What's the difference between AD and AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vudugambit

11-08-2011

I have worked for a while to earn an Ezreal. I fell in love with his abilities after watching a youtube video spotlighting him. After I bought him, I realized that patches took away aspects of him I really liked (like healing). Still I want to play him. But when I look at the recommended items to buy, they're mostly AD. I thought AD went towards melee fighters, not magic users. If it does affect Ezreal and magic users, what does AP do? Every thread I find on him and AP vs AD, no one really addresses the difference or what one does vs. the other. They just tell their preference. .Also the threads are very old, going back to 2010. To be honest, I haven't noticed a major difference in either, which is sad. Every other champ I have shows increased performance when they gain an excess of either AP or AD (depending on the champ) but not Ezreal. Can someone please explain?

TwistWrist

11-08-2011

Ezreal can be built as an AD Caster.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Ezreal_the_Prodigal_Explorer

Look at Mystic shot. It adds on his attack damage to Mystic shot's actual damage.

If you build AP, your Essence Flux and Arcane Shift will be stronger. Additionally, if you build a Lich Bane, it will add all your AP to Mystic shot's damage as well since Mystic shot applies onhit effects. Lich Bane's onhit effect is adding all your AP as AD for one attack (only works with some abilities).

PureRath

11-08-2011

Well heres what i got for you.

AD ezreal- Focus on Mystic shot and auto attacks , and ult of course. His passive works really well with attack damage snice it gives you a nice buff to your attack speed. Going AD does make your W almost useless its good for the buff/debuff it does. WIth attack dmg it requires more farm (last hitting creeps) to get your build and to start doing damage. So you can start to fail late game if you dont have the items you need to do the dmg.

AP ezreal- Focus more on W E and ult. The damge comes from your skilsl and makes your auto attacks not so potent. Your dmg will come in bursts then wait for cool down then burst again. Where as with ad your auto attackin consently. Farm is not as important (stil need some though) since your dmg will go up when your skills do.

Both have there ups and downs, I like AD ezreal more but to each his own.
Hope this helps. He can be built hybrid as well. Since some of his abilitys go well with AD (mystic shot and his passive) and some with AP (W and E not sure of the names) and his ult scales with both, this is the reason he can be built for atack dmg or ability power or both

hope this helps.

DirectControl

11-08-2011

AD champions deal mostly Physical damage and use your Attack Damage (with different ratios depending on the champion) to boost their damage or whatever they do. Ezreal's Q (mystic shot) deals Physical Damage and is boosted by both Ability Power and Attack Damage, but the ratio for Attack Damage is higher than the Ability Power ratio, so it's the main skill of an AD Ezreal's gameplay.

AP champions deal Magic damage and use your Ability Power (again, with different ratios depending on the champ) to boost their damage or whatever they do. Ezreal's W E and R deal Magic damage, though his W and E benefit only from Ability Power, while his R benefits from both Attack Damage and Ability Power (again, doing Magic damage).

Magic damage is countered by Magic Resistance while Physical damage is countered by Armor.
(True damage bypasses every kind of resistance, not relevant, but still)

As you can see, AP and AD spells are not always associated with Magic damage and Physical damage respectively.

Mystic Shot - Benefits from AP and AD - Physical Damage

Essence Flux - Benefits from AP - Magic Damage

Arcane Shift - Benefits from AP - Magic Damage

Trueshot Barrage - Benefits from AP and AD - Magic Damage

Vudugambit

11-09-2011

Thank you very much guys. This helped me a lot. Especially the link.