Guide to placing Wards!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mmm Whatcha Say

06-26-2010

As said before, printscreen, paste in paint and edit if necessary. It adds an improtant element into the guide.

peyo

06-27-2010

http://leaguecraft.com/images/icons/maps/map_1.jpg
here's SR's mini map, you can edit it :P

l3onobo

06-27-2010

Ok well I don't wanna hijack the thread but anyway here's some screenshots and some reasons for why they are there.

ward 1: 2 purposes for early-mid game. It allows you to see who is going to golem, and
gives top / mid allies a heads up on who is headed their way for a gank. I don't
use it much but it has its uses, especially if someone's a roamer.

ward 2: mid game ward allows you to see 4 different paths. It's primary purpose is to see
who is flanking mid. It's alright... but I don't find a use for it much.

ward 3: this ward is in an optimal position, showing 5-6 paths, with vision of golem, AND its
in bush. I'll have to try use this more often, but it's a mid game ward for me as it's
placement is past the river. I think I gotta start using this one more often. You'll
also notice the "other" ward in the brush to the left of ward 3. This ward can help
you see who is trying to be all sneaky-like and ambush mid. It's in the middle of
one brush, with vision of the next one. So it works. With this there you can make
pretty sure no one's going through the right side of the map without you seeing
them first.

ward 4: ahhh such an important ward, the dragon ward. It's similar to ward 1 except that as an added bonus it has vision of dragon. This ward is like the cousin of ward 1. Dragon = early game, baron = late game. Get what I'm saying? Though there are multiple times dragon will be sought after so if you don't have vision further up ahead ( more on that later ) then it's a good idea to keep one ward here.

ward 5: rarely use it... but if enemies are waiting to pounce on mid then it could prove to be invaluable. Especially if your teammates bum rush tower without considering who is mia / and the enemy coordinates well.

ward 6: I like this one. Placing it on the far left of the bush gives you sight of the lizard buff AND allows you to account for people going top. If smart dps champions are getting liz, you wanna stop them from it. Hehe, and of course you can always steal the buff and beat them down with it. That's always funny.

ward 7: This has plenty of uses. Before and after fights in mid, people hang out here a little bit. Having vision of this goes a long way in pushing mid without fear.

ahh and the last one. This one isn't mine, just saw it in another guide somewhere.
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/333/runewardcopy.png

This well-placed ward has sight of all pathways leading to your side of the map, and the pathways are marked with arrows. This would be the proper way to ward the golem as you have full vision of what's going on ( golem hp, enemy hp ) and you get a lonnng time for your enemies to notice as well. Perhaps I gotta start doing this. Buuut...

Currently my philosophy with wards is to use them as "warning bells", to see an enemy LONG before they are anywhere near their final destination. Say you are on my team, in the bottom lane and are afraid of some fed shaco. Would you rather have ward 3 or ward 4? Dragon warded and prior notice from people in mid going bot or really early notice of someone passing by golem on their way to you?

Also, proper use of wards requires proper timing. Warding their lizard early on may give you vision of someone taking it down real early ( say a nidalee with sheen who is level 6 ). But unless you can kill her, it may not be wise to go that far into enemy territory. So perhaps warding that spot is suited for later in the game. Same goes for baron.

To properly ward, make a note of people's behavior. There are some teams that form gank squads real early. It is VITAL that wards go up if they are any good. On the flip side, if people have been predictably staying in their lanes as they are mercilessly pushed by your allies, then there is no need to ward dragon.

Another idea behind warding is a term I use " choking out their map". It entails its an offensive thing. When you are pushing well and minions are giving you vision of all lanes, the enemy really has only a few places left to travel in the jungle if they want to avoid detection. If anybody wanders out... that poor soul can get team ganked. Great stuff. Alternatively... if you are being pushed to a tiny corner of summoner's rift... you might want to ward to regain control. Or to reclaim key buffs. Or to push that one tower that will give you an edge ( you would ward so that you'd have early warning and an escape path ).

anyway, its late. Sorry if anything I stated was already stated.

Grand Treason

06-27-2010

Whooo, set up the visual part of the guide. I have to thank peyo a lot for this (shameless bump btw)!

aznwillyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2010

Shock? from subspace? that no life lanc from tw?
anyways, good guide.

