Dominion Tier List and Analysis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ScaldingHotSoup

11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elealar View Post
Which pure "support" champions exist? Every single one can build AP, AD or Tanky and be viable (though Taric is the least impressive of the bunch in my experience; feels much like AD Sion). Soraka's strong, Sona is amazing, Janna is strong, Karma is decent, Alistar is one of the best tanks/tanky DPSs on the map, Taric is decent, Zilean is god-friggin'-**** amazing (that kit!), Nidalee is strong and Lux is decent (though worse than Ezreal).
As primarily a lux player, I've never had a problem with an enemy Ezreal. Lux's range is longer, excepting the ult, and even there I think Lux's is better. Ez's ult is global, but lux's is instant, meaning that you can disrupt captures more quickly, and with 1/3 the cooldown.

Elealar

11-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldingHotSoup View Post
As primarily a lux player, I've never had a problem with an enemy Ezreal. Lux's range is longer, excepting the ult, and even there I think Lux's is better. Ez's ult is global, but lux's is instant, meaning that you can disrupt captures more quickly, and with 1/3 the cooldown.
Both have their roles but I feel Ezreal contributes more to an average team (aside the damage type discrepancy). He does lack the CC but he does reliable long range damage with a great mobility spell, good stand-up damage, global ultimate & ridiculously low cooldowns compared to Lux (hell, the ults are on a similar CD thanks to Mystic Shot). But of course, the fact that Lux has two CC abilities means Ez can never actually perform her actual role, even with reliable slow for Mystic Shots.

Stimuz

11-15-2011

Quote:
Both have their roles but I feel Ezreal contributes more to an average team (aside the damage type discrepancy). He does lack the CC but he does reliable long range damage with a great mobility spell, good stand-up damage, global ultimate & ridiculously low cooldowns compared to Lux (hell, the ults are on a similar CD thanks to Mystic Shot). But of course, the fact that Lux has two CC abilities means Ez can never actually perform her actual role, even with reliable slow for Mystic Shots.
lux + janna or nidalee = dream team

TB Once

11-16-2011

Quote:
Which pure "support" champions exist? Every single one can build AP, AD or Tanky and be viable (though Taric is the least impressive of the bunch in my experience; feels much like AD Sion). Soraka's strong, Sona is amazing, Janna is strong, Karma is decent, Alistar is one of the best tanks/tanky DPSs on the map, Taric is decent, Zilean is god-friggin'-**** amazing (that kit!), Nidalee is strong and Lux is decent (though worse than Ezreal).
Can you elaborate on why Zilean is so good? I've yet to place him in a tier. Some of my friends have been playing him to moderate success lately, but I've yet to see him really shine.

Elealar

11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncewasblind View Post
Can you elaborate on why Zilean is so good? I've yet to place him in a tier. Some of my friends have been playing him to moderate success lately, but I've yet to see him really shine.
Alright. Why I think Zilean is so good:
- He offers insane sustained movement speed to himself and one ally when he maxes Rewind and CDR (so around level 14). The utility of getting two champions anywhere on the map at 550 (more with speed shrines) is obvious. Before then he can generally speedbuff one champion at a time at best (though this has obvious benefits for Windmill, with him being able to haste two allies while capping mid and then following up faster than the enemy mid unless their mid has a speedbuff too)

- He has some of the highest early burst in the game. As Rewind allows using the same ability twice, he effectively gets the damage of two max rank offensive abilities by maxing one; no other champion gets as much damage for as little effort (this begins to wind down after level 9 when second skills begin to get maxed of course). This makes him amazing for e.g. Windmill, especially since his damage is AOE.

- Pretty sure you can still ignore MR by double bombing creeps or allies. Haven't tested this after the last patch though. If you can, his DPS is obviously still ridiculous.

- His passive is amazing for early game. Basically, your team gets enough XP to hit level 6 for about the second Windmill fight which with all your ultimates is almost an autowin.

- He's a superb point holder. Speed buff + slow to kite people and Bombs to interrupt captures; I've gotten called expletives multiple times by e.g. prodigal Poppies who think their ultimate will help them dive you (between your slows, bombs and rewind, he'll never kill you). As a bonus, he's also a great pusher; double Bomb a lower HP creep after auto attack or two to wipe the whole wave.

- He's a great siege engine. Dropping bombs on attacking creeps, any divers on your team, any enemies who get too close (Bomb > Slow > Rewind > Bomb > Speed Up Initiator = free point; Speed Up > Bomb > Rewind > Slow > Bomb = great harass sequence with little counterplay outside extreme range champs) allows you to easily whittle down just about any defenders especially since it's insanely hard to avoid the AOEs on point.

- The slow is absolutely devastating for Tanky DPS and many assassin types. It's not hard CC but it's high enough slow to almost be a Snare (without the skill disables obviously).

