[Champion Concept] Strider, the Time-Traveler

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shamus Aran

11-08-2011

Basic concept: Time travel. Everyone loves time travel! Don't you?

Melee, Fighter, Carry

Background
A swordsman from (you guessed it) the future. He was sent back in time by the League of Legends, 300 years in the future, after ancient records were discovered detailing his application to the Institute of Justice. He came back as he was required to by temporal law, wielding the best blade the future could produce. At his application, a record was created, which would survive for 300 years and eventually prompt Strider's return to the past, which itself caused the record to be created, and so on.

A lot of things about Strider's origin don't make much sense at first glance. But nobody's disputing the power of the time-traveling devices he carries, nor their surprising effectiveness in combat.

"Zilean? That guy's old-school. Anyone can get time to work with you. It's a lot harder to make it work for you."

Stats
Health: 4/10
Attack: 5/10
Magic: 8/10
Difficulty 7-9/10

Abilities

Passive: Causality

Quote:
Whenever Strider summons a future version of himself through time-travel, a flat 15% of the damage he or any of his doubles take is ignored and distributed among all other Striders. All "duplicate" Striders on the map follow commands as if they were a single pet.

If a Strider dies, the other Striders on the field are Doomed by causality. Doomed duplicates last 5 seconds before reality cleans them up by causing them to die horribly in random and unpredictable ways.
LAYMAN'S TERMS:
If you have active doubles, 15% of the damage you take is transferred and distributed among them. If you or one of your doubles dies, all Striders die in 5 seconds.

Q: Revert
Quote:
All Striders present teleport across a line to the targeted point. If an enemy is between a Strider and the target location, the Strider will teleport to them and hit them with an attack charged with energy, slowing them.
LAYMAN'S TERMS:
Skillshot teleport+nuke, cast by you and all pets. On hit, teleports you to and slows the target.

Damage: 60/70/80/90/100(+.8 AD)
Every additional Strider hitting deals 70/60/50/40/30% less damage.
Range: 600/625/650/675/700
Cost: 75/90/105/120/135 mana.
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds.

W: Replicate
Quote:
Strider, a short time from when Replicate is cast, will travel back in time and aid himself in battle. Meanwhile, his future self arrives from the future and essentially acts as the "player's" Strider, casting any spells. Future Strider can cast Replicate again, summoning another Future Strider and causing the casting Strider to turn into another "Past Strider" who will travel back in time 30 seconds from the point of casting. If a Past Strider dies, any Striders future to him are Doomed.
LAYMAN'S TERMS:
A copy of Strider appears, with 100% of your stats, which you can command. He will disappear after the below time limit. All pets are affected by your passive.

Maximum limit of 1/1/2/2/3 extra Striders at once.
Duplicate Strider will travel back in time after 20/25/25/30/30 seconds.

Cost: 80 mana.

E: Realign
Quote:
Strider and all his duplicates travel forward 2/3/4/5/6 seconds in time. During this time, Strider is nonpresent on the field. He cannot take any actions, see through the fog of war, move, gain experience, etc, because he isn't there! The duration of all status affects and cooldowns are paused until Strider arrives from the past.
LAYMAN'S TERMS:
You and all your pets become untargetable, and intangible for 2/3/4/5/6 seconds. While Realign lasts, all buffs, debuffs, and cooldowns are paused.

Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 mana
Cooldown: 25 seconds

R: Relapse
Quote:
A future Strider appears anywhere on the map and the player assumes control of him. All Striders but the one who cast Recall desummon early. The remaining "past" Strider then runs to the point where Recall was cast, traveling back in time on arrival. If Strider is killed en route, the Future Strider is Doomed. Two Recalls cannot be in progress at the same time.
LAYMAN'S TERMS:
Desummons all pets, transports instantly to target location. An uncontrollable pet is left where you teleported away from, which runs to the target location on foot. It desummons on arrival, starting Recall's cooldown. If it dies, you die in 5 seconds.

Range: 2000/4000/6000
Cost: 200 mana
Cooldown: 20 seconds from the previous Recall ending.

Strategy
  • Realign makes Strider rather slippery. If used properly, it can fool an enemy into thinking you're miles away, when in reality you're mere seconds ahead.
  • Replicate is Strider's bread-and-butter offensive spell. Strider has mediocre damage output by himself, but 3 Striders are nothing to sneeze at.
  • Realign is great for waiting on a minion wave or simply escaping from a pursuer. With a little planning, it can also become a killer ambush tool, especially when coupled with his other abilities.
  • Compared to Twisted Fate's much similar Gate, Recall takes a lot more finagling to get right, and has far less range at ranks 1 and 2. Strider also doesn't have the luxury of TF's Destiny to show him where it is and isn't safe to port to.
  • Success with Strider is largely dependent on how well his abilities are used in tandem. Pardon the pun, but timing is everything.

Emotes

Selected:
  • "We making this happen?"

Move/Attack:
  • "Fine, I'm going."
  • "Alright, alright."
  • "I knew you were gonna say that."
  • "Keep your shirt on, Sparky."
  • "If you say so..."
  • "ETA, right now."
  • "I'll try to get there in time. ...Sorry."

Taunt:
  • "I saw you ten minutes in the future. You might wanna call your insurance agency."
  • "Remember that minion you passed five minutes ago? I remember him too."

Joke:
  • "How many time-travelers does it take to change a lightbulb? ... I don't know, we're not allowed to change anything."

Dance: Random breakdancing.

