I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Borigrad

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

It's pretty bad, casters lack any serious item to get them an early game boost, meaning they are forced to go bot and farm, and play aggresively at the same time. Compared to AD and Tanky dps who just get this huge amount of items to boost them mid game-late game. Back dooring is a serious issue early game.

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?

Health Packs/Speed Shrines/Storm Shield don't give vision making any team with Shaco or Teemo have a huge advantage, because the other team simply can't use these objectives anymore. Also towers do way to much damage in an early game push, to the point it's better to simply farm and not push for the first 5 minutes if you are solo bot.

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

No, but i do enjoy it.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?

Certain heroes are just ridiculously imbalanced, Heimer and Rammus stand out. Stealth is annoying because oracles extract is practically worthless (stealth is anti-fun, even on dominion) If you are capping a point it still counts toward them. It doesn't go neutral.

Example for last sentences point. Game is 3 points remaining to 10 points remaining. Team with 3 points cannot possibly win because it takes more then 3 seconds to uncap even with 2 people. But if the capping point turned neutral and didn't count toward tower advantage, this would actually allow close games to be won with strategy and rotational capping in a final push.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Ironic that this post has 4 pages to general forum's 40 at this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
Hi guys, we've been talking internally and throwing some ideas around about how we want to tweak Dominion and I just wanted to drop by to get some of your guys' raw feedback on what you'd like to see!

Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
Impressions : There's a few champs that really stand out (Jax, Rammus, Poppy, Akali) as in need of balance, and gap-closer mechanics are very strong/needed for success. Burst champs (besides mages) do very well. Mages aren't useless, but late game especially it's basically 'burst, burst, **** I didn't kill Jax - oh he just healed it all back as he beat the **** out of me while my cooldowns were down' ... Mages aren't BAD, but cooldown-reliant mechanics make them comparatively underpowered if a game goes long imo. Kassadin's a good exception to that statement given the unlimited mana and his gap closer/creator; he can burst/burst then flash out of range.

Biggest peeve : Feeling like I'm locked into a set team comp/meta if I want to win - defend windmill at all costs, strong solo lane bot, move in groups and win small team fights...
Peeve runner-up: Quests can just be darn stupid at times. Enemy takes our mid, then quest decides we need to retake it... there's no way the enemy can hold it. Defending windmill right after taking it, similar issue.

I don't play exclusively dominion, and I enjoy it when I have time. I like having friends new to the game do it after they start being decent in customs/AI games, since Dominion gives them free money/levels they won't get if they get beat down in SR, and some experience in team fights.

Ansen

11-07-2011

--- Balance Impressions ---
I think balance on Dominion is much better than what it's often given credit for. Characters that people screamed 'OP' about on release such as Rammus or Akali can certainly be strong picks, but they're not auto-wins by any stretch. For example, Rammus is obviously the fastest champ in the game, but if the opposing team is positioned correctly (admittedly a big "if" in solo queue) then backdooring is extremely difficult, even with him. As for Akali, stealth-detection items counter her pretty hard if people would just use them. There are obviously stronger picks (Heimer, Poppy, Shaco) and weaker picks but this isn't really any different than Summoner's Rift (just different ones at the top and bottom).

--- Biggest Pet Peeve ---
I can't get my friends to play with me. I don't play as much Dominion as I'd like to, because I find LoL (both Dominion and Classic) to be exponentially more enjoyable when playing with pre-mades. But a good portion of my friends say they don't like Dominion, although they can't really seem to give me a good reason why. Some say it's "less strategic" or "too unbalanced" but I think this is because of a lack of familiarity with the map. I also play Twisted Treeline and hear the same complaints about it (give some attention to this map too please!!). I think the biggest issue is that there is no high-level competitive scene on these maps to set a meta for people to follow. Without any high-level examples of "how the game is supposed to be played" they just get frustrated and say it's mindless and there's no rhyme or reason to it.

ColdFireBeast

11-07-2011

I play exclusively Dominion. I find SR way too boring and the 10-20 minutes of PvE that goes with it to be ugh.

I'd like to see the gold per time nerfs not only reverted, but gold per unit time buffed. As it stands now, I have trouble finishing a full build even if I have 30+ kills. I think it's a bit silly that it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to make a full build on a map that was heralded as being super normal to finish a complete build.

I think thornmail needs to be seriously examined for this map. It's almost impossible to get enough lifesteal and MR combined to counter the one item without making yourself worthless. I'd personally suggest thornmail return 30% of the ACTUAL damage dealt instead of returning the damage dealt before armor calculations.

All I've got for now.

