Guide to placing Wards!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grand Treason

06-26-2010

Hey guys, so this is going to my personal opinion and a guide on where to place WARDS EFFECTIVELY.

I did not look through too many pages of the guide area, so I apologize if my guide post seems similar/copied off of another guide of the exact same thing. Notify me, and I'll /facepalm at myself.

Nope, no TL;DR note in this guide. Making the full use of it requires you to read through it and give me insights so I may correct this and make the guide more beneficial to all.

ALSO, I DECIDED TO STOP BEING LAZY AND GOT A PICTURE OF THE SR MAP (May make one for TT in the Future) AND EDITED IT! THANKS PEYO FOR GIVING TIME TO FIND THE MAP I COULD USE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so you got a decent team, versing off another decent team. Pretty balanced, amirite? However, as much as your skills in macroing and judgement calling are equal you can never seem to coordinate a gank, your fall back exit strategy constantly blocked off and the enemy continually steals the Baron which may help end in the game in your favor.

Why is this? You wonder. We are of the same level in gaming and experience, but somehow, they know the right time to escape, the time when we fight Baron, and the time when our Heimerdinger is trying to get Blue Buff! This is madness!

Perhaps. Or it may be the fact the other team is utilizing WARDS, and placing them at the right places.

Well, what are the right places? You say. I can set them up everywhere!

That way of thinking is not very effective or efficient. If you placed a ward in some obsecure place that nobody ever crossed, you've wasted 90/150 gold. This guide is meant for those that are a bit more serious about the game, those who feels are competant at the game enough to exploit map awareness and control.

I will be adding more as my experience goes up. Feel free for senior members or better gamers to provide constructive criticism on ward placing.

Here is a brief guideline on placing wards:

- It is always beneficial to place a ward in the bushes, as you can see people in there as well as a reasonable line of sight beyond that.

- Warding the jungle is always good. Placing them near spawn camps of neutral monsters will also benefit champions who needs a creep to escape (Like Katarina's Shunpo or Akali's Shadow Dance).

- It is advisable, especially when facing stealthers like Evelynn or Twitch, to set up vision wards along river entrances to the Top or Bottom or in the middle of the lanes especially in laning phases. This will deny possible ganks as long as you know when to back off.

- It can be used to prevent Juking, or actively encourage it (and because I main Katarina, I'm gonna use her and her Shunpo as an example for this one as well).

- Having team mates that wards with you is a very good idea. No one man should solo the warding task, losing potentially a lot of EXP and in particular a lot of gold. Overall, if you have team mates that are competant, great. If not, it's still a good idea to invest in those little sight buggers every now and then.

EARLY GAME

Setting up a ward into an enemy bush (particularly the top and bottom lanes) sets up the enemy target for a potential stun (like Sion or Pantheon) and a fairly easy kill (or at the very least, makes them waste a cleanse or time going back to the fountain). Even if the enemy decides not to go into the bushes, it still provides a line of sight or to prevent the Shen Shadow Dashing in to the bushes in the desperate attempt to escape. If you are doing well then setting up a ward in the bush at the river isn't half bad at all (considering it's usefulness in detecting ganks from other players in other lanes).

For Solos, set up wards along the bushes of each river, but I don't suggest you do this until 5-10 minutes in game, possibly later depending on the game. The reason why is that Wards are pretty costly and lasts for only 4 minutes, so making use of them is placing them when they are actually needed.

For Junglers/Against Junglers, it is very important to ward up spawn camps of neutral monsters, Blue Golem/Wolves/Small Golems/Wraiths being the most popular. It will save a jungler's life upon noticing enemy champions closing in on him (unless he's stupid enough to stay in a jungling camp, but that's another story), or detect enemy champions, allowing for possibilities of denying them EXP and becomes free gold.

Remember, these are my opinions. If you disagree, explain why or offer alternatives. It would be much appreciated.

MID GAME

This is the point where most people slowly converges to mid, pushing and counter pushing, taking the Dragon and potentially the Baron if doing well enough. The Ward's Importance has not diminished, so consider buying one when your inventory is free.

