her AD, and she does SO MUCH AOE damage, building damage and lifesteal helps her survivability nearly as much as extra health and lets her make a bigger mark on the teamfight in the process.

From there I usually get Last Whisper if I'm doing well and a defensive item if I'm not, then finish Youmuu's.

The reason behind Merc treads: getting CC'd is murder for Riven, and Merc treads are her only viable source of tenacity. I find that CDR glyphs plus Brutalizer giver her plenty of CDR, especially since you should be weaving her abilities with auto-attacks anyway.

Acolarh

11-13-2011

Cool, I'll try that build. And I'll have to save up some ip for those CDR glyphs and try that too. Thanks guys.