Skins
  • Classic Strider
  • Hextech Strider (H.G. Wells's The Time Machine)
  • Doctor Strider (Dr. Who)
  • Chronokeeper Strider (Zilean-esque)
  • Time Cop Strider (bweeeeeooooo)

Judgement
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=17605390

Aoeiyu

11-08-2011

Nice tricky concept but no scalings, no damage abilities, anywhere?

Shamus Aran

11-08-2011

He's pretty AD-heavy, like Tristana but more so. The abilities are there to help the player use that AD. The closest thing to a damage ability would be judicious use of the W skill.

Phoneixflare

11-08-2011

i think he needs at least 1 damaging ability. He SORT OF reminds me of PL from DotA except way cooler, and even he has phantom lance.
I think his q should still have the same ability, only add something to either w or e that is a single target or even skillshot based on how many "selves" are present on the battlefield. That'd be really cool and would make Strider players have to prepare for battle.
I think he could actually be played as a carry. just strictly an auto attack based carry, like Yi.
I'm a bit confused by the passive actually. It seems to be really cool, if i am understanding it correctly. But i dont know if i am. Would you mind clarifying it and how it works exactly? give a specific example of how it would function in combat.

Shamus Aran

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoneixflare View Post
i think he needs at least 1 damaging ability. I think his q should still have the same ability, only add something to either w or e that is a single target or even skillshot based on how many "selves" are present on the battlefield. That'd be really cool and would make Strider players have to prepare for battle.
Yeah, fair enough. I'll see about working something in.

Quote:
He SORT OF reminds me of PL from DotA except way cooler.
You have no idea how happy those last two words make me.

Quote:
I think he could actually be played as a carry. just strictly an auto attack based carry, like Yi.
That was the general idea, actually.

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by the passive actually. It seems to be really cool, if i am understanding it correctly. But i dont know if i am. Would you mind clarifying it and how it works exactly? give a specific example of how it would function in combat.
OK, here we go. Hypothetical battle scenario time.

Strider uses Replicate twice, summoning two future "him"s. Strider then gets into a battle, and naturally takes damage. 25% of that damage, regardless of how much, passes over Strider and affects his first timeclone instead. But since that timeclone cast Replicate to make the second clone, 25% of that 25% goes to the second one. If the Clone 1 gets hit directly, the "present" Strider takes no damage, and 25% of the damage taken by Clone 1 gets passed over to Clone 2. If the Clone 2 gets hit directly, he takes the full brunt since he has no future selves.

Now, let's say the "original" Strider is slain. I don't know, let's say Warwick did it. Clone 1 and 2 had to have been Strider from the present to travel into the past and help him, and Strider obviously can't travel to become them now that he's dead. The two clones came from nowhere! They are now Doomed by virtue of violating the Law of Causality. They have five seconds to make their peace before a meteor hits them, or a tree falls on them, or what have you. It's unavoidable.

Now, if Clone 1 dies, Clone 2 is Doomed. The "Present" Strider is unaffected, since he never had to be Clone 1 beforehand. He just doesn't travel to become Clone 1 because, hey, Clone 1's already dead. Not becoming him can't have any ill effects.

If Strider cancels his ultimate, the Doomed time clone produced dies instantly, by similar means.

I hope that was in-depth enough for you.

Ire Researcher

11-08-2011

Strideeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!

Attachment 316489

I swear nobody on this forum reads Homestuck.

Shamus Aran

11-08-2011

Herpadoo there's the reference. You win, flawless victory, good day sir.

Also, I've added a passive to the W that gives all Striders a ranged attack after using an ability.

Ire Researcher

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus Aran View Post
Herpadoo there's the reference. You win, flawless victory, good day sir.

Also, I've added a passive to the W that gives all Striders a ranged attack after using an ability.
Of course. It's in my name. I have to research the references. ALL OF THEM.

His ranged attack ought to look like him teleport-slashing.

If Riot doesn't get the reference and uses this, it might be ironic.

NubTactics

11-08-2011

interesting concept. however i have some problems with this.

-q is op if the mana cost refunds itself. you can just reset after a trade hit by running away from your opponent and restore damage taken. It also makes ganks really weird. while you can argue that EVERYTHING is reset, it also destroys the element of surprise that comes from ganks. ganking this champion would be extremely hard.
-700 aa range on w makes trade hits op. cast once= 2 long range aa's (700 aa range is pretty ridiculous, that's longer than caitlins). cast again= 3 long range aa's. in a quick moment you will have dealt 500 damage for the cost of what, 180 mana? i would like to know the cooldown on this spell.
also duration on blaster charge buff is way too long
- i'm not sure how i feel about zhonya active as an ability.

and ultimately, while this is a very interesting concept that should be explored, i can't help but think that the programming for this champion would be very very difficult.

Shamus Aran

11-08-2011

Thanks for the feedback. Changelist time!

• Reversal's cost is no longer refunded, and costs a flat 150 mana. Also added ten seconds to the cooldown across all ranks.
  • Halved the range bonus on Replicate's passive and reduced the buff duration to 5 seconds.

Also, Realign isn't exactly Zhonya's. Realign pauses cooldowns and buff/debuff durations, and takes out fog vision. Zhonya's doesn't do any of that and that's a pretty key part of the strategy while using it. Also, someone using Zhonya's is quite visible while it's working.

Realign is an escape, but a very predictable one. It's essentially a 4D version of Shako's Deceive.

And finally, thank you for saying it's an interesting concept. I appreciate that.

12345 ... 7