Start warding along the river, and in particular, set up a ward near the Dragon. If you're lucky enough, a hapless enemy team may decide to go for the Dragon, you and your team of giddying champions may jump on them, ace the team and take the Dragon for yourself. Consider to still ward on the buffs, as most non jungling champions figure they can solo one.

As mid game comes to an end, your inventory is quickly closing, which is why you want to ensure total map control before your inventory gets totally maxed, and dominate the game. Focus more on warding the enemies jungle or if your getting pushed hard set up some in your own jungle as well. If all things goes well then you can end the game due to getting fed off the enemy team and ganking more.

END GAME

Assuming you have a few inventory slots left, that amounts to 3 Wards to be used to ward spawn camps and more importantly the Baron. The Baron's buff is very powerful and can completely turn the tides. Deny your enemy this advantage. Also there will be the occasional roamer in the jungles in which a ward will detect. Especially if it's an initiator, make sure to gank and move along. A 4 v 5 is certainly a lot better than a 5 v 5.

****Attached to this guide includes a picture of SR and all the circled areas are good places to set up. Black being the main areas you want to ward first, red is for if you have some spare gold or feel your enemy team is really being mobile.****

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoo, your at the end of my first guide for LoL, and I certainly hope you learned something from this. Naturally, unless you have an exception pre made or very lucky in a solo queue you are not going to see many games who uses the wards to great effect. However, upon getting more people to know the ward's usefulness it may lead to a more exciting and fast paced games, one of the reason why I spent a hefty amount of time on this guide. Once again, I would like to thank you for taking your time for reading this.

I DON'T MIND CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM AT ALL, SO PLEASE CONTRIBUTE YOUR 2 CENTS SO I MAY UPDATE THIS GUIDE TO BE BETTER.

Credits goes to me, Kamia and Umbrus, for convincing me Wards do have their place at the end game, peyo who gave me a picture so I can add my suckish paint skills, and potentially YOU if you give me decent feedback and information.

Happy Hunting,

ShockTherapy.

peyo

06-26-2010

For paint, go in game, press print screen button on your keyboard, alt+tab, open paint, ctrl+v and edit if you like to :P

kamia

06-26-2010

Only thing I have to is disagree with you late game

Late game wards are very powerful, especially if you are down, and you need to take back map presence.
It's good idea to keep the camps warded up, and know when champions are traveling alone, especially if your team fights are either stalemates or losses.

Getting a free kill at endgame can be the deciding factor of a win or loss

Grand Treason

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamia View Post
Only thing I have to is disagree with you late game

Late game wards are very powerful, especially if you are down, and you need to take back map presence.
It's good idea to keep the camps warded up, and know when champions are traveling alone, especially if your team fights are either stalemates or losses.

Getting a free kill at endgame can be the deciding factor of a win or loss

The problem is, inventory space should be coming at an end soon or if the enemy team decides to just turtle, the advantages of warding in the end game is diminished. However, I do appreciate your feedback

FortuitusFortune

Master Recruiter

06-26-2010

Visual guides are pretty invaluable too

Grand Treason

06-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalis View Post
Visual guides are pretty invaluable too

Yes, yes I'll be working on that component sometime in the future xD

favabear

06-26-2010

Good guide. Players are really stubborn about wards and more education on the subject can only increase the quality of PuGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTherapy View Post
The problem is, inventory space should be coming at an end soon or if the enemy team decides to just turtle, the advantages of warding in the end game is diminished. However, I do appreciate your feedback
I agree that wards are very important end game. . .even more important since a single team fight can end the game. The inventory space really shouldn't be an issue. If you have one slot, that's already 3 wards. And unless you're build is entirely complete, which is pretty rare, I think that having the wards would be more useful than most component items, with the exception of the very expensive stuff.

Grand Treason

06-26-2010

B-b-b-bump.

Gromzor

06-26-2010

Outstanding post! And, yeah a pretty picture would be great!

Khaztr

06-26-2010

Great guide.

Another thing to note is that Wards not only give you information as to where enemies are, they also tell you where they aren't. So just because a Ward doesn't see much action doesn't mean it was ever a total waste.