Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanks Masteries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeZeQ

06-26-2010

Alright, so i prefer to play tanks in games since i love leading and taking not too much of damage and regaining fast. and i was playing abit with my masteries section and i cant get any idea of a prefect masteries tree line to make.

what do i prefer?

exp,hp,regen,armor etc.

if anyone could suggest a good mastery build preferably with a pic it would be excellent!

thanks!

P.S: i like playing shen,malphite,mundo,chogath,alistar.

wildfire393

06-26-2010

Generally, in order to be as good of a tank as possible, you want to take 21 in the defensive tree:

3 Hardiness (6 Armor)
3 Resistance (6 MR)
3 Strength of Spirit (.3% of your Mana as HP regen per second, assuming you are a mana-using champ)
4 Evasion (2% Dodge)
1 Nimbleness (10% movespeed upon dodging an attack)
4 Scars of the Veteran (60 HP)
1 Tenacity (4% Damage Reduction)
2 Your choice (Cleanse/Fortify/Heal mastery, Ardor, Defense Mastery, or Harden Skin. None of these are great, of them Ardor is probably the best)

The other 9 points can go either into Offense or Utility, depending on your preferences and champion:

Offense:
3 Critical Strike Mastery (I forget the name, but 2% crit chance)
1 Your choice (Smite/Exhaust Mastery or AP/level)
4 Sorcery (3% Cooldown Reduction)
1 Archaic Knowledge (15% Magic Penetration)

Utility:
3 +% Regeneration Mastery (Forgot the name again, but 4% increased regeneration of HP/MP)
1 Your Choice (Ghost/Teleport Mastery or Mending Hands)
4 Awareness (5% increased Experience)
1 Meditation (.33 MP/second)

The first makes your magic damage (most of your damage as a tank) hit a little harder and a little more often, and adds a natural crit chance, so there's a tiny chance your attacks can crit (where otherwise there is none)
The second makes you level a little faster and have increased mana regen, which is useful for staying in the fight and using your abilities as a tank.

BeZeQ

06-26-2010

thank yo very much! i will pay attention to that alot. if anyone else wants to give a suggestion i will really appreciate that! thanks all!

Munsa

06-26-2010

I think it depends on the type of tank you are playing. Some tanks do better with the extra beef from the defensive tree, others benefit more from the cooldown 9/0/21 build. Once you've experimented with both on the tanks you like to play it comes down to matter of personal affinity and playstyle.