Dominion Died Out?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigDaddyDelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

I play Dominion nearly exclusively, I've dipped into SR a few times but to me it isn't as fun as Dom is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I do feel as though most people's opinions on Dominion are hugely misguided.

If it's not your preferred style of play then fine. But it's hugely unfair to say things like it lacks strategy, it's unfit for competitive level play, or whatever. Because it couldn't be farther from the truth, it really is one of those, "l2p" situations.

And as far as balance is concerned, it's a lot more balanced than what people give it credit for, and is another, "l2p" kind of thing.

Yeah there are some champs that are legitimately superstar strong, but it's not like SR is the epitome of balance either.

Conncept

11-08-2011

Nope, still awesome, still far superior to SR.

T3kn0man

11-08-2011

Thanks for sharing. Wrong, but thanks for sharing. SR is that way. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Seriphym

11-08-2011

I love it!

KrYoS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2011

Dominion is way more fun to me than SR is now. The action is fast and intense and the momentum can change in an instant. I can't see how anyone would think the game is boring, other than that they are good at SR and bad at CS. Dominion is a lot different than SR, but it still takes a lot of skill and teamwork to do well. Perhaps if your thing is last hitting minions and spending more time farming creeps than fighting other people, I can see why Dominion would not appeal to you, but personally, I find it much more exciting.

Zhevrun

11-09-2011

Dominion is arguably the only game style I'll play and it's the only reason I picked League back up again. I used to like jungling on SR way back before Season 1 when Warwick was king of the jungle, and Mordekaiser was just released, and it was the only game mode. The game changed, the meta changed, new champions came out while old champions became obsolete or were nerfed out of their roles. I played Twisted Treeline when it first released because it brought back the old feelings of jungling and was more 'instant action' that I think should be in the MOBA game style.

I've never been a fan of Age of Strife/DOTA gameplay that focuses on micro-controlling resources and farming/denying/'getting fed' for a while before you actually start simply so you can steamroll the opposition. SR feels more like a tower-defense minigame with some PVP thrown in than an actual MOBA/Battle Arena. Dominion, however, gives that 'always action' feeling that it's about fighting, about individual contribution, and about champion versus champion - something that LoL isn't particularly well-balanced for, but is more fun and rewarding in my opinion.

I like the idea of competitive Dominion, but that's definitely not going to mesh well with the Summoner's Rift and core DOTA audience. Then again, when DOTA2 comes out and is a clone of DOTA and HoN, a lot of those players will migrate to that competitive arena where the more familiar skills they built specifically for that game mode will be rewarded. Trying to juggle both SR balance and Dominion balance with the same core characters is going to be a mess, if it's even possible at all. That's why the neglected Twisted Treeline balance, after all.

For those whom tl;dr - I only play Dominion, because I prefer PvP over Tower Defense.

Murallas

11-09-2011

I'm really new at lol, only level 8, so I don't have a lot of time invested in SR. I like SR, but Dominion is really fun. The games feel more action packed, and more about pvp and killing.

Tewnam

11-09-2011

Dominion is the only reason that I still play LoL. Sorry for not having fun last-hitting or jungling. For those saying that Dominion has no strategic value, you're absolutely wrong. There are general strategies that you can follow, with focus on holding three bases, controlling the jungle, pushing for more, back-capping, or a combination of them. The game is also far more tactical than SR. How you react to what the opposing team does makes a much bigger impact on the game.

MayhemLikeMe

11-09-2011

The answer to the OP's original question is obviously; no, Dominion has not died out.

Indigni

11-09-2011

For a few weeks after Dominion was released, I played it exclusively. It was fun, it was fast, the action started a minute in and was tense throughout the 20 minute match; but I've gone back to primarily playing co-op games. I still like Dominion, but I got tired of playing the same cast of champions who were viable to my play style and getting REAMED with verbal abuse from my own teammates for trying to play a champion who wasn't in the "Dominion Canon" (even when I'd pull at least third rank with them). Basically, I dropped out of Dominion to learn a few new champions, and then once I had discontinued playing that mode for a few days, I started to grimace at the thought of sitting down to a match of Dominion when I could just play another co-op; yeah co-op's easy, but people don't take it seriously. At first, people didn't take Dominion as seriously, and I think that was a large part of the appeal for me. Yes, it was intense; yes, it got my adrenaline pumping; but throw in toxic teammates and trolls and it's like being on a bad shroom trip. I play video games to relax at the end of the day, not to get myself worked up.

But, I'm not representative of the competitive gamer; other people may find the points that I critique to be the MOST entertaining part of the mode, or of LoL in general.