- His ultimate has like 30 sec cooldown with Rewind spam; it's even possible to use it once in a prolonged fight over a point. I shouldn't need to sing praises to it, but I'll do it of course: The 2 sec delay in reviving is insanely strong for point defending; long enough to maximize the time you're defending, just too short for cappers to do meaningful capturing progress. It's insanely valuable on any attacking tanky type who can soak up infinite damage and effectively get the only unnerfed Heal on the map for like 2/3rds of his health. It's great for keeping the Penta-assassin alive through enemy's burst and clean up. Enough praise has been sung for this skill over the years that I needn't do more.

- He's a ridiculously strong counter to Poppy (she targets someone else? Ult. She targets you? Bomb + Slow + Speed buff kite the ult out), who seems to be topping out many of the "champ I have trouble against" lists.

Overall, while his DPS later on isn't all that high, he's still an extremely mobile and hard to remove defender and attacker with good pushing, and the ability to speed an ally up, and he still does have "two" .9 AP Ratio AOE attacks with fair cooldowns and good base damage. His kit is overall just ridiculous on this map (provided you're good at timing Chronoshifts; if you waste it, his value goes down manyfold). And Quicksilver Sash is a rather cheap option for games where you're dealing with abilities that make timing your Chronoshift optimally hard (such as champions like Kassadin, Talon, Warwick, Malzahar, etc.).

With the new masteries, Awareness moves up (his passive is best in combination with it) and CDR becomes a bit more readily available. I'm not 100% sure how much he's affected but I'm thinking the benefits of his passive will be reduced a bit while you gain tankier build options for him.

As for how I build him, I usually go Catalyst > Boots (into Ionians) > Codex > RoA > Deathcap (into Voidstaff + DFG eventually if the game allows), with stuff like Frozen Heart, Moonflair Spellblade or QSS if the game requires. His only real weakness, I find, is that he lacks hard CC. But his ultimate, speed boost and slow really make up for that. And of course, he isn't named Kassadin which does suck but the names in this game are unique so little you can do there. And it may be possible to rework his CDR setup with these new Masteries; will have to look into that. Sorcs, Mercs and Tabi are awesome, after all.

NME Jammy

11-22-2011

This guys may be good at Dominion but I'll wipe the floor with him! @oncewasblind Salty!!!

NME Jammy

11-30-2011

After re-reading this list. I would think you would need to change up alittle. As you know, my main player that rolls face in Dominoin is Irelia. I think she is great and if you have riven Tier2 then Irelia and Lee Sin should be tier 2 due to the fact they serve the same role as riven and can do it almost or best then Riven.

Now when it comes to roles in Dominion, I've been seeing less runners. I know a runner is key, but there are champs that can fill the role of runner and brawler. High mobility champs such as Akali, Lee Sin, Riven, Irelia, J4, Kassidan, Sivir(with the new rework), Poppy, Blitz, Graves, and some other(I dont need to list all 40 something high mobility champs) can easily negate a good runner such as Janna, Eve, Shaco. The Damage output on the high mobility brawlers makes it easy for them to defend turrets and also invade turrets. IMHO, I would rather see a team of two holders like Yorick/Maok/Leona/Alistar etc. and then three high mobility brawlers that move as a group to invade enemy home turrets or take back Windmill by force and then help hold the Main turrets. I think sometimes people get too aggressive in Dominion and give away their advantage which is position. The towers can do a ton of damage but can serve more of a mental advantage over a team. They know they must take turret damage to neutralize the point and then to eventually try to cap. The group of three moving as a unit can also build complementary to each other. Two can build tanky damage while one build more high bursty in and out fighting damage. The three man group gives the team high utility and also can give the team continuity. Each member knows their role and does not need in game direction to be successful taking away communication issues. The two holders hold the bot and top positions or invade those caped positions while the group moves to help defend or invade points. They know where to go (Follow the Group, or go to your Point). Obviously, there are specific ingame situations where someone would have to split from the group to counter the enemy team startegy.

All in All, I think the Tier list is good but changes need to be made due to the shift in game play and player experience within the Dominion map.

Master Jstar

11-30-2011

you forgot teemo!! hes a beast with quick move and boots of speed he can get to and capture points before people come. and his mushrooms help a ton he should be top tier or second tier for sure

Jpeg

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncewasblind View Post
Read what tier 3 means in my explanation. It doesn't mean they're bad.
so their are no bad champions... as 3 is the lowest? my suggestion, if you want to make a tier list; make some decisions make claims that champions are bad/good. this tier list might as well be 1 sentence:

"Game is balanced, some champs are slightly better than others depending on situation".

NME Jammy

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg View Post
so their are no bad champions... as 3 is the lowest? my suggestion, if you want to make a tier list; make some decisions make claims that champions are bad/good. this tier list might as well be 1 sentence:

"Game is balanced, some champs are slightly better than others depending on situation".
The real problem is that can be true. Depending on the situation, some champs are slightly better than others. The game is pretty balanced. The point of a tier list isnt to give opinion on how good/bad champs are but how there abilities and gameplay styles fit into the gameplay style of the Dominion map regardless of who they play against or with. And of course there are exceptions to each champ due to user ability, but the point of a tier list is to rate the champs abilities to be successful in the hands of a player that has never played Dominion before.