I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blazingswordsman

11-07-2011

I play Dominion exclusively, and I intend to play ranked mode in Dominion when that gets released but I wouldn't consider myself any more competitive than the next guy.

I'll start with what I like about it. Naturally its faster-paced, more exciting, a lot of nail-biting moments. I think a lot of it has to do with an automatic resource gathering, both over time and just playing objectives. The manual resource gathering in SR is really more of a chore than a game. In addition I like how every moment matters, right up to the last second in Dominion. Too many times in SR it feels like you already lost half-way and you're just going through the motions to finish the game.

I see a good variety of champions when playing Dominion, more so than I recall from SR, and they vary pretty wildly in terms of score, although that's probably due to differences in player skill. I feel like a lot of the complaints about balance in dominion are over-exaggerated (but still real), especially since the gun-blade nerf. There are some champions that are more frustrating too deal with, naturally Heimer and Shaco, just in their static sort of defense, which really kills the mobile sort of exciting gameplay I love about Dominion.

My Pet Peeve is the seeming lack of item variety for AP casters in the Dominion store. A lot of SR staples require farming or build-up time to reach maximum effectiveness. RoA is the biggest offender here. I would like an item with immediate benefits, even at the cost of some stats (the catalyst passive is also useless in Dominion because without a laning phase, sustain isn't an issue). Warmogs suffers a similar fate.

Edit: Just as a last thought on balance. I think that if you improve AP item selection, and therefore buff casters in Dominion, it will tone down some popular "trouble champions" such as Jax, Tryndamere, Akali, and Rammus

Jadarok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

I haven't played a game of Summoner's Rift since Dominion came out. It's so much more fun. As for balance i can never say for sure. To me it doesn't feel any worse than SR. I get the same moments in Dominion that I did in SR where I thought "Well this is freaking OP!"

My only peeve is the carry over of some champs from SR doesn't fit perfectly. Like how certain abilities are obviously meant for classic play (Swain's passive Carrion Renewal for example) and really have no place in Dominion. Swain was one of my favorites in SR, and that little problem has made me shy away from him. Makes me feel like I'm playing a lesser version of Swain.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

the balance is best 10-15 minutes in. casters can be extremely strong early on with mpen builds but taper off hard late game when item builds become more unintuitive and poppy just hit you with Q for 3/4 of your health while you can't do anywhere near that to her.

SuperMagicNinja3

11-07-2011

I've tried Dominion only about 4 times now, and I keep failing >.> I'm at least an average player (I have a positive win loss at least) I think it's mostly because I can't find the strategy to it, I'm not saying there isn't one just that I can't get it down.. It also might have to do with the fact that a lot of the champions I play don't really work well on that map seeing as how it's the lair of hyper carries

Diabloman CQ

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

I think the balance in Dom is slanted more towards the AD side of the board due to the Item structure that we currently have , There is a definite abuse of Champs that are deemed OP by the masses but I think people are starting to evolve past those "easy mode" champs and move on to different team compositions. You do have to come up with interesting builds though for characters who don't exactly match Dominion standards (Cho'Gath) but the same would be said for SR.

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
AFK's - even for a couple of minutes, being AFK could turn the tide majorly in Dominion and ruin the event for the team.

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
I switched Exclusively Dominion for PVP purposes (besides my Beggybots 150 warmup everyday on SR)

GueGen

Recruiter

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primanocte View Post
You forgot Sion, Yorick and Eve.
and singed

BROSEPHIROTH

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
1. I consider myself a serious player and sport a 60% win rate over 225~ games. Hero balance is pretty good, and for the most part every single role (melee damage, ranged damage, mage, tank, support) each have roles to fill on Dominion. There are several outliers that I find problematic but I'm not sure at all how to fix them without adversely affecting SR.

As a whole I think Dominion is better balanced than SR. I'm excited for ranked.

2. ****ING SHACO BOXES.

My biggest pet peeve is that the map seems split into two parts: bot lane and everything above bot lane. Even if you attempt a mirrored laning strategy (send 4 bot and 1 mid, repeatedly cap enemy bot until enemy team adjusts then have your mid laner take top) it generally isn't workable for long because of how close bot turrets are to the spawn and how far away Windmill is from spawn (especially compared to Boneyard/Quarry).

I don't know how to fix this though. Some shifting around of the turrets could help alleviate this, or an increased emphasis on mid (especially quests for the Relic buff). Alternatively you could go for a X setup, instead of the pentagon we have right now - one turret at each end of the X and one in the middle.

3. I play Dominion exclusively. To me, Dominion is the real draw of League of Legends and offers something that no other game in this genre does.

Temporality

Recruiter

11-07-2011

Biggest problem with the map now is item balance.

- Add more caster items
- Remove Priscilla's Blessing
- Buff or lower the cost of Ionic Spark
- Buff Kitae's passive
- Make Oracle's Extract persist after death
- Make Sanguine Blade's stacks last longer

I think Entropy needs a buff, but I'm not sure how.

Another lifesteal item would be nice too considering we can't build Wriggles and that is a core item of many champions.

Both game modes need more armor & MR items too... what ever happened to that upgraded Hexdrinker?

I love Dominion and you guys have done a great job to balance it since launch, keep up the good work!

ddaimyo

11-07-2011

I dislike Dominion for the same reason I dislike Twisted Treeline. There's a small subset of S-tier champs on the maps that are must play or you lose. Draft mode helps here but there aren't enough bans to get rid of the S-tier champs. That combined with not being able to play my favorite champs without feeling very subpar is a big turn off for me.

AstaorthX

11-07-2011

-Some Champions need balancing on Dominion, (Akali, Pantheon, Poppy, Rammus, Jax, just to name a few).

-Scoring still somewhat inaccurate of how well someone is doing. Maybe just make it a Points Cap'd, Neutralized, Defended, Assisted and Interrupted measure instead of points.

-I think it would be interesting if players could only see the middle of the map, the nodes they control, and the lane between nodes they control. Example if 1 team has Windmill, Refine, and Quarry they can see those 3 nodes, the lanes between them (windmill to refine, refine to quarry,) and the storm shield buff. If this system becomes implemented bring wards back.

-Make more dominion specific items

-Make more increased capture rate items...but USEFUL ones instead of Pricillas.

-Maybe add a 10v10 possibility when you queue.

Side Notes: I love dominion, and I play it 10x as much as i played Twisted Treeline and more than ill ever play Summoner's Rift (hate it). The game mode has its quarks but still much more fun and much LESS frustrating than waiting 45 minutes to lose an SR game.