How does one counter irelia solo top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lichking2010

11-11-2011

Hi guys!!

I"ve played quite a few games against irelia and i've noticed something. An irelia solo top or given any solo lane always manages to farm and carry the team late game. My concerns are:

1). How does one prevent irelia from farming in a solo top lane or solo mid lane?

2). How does one EFFECTIVELY harass Irelia and keep her at bay (she has an inbuilt lifesteal spell)?

3). What champions are or CAN be EFFECTIVE counters for Irelia?

Oh and before u say have a jungler gank top, Irelia will always escape with flash and that skill of hers that slows/stuns an opponent. Ganking is opportunistic. If it works, it works BUT what to do when it doesn't work and you know she is outfarming you. I've played GP as TANK PLANK and have outfarmed and dominated solo top lanes but was unable to do so against irelia.

So far, only by playing mid lane Morgana I have been able to contain and even shut down irelia in a solo lane BUT Morgana is almost always banned in ranked games. So, how does on counter Irelia top or irelia in a solo lane?

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2011

Irelia does NOT have lifesteal.

If Irelia player wants to have maximum sustain, the player will have to max W first.

That means either 2 levels of Q/1lvl of E or 2levels of E and one level of Q.

That means she has less burst damage than Tiger udyr, olaf(max E first), and others.
Out burst Irelia and you can win the lane.
Watch Dyrus' video of Olaf vs. Irelia solotop.

As Udyr: tag Irelia with a tiger stance proc if she gets close to minions(have your mouse ready when you see a minion at low hp because Irelia can Q to minion).

NEVER push the lane because otherwise you are letting Irelia get free farm(irelia last hitting under tower is extremely easy due to Q).

lichking2010

11-12-2011

I see. Thank you. Btw, i tried finding the Dyrus video of olaf against irelia but couldn't find it on youtube. If its possible, could you post the link? thank you again

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichking2010 View Post
I see. Thank you. Btw, i tried finding the Dyrus video of olaf against irelia but couldn't find it on youtube. If its possible, could you post the link? thank you again
http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=9155

Inconvenience

11-13-2011

Garen is a strong solo top that works against most solo top picks.

Aemon Darkstar

11-13-2011

Udyr
Olaf
Renekton
Garen
These champions with high early game damage, aggressiveness and durability can completely dominate Irelia. Irelia's a fairly passive laner, she relies on getting high farm and making it to midgame+ with good items to begin wrecking in teamfights. Send a strong aggressive laner against her and she's in deep ****.

Killzerz

11-13-2011

Basically you have to keep harassing her everytime she gets close and win the trade. If you try to out sustain her you WILL lose (unless you are WW). With any burst caster, punish her for getting close and outdamage her. If you can't, you just got outpicked, and will lose the lane. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS counterpick.

Emalore

11-13-2011

Irelia is quite weak 2v1. So if your team's solo is not, it can be beneficial to swap up the usual lane layout.

Tanden

11-13-2011

I think cho can counter irelia very well
just level rapture and spike first and leave out scream.
Although I don't play irelia, but I believe irelia rely on her skills to farm well, which make her easy target for raptrue.

NakedGranny

11-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
Irelia does NOT have lifesteal.

If Irelia player wants to have maximum sustain, the player will have to max W first.

That means either 2 levels of Q/1lvl of E or 2levels of E and one level of Q.

That means she has less burst damage than Tiger udyr, olaf(max E first), and others.
Out burst Irelia and you can win the lane.
Watch Dyrus' video of Olaf vs. Irelia solotop.

As Udyr: tag Irelia with a tiger stance proc if she gets close to minions(have your mouse ready when you see a minion at low hp because Irelia can Q to minion).

NEVER push the lane because otherwise you are letting Irelia get free farm(irelia last hitting under tower is extremely easy due to Q).
she doesn't need burst damage. she's just there to farm, and with maxed Hiten Style, you can't stop her. you're making the bad assumption that she's trying to kill her top lane opponent. she isn't. she couldn't give a **** less about killing anyone until after she's farmed.

if you don't push the lane, she's getting free farm. if you do push the lane, she's getting free farm. that's entire problem.

you can't out burst Irelia because no one's burst is powerful enough to one-shot her during laning phase -- period.

you can't gank her because her passive and Equilibrium Strike allows her effortless escape.

stop postulating about if's and maybe's when you don't actually have a clue. go play against Irelia and you'll see what this thread is about.