Defensive Masteries.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnspunReality

06-26-2010

Ok. Ive gotten to like cho. And been playing around with defensive builds for him. I find building pure defense items instead of going for lots of HP items(Warmongs/Levi) has served me well. But Im only 22 and my ratio for W/L is pretty much 1:1 now so what do I know?

Anyway. More to the point. How good/useful are those talents in the defensive tree. Specifically Defensive Mastery/Hardened Skin. Ive never played a RTS before this and I'm a WoW nerd, LoL is during offraid times. Anyway. I'm not used to such small buffs which makes me really overlook talents like this.

Does taking 2 less damage from minions matter? Blocking 2 whole physical damage matter? Maybe the wording makes me think its bad and I'm just mistaking it? Im 0/21/1 atm with Cho.

3 Resistance
3 Hardiness
4 Evasion
1 Nimbleness
1 Defensive mastery
1 Hardened Skin
4 Veteran Scars
3 Ardor
1 Tenacity

I had Maxed defensive mastery and hardened skin while no Veteran Scars before but I then figured 60 more HP > 1 less damage from minions and 1 less physical damage.

tl;dr: Are those skills special/worth taking? Am I missing out on them?

RHINO Mk II

06-26-2010

The block 1 damage masteries aren't worth it imo, unless you are a jungling amumu (who can take almost no minion damage with those masteries) Ardor is rather odd, as it really isn't a defensive mastery.

Ozy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2010

The flat damage reduction talents, whether minion specific or not, are horrible. Skip them and go into a bit of utility.

UnspunReality

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
The block 1 damage masteries aren't worth it imo, unless you are a jungling amumu (who can take almost no minion damage with those masteries) Ardor is rather odd, as it really isn't a defensive mastery.
Yeah. But I can't find a concrete defensive build to use so I figured the way I had was probably the best way to go. I normally take cleanse when I play cho aswell tho.. so maybe its an option to find a point to put there? I dunno. Played for about 2 weeks or so and started my first tank and its sorta touch and go with me now. =/

Edit: And if hardened skin/defensive mastery are useless, should I get like.. 2/3 Strength of Spirit then?

Edit again: 1/3 strength of spirit and 1/1 Will Power for more cleanses instead of 2/3 SoS.

RHINO Mk II

06-26-2010

I go 0/15/15 with most tanks, taking 2 veterans scars and improved cleanse on defense tree and the 3 movespeed bonus in utility. It also helps to relieve the mana issues felt by almost all tanks to spec some into utility.

UnspunReality

06-26-2010

I was going to go 0/21/9 for cho. Its simply that choosing those 21 is so bleh. Since the talents still don't stand out too much aside from a few.

Rickert

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnspunReality View Post
Ok. Ive gotten to like cho. And been playing around with defensive builds for him. I find building pure defense items instead of going for lots of HP items(Warmongs/Levi) has served me well. But Im only 22 and my ratio for W/L is pretty much 1:1 now so what do I know?

Anyway. More to the point. How good/useful are those talents in the defensive tree. Specifically Defensive Mastery/Hardened Skin. Ive never played a RTS before this and I'm a WoW nerd, LoL is during offraid times. Anyway. I'm not used to such small buffs which makes me really overlook talents like this.

Does taking 2 less damage from minions matter? Blocking 2 whole physical damage matter? Maybe the wording makes me think its bad and I'm just mistaking it? Im 0/21/1 atm with Cho.

3 Resistance
3 Hardiness
4 Evasion
1 Nimbleness
1 Defensive mastery
1 Hardened Skin
4 Veteran Scars
3 Ardor
1 Tenacity

I had Maxed defensive mastery and hardened skin while no Veteran Scars before but I then figured 60 more HP > 1 less damage from minions and 1 less physical damage.

tl;dr: Are those skills special/worth taking? Am I missing out on them?
It matters. Block 2 damage from minions and 2 from physical damage give you a total 4 damage reduction from minions. If you are a tank, in a wave of 5 minions, you get 20 damage reduction per second from minion attacks, which is huge for early game. If you are a tank, if helps you to endure much more for help you team mate and you approach range opponents.

Don't underestimate minion attacks early game.

Landa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
I put 1 point into the reduce dmg taken by 1. Since it gives 1 at 1. 1.5 at 2 and 2 at 3. You get 50% more for the first point than the second and third. Same thing happens with the 2% mana + hp regen one on utility.

UnspunReality

06-26-2010

AAAHHHHH. Conflicting reports! Should I get the block 1 physical damage and 1 into cleanse then?

TapiocaBall

06-26-2010

What ARE you guys talking about? Defensive mastery is one of the best talents. It reduces 2 damage from EVERY minion hit, meaning if there's 5 minions attacking you, that's -10 damage. Drawing minion aggro is an inevitable part of early game if you plan on harassing, just get it.