TokinPrez

11-07-2011

SO I have read everyones responses so far and the people who are very negative about Dominion I decided to look up their match history and once again the haters have nearly no games played. You do realize judging Dominion and then spreading your uninformed opinions helps no one. If I played 10 games of SR would I be able to judge the game and talk about balance? If I played say WoW for 4 hours could I judge that game? How about a few matches of SC2, could I say much about that games balance and skill? I mean honestly, if you have issues with the game mode speak up but only if you have really invested time to understand Dominion at all.

Aliai talks about how mages are not good on Dominion, this player has NO dominion wins on record.
Ddaimyo has 4 recorded dominion wins
Primanocte 19 wins
Recitifier 19 wins
Rauron 18 wins

I feel that needs to be noted, people dissing the game when they have not real understanding of it.

I also see a lot of variety with complaints to champion balance which means that things are more balanced then many give credit for so far I have seen people say these are to strong..

Pantheon
Heimerdinger
Akali
Poppy
Rammus
Jax
Singed
Yorick
Ryze
Urgot
Shaco
Tryndamere
Teemo
Kassadin
Sion
Eve

And I am sure as more people chime in you will see even more champions added to the list of those people feel are OP on Dominion and were at 16 as it is....and honestly nearly all of those champs are not OP just strong and take effort to deal with, having to put up a fight or counter build or pick does not mean a champ is OP at all.

So yea as far as balance goes based on what I feel and see here, it lookeds good and has far more variety then I used to see on SR which was a bit stagnant.

Lachrymosity

11-07-2011

ever thought of giving the dominion buff cdr? I think it would help some champs (casters for example) since there is no blue buff for cdr and many of the cdr builds arent the greatest on dominion for casters

ViolentlyCar

11-07-2011

Quote:
I'm a serious player, and for me, the issue is largely with the balance of a handful of characters - mostly ones who don't often get a lot of farm on SR. I've already shown Brackhar that list.

Quote:
Shaco boxes are very unpleasant to deal with. I also hate dodge as a general rule and the fact that so many people run Ninja Tabi is very irritating.

Quote:
Yep. Summoner's Rift is a bore compared to Dominion.

McMadd

11-07-2011

Except for the odd custom bot game when trying a new champ, I have played nothing but Dominion since it released. I really do love the mode overall. I don't like playing a game of "last hit the minion." I want ACTION, and Dominion offers it.

I started playing League around the time Leona came out, so I haven't touched Ranked yet. Still gathering runes and champs. I am definitely looking forward to Dominion Ranked though. Very excited for it!

Would it be possible to nerf a champion only in Dominion mode without changing how they work in SR? Rammus, for example, clearly needs some changes if you ever want to see him not banned.

I feel that the personal scoring system is still incredibly inaccurate. If I die off of the point because I'm holding off the enemy while my team finishes a cap, I don't really get anything for it, even though I know the cap would have failed if I hadn't done it.

I have grown to hate the middle buff. This happens a lot: We have taken windmill and the enemy has just respawned. 3 of them are coming, and 3 of us are currently defending the point. "BUT LOOK, a shiny mid buff!" our Poppy says, and wanders off. We lose 2v3, and then she comes charging in like she's OP enough to 1v3. NOPE, she's down, point's gone. I have seen too many players get distracted by the lure of that buff rather than move with the team.

Ansen

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeb View Post
Ironic that this post has 4 pages to general forum's 40 at this time...
I think it's rather telling that there's a bunch more "Dominion bad tanky DPS too strong," posts in the GD version.

nguyenmb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:
What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion?
Draft mode balance is somewhat fine. Most strong/popular picks are counterable. However, because it's usually not fun trying to counter, Rammus, Shaco, Akali, and Jax seem to always be banned.

Also, there are numerous characters that are extra annoying on Dominion.

Shaco - Everything he does is annoying.
Heimerdinger - pushing ability plus defense

High Mobility:
Rammus
Kassadin

Interacting/preventing caps while dead:
Yorick
Karthus

Noninteractive global ults:
Gankplank
Karthus
Ezreal

poppy - wall bonus is way imbalanced

Quote:
It used to be the rez time difference, but now that is no longer there, my biggest pet peeve is that a 30-60 second d/c is usually an auto loss.

Trying to rightclick a champ, and instead start capping the point...

I also feel cap disruption rules should be relooked at. Requiring the champ to be alive and close by would be an improvement.

Quote:
I play dominion exclusively. Farming is my least favorite aspect in SR, I'm glad to never have to farm again. Whenever I want lane interaction, I just go bot. The 20 minute time is really nice too.