Grand Treason

06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretched View Post
Shock? from subspace? that no life lanc from tw?
anyways, good guide.
I don't believe I've played that game, I looked it up and apparently I was 3 years old when it was released.

Thanks for the positive comments, makes me feel the time put in it was worthwhile

NoirReverie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-27-2010

Here's a higher quality picture of the Summoner's Rift minimap, as well as the Twisted Treeline minimap. Both were extracted directly from the game's files, which, if you're curious, is in

Riot Games\League of Legends\game\Map#.zip\LEVELS\Map#\INFO\2DLevelMini Map.dds

where Map# goes from Map1 to Map 4.
Maps 1 and 2 are Summoner's Rift (summer and winter)
Map 3 is the tutorial
Map 4 is Twisted Treeline

All I did was change the .dds filetype to .jpg for easier editing.

JohnCataldo

06-27-2010

Good guide!

Some things you could add:

Reasons why you should ward more often or early. Against junglers, someone starting with Boots or stranger items can afford a Ward and can put it on their golem right away... if you don't end up in a fight immediately. (Obviously be careful, take friends with you, etc.)

Certain enemy champions demand more wards. If you are losing to Fiddlesticks ulting you from bushes, it's because you don't have enough wards! Obviously finding stealthers can be done with magical wards, but cheap sight wards in the middle of the river are often as good or better than a magical ward in your lane because enemies usually won't turn on stealth when they are waltzing down the river, and the river ward sees anyone walking down.

If your own team has Teemo, you can cheat a little on wards. None of them completely replace them, though, so don't avoid getting wards just because Teemo is on your team. (Shaco can do some very short-term warding, which is mostly useful if he's doing Lizard, Golem, or Dragon and wants an early warning, but is a lousy replacement for the longer-term wards. Nidalee can help, but smart players can avoid most traps or will intentionally spring them. It's like everyone has Oracle's against Nidalee's traps.)

Ward Baron starting from the time duo-lane champions hit level 11 until the end of the game. It's QUITE possible for a team to take out Nashor starting then, and vision in the middle of that half of the river is hardly wasted even if they don't. Depending on how laning is going, Dragon should be warded as early as solo-mid hitting level 5. This is vital if the enemy has a strong jungler like Warwick, Udyr, or Fiddle who can potentialy take out Dragon before level 6 (he might not, but the ward lasts four minutes so it covers after they hit level 6 as well). Again, that ward in the middle of the river is useful even if the enemy team ignores Dragon.

Warding Golem is usually more important than Lizard. Golem is useful to more champions, on one side it's a common path to Dragon, and a properly placed ward (as shown in other posts) covers a LOT of routes. It's also easier / less dangerous to ward (it's right by the river, unlike Lizard where you have to go past several potentially dangerous areas of brush to set up an ideal ward near Lizard).

As someone stated, wards are often just as useful to know where the enemy ISN'T. I certainly try to steal the "enemy's" Golem and Lizard sometimes, but if at all possible I'll drop a ward first so I can see if someone is coming SOONER and survive the ordeal (or potentially kill the unsuspecting enemy champion!) That ward is useful even after you steal the Golem, and it definitely saves your life some of the time.

After level 6 or after laning is over, it's often perfectly reasonable to buy a single ward every single time you go back to base. This is not a bad habit to get into. Later on you should fill a slot with 3 wards when you are richer and slots are tighter. (Especially cash poor champions might have trouble maintaining this, but those are usually tanks who are generally considered a bit less item dependent anyway...)

The OP seems to worry a bit much about 'late game' and running out of slots, but I find I only worry about that in a small percentage of games at all. Sometimes I'm building a multi-component item and can't pickup wards, but usually I'll finish the item and get some. As long as multiple team members are contributing, this temporary ward downtime isn't likely to matter.

Serious players in long games may want to designate a 'ward buyer' at the end. That player saves a slot. Buy all the Elixirs you can, drink them, and fill the slow with wards. Rinse and repeat periodically. (One item slot across five champions is a tiny price to pay for having wards if the enemy doesn't.)

Gorefriend

08-30-2010

From the depths, i necro thee!

Great information to be found here