Help me not feed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcilux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2010

I have played a couple of games and always manage to die a lot. As a general rule I try to stay behind minions as much as possible, but I still seem to die a lot, mainly to the other team's champions. I thought at first it was because I was using champions with low health, namely Fiddlestix, so I tried playing as Gargras and managed to die even more times as him. Any tips on a good strat or a good champion to use?

RHINO Mk II

06-26-2010

try a ranged champion such as ashe, use her slow on anyone chasing you. Watch the minimap and make sure all enemies are accounted for; play more carefully if one or more is missing.

Those two things should save you quite a few deaths.

FDru

06-26-2010

It's not just about staying behind minions. Minions aren't very strong, and the enemy isn't going to hesitate to try to kill you just because of a few minions. That strat is mainly useful for preventing skill shots from hitting you (like morgana's root or mundo's cleaver).

Try to keep out of your enemy's potential range completely in the early game, denying them the chance to harass if possible. Only come near minions to get last hits in, and if you're playing a melee champion vs ranged, or you're outnumbered or otherwise at a disadvantage, then don't be afraid to let them push you back to your tower where it's safe for you and dangerous for them.

Aside from that, picking the right items, having good map awareness, initiating at the right time (if you're playing a tank character, like gragas) and picking the right targets will decide how often you die or live. Those skills come with time.

Some general advice I can give is to pick cleanse as a summoner skill, it's very useful to get you out of stunlocks or to get rid of ignite early game; used right it will save you many deaths.

Consider getting a banshie's veil no matter what character you're playing, but especially if you play a tank or someone with a channeling ultimate (like nunu). Magic resist in general is very good, as most abilities deal magic damage.

Don't overextend: only chase an enemy a long way if you're sure you will get a kill and sure that you won't get jumped by their teammates along the way. Don't kamikaze unless the target has a killing spree and you don't.

Don't stay in one place for too long. Move around a lot, be unpredictable and if you clear a creep wave GTFO of there ASAP.

If you get too low on HP and you suspect a gank might be coming your way, hug a tower or go back to base and heal. Don't take unnecessary risks.

And remember that dying is part of the game, and especially for tanks you may end up with more deaths than kills even if you're good (though you should have a lot of assists).

Helfeather

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-27-2010

Above post has a lot of good tips, but some of those might be a little advanced.

It seems that you're extremely new to the game, so I recommend you play a Practice Game with bots. Bots are a lot easier to learn how to lane correctly. LoL's play style is very aggressive and there is a steep learning curve for completely new players. It's a good idea to also YouTube some game play videos to get a little perspective on how a lane usually looks like.

babies

06-27-2010

Another good idea is to take the time to read up on the skills of the free weekly(?) heroes and find out which ones have slows and stuns. I feel like the most common reason new players die excessively is because they don't know what killed them or what made them so slow/feared/stunned. This is important!

A pretty good rule of thumb is to stay just in range of dying creeps to gain experience and move back the second you see a hero moving towards you.

GeNeSiiiS

06-27-2010

If you plan on using a hero that slow's, make sure you can be faster than them because sometimes someone with slow can catch up...and its not pretty if their ult eats your hp away.

Stun is easy like Ashe's ult. Stun and run.

Low on HP? press B.

Or you could play safe and hit and run...it never fails unless you get stunned and can't run.

Arcilux

06-27-2010

Alright all, thanks for the tips. Thinking back, I did Kamikaze a lot, chasing low hp champs trying for a kill. I did play a practice game with bots and thought I had a general idea of what I was doing so switched to regular games, but maybe I should go back to bots until I find a champion I am really comfortable with and can use well. I am COMPLETELY new, I was recommended from a friend I played WoW with, and aside from that I usually play single player RPGs, so LoL was a completely alien game to me.

Mmm Whatcha Say

06-27-2010

Well, if you're playing against bots, observe what they do and don't do that. I think they're great at showing mistakes that new players normally do. Observe them and see what they're doing wrong. A good try for start could also be Cho'Gath. His passive restores him some HP and Mana when he kills a minion, which promotes last hitting and he's also pretty bulky.

AdolffCritler

06-27-2010

it may be your abilities. what you might want to try and get are more defensive ones. some defensive abilities that you might want to consider are flash and cleanse. flash is good because it can be used both ways, to run away and chase. cleanse is good if someone ambushes you and they use some CCs agaisnt you. pop cleanse then flash outa there.

ikillutwice

06-27-2010

You could try NUNU, with his consume he can regain HP, and he is pretty tanky, also he can slow the foes to run away pretty fast