I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lethal stoner

11-14-2011

i play dominion exclusively now mostly because the lenght of the games and that theres more combat then strategy "basicly"
i found that SR just took to long and was only fun endgame when the turrets were gone and you were teamfighting
and in Dom its alot faster and some more action ofcourse there is strategy in dom but its pretty basic overall

and balance issues there are some champs less viable then others but if your good with that champion why not cause some serious rapeface with a so called " UP" character

but anyway in my opinion i dont want riot to focus too much on Dom since SR is a moba map and Dom is something different just make sure a champ aint too overpowered on dom and im fine with it if its weak on dom but awesome on SR let the SR players have it well take the other 40 champs

the only thing thats bothers me is that AD champs get more power basicly then AP champs i think you should remove the armpen and the magpen from the map and let kills give about 25 more gold wich aint much but i think would improve the gameplay a bit cause sometimes i just got my boots and trinity and the game is over :S or any item and a pair of boots atleast
anyway i love DoM it gave me a new game to play so i thankyou riot

Stoph

11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

- The balance is pretty good. Bot 1v1 some heroes need a little work, and you guys are addressing how some AD range carries are much stronger than others.

-My biggest concern is AD tanky is still quite hard to counter. I'm a ryze fanatic and he is beast, but stands no change to any ad who goes warmog's/atmas. They scale in survivabiliby and damage more than a tear/RoA/Frozen Heart caster.

- I'd also love to see an executioner's type item for casters. I shouldn't have to sacrifice a summoner skill because I'm a caster to prevent massive healing, while my right click hero friend can buy an Executioner's Calling that will apply said effect.

- My friend and I would love it if you could incorporate your allies health in the minimap icon, kind of like a circle around their portrait to give you an idea if it is worth helping out in a team fight. I'd say about a third of my game is spent watching the minimap. I'm sorry guys but the bar on the left just never gets used , its too far removed from anything else useful to be watching.

Quote:
-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
-Shaco, Yorik, and Blitzcrank. Also I feel that casters need a more 'mandred's' type item to help counter against beefy AD. The deathfire is okay, will work against a target, but in the end the melee version is much more team fight viable than the casters.

-I'm not doing my research so correct me if I'm wrong... but tenacity doesn't lower the cc duration of knock ups does it? Teams that rock Alistar, Xin, and monkey are pretty much an inescapable CC fest. Those are the games that I find myself getting 5 capped quick and easy. Maybe make diminishing returns on knock up/suppression effects if within a certain time span? This might just be me QQ'ing.

Quote:
-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
My three most common friends (2 RL and 1 I've been playing with since beta) are exclusivity Dominion. The faster pace, less of a time investment (and risk of wasting 40 minutes because of one person), and the change in strategy is very refreshing for older vets of LoL.

Hugs From Momma

11-20-2011

Quote:
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
It's generally good at this point. Balanced team comps with AD & AP champs, tankyness and a good solo laner are strongest. The group of champs that seems consistently too strong are assassins, especially AD assassins (Talon, Pantheon) and bursty fighters.

Quote:
Now that the spawn timers have been largely addressed, I would say the free armor / mpen aura. Tankiness isn't heavily favored on the map, and the towers are so weak that turtling is ineffective for most champs. It's better to just invest in more offense, especially if your armor is reduced 10% beyond what runes and masteries can apply.

We really need that Warmog's replacement and the penetration auras at least considered for removal, so building defense isn't so hard. This will definitely lower the emphasis on burst champions and give a little more duration to team fights.

Quote:
I pretty much only play it now.

ooIGGYoo

11-20-2011

I play almost exclusively Dominion now. Not that i have anything against SR, it is fun as well.

But Dominion has this "let the fun begin" thing. You start with 3 skills, some more items, you get to be the the heat of the fight a lot more.

Even if the "ramp-up" time of SR involves interesting and different strategies, to me it just doesnt compare. I want the action, NAO go****it!

Only thing would be that some champion really dont seem able to do much in Dominion. Since there is more fights, ganks, and tower are easier to neutralize, late game champion and carries seem to have a hard time. At least the ones that dont have a good escape.

AileTheAlien

11-20-2011

Dominion is, overall, much more fun than regular mode, and I play it almost exclusively. A few reasons:
- Shorter games mean less time wasted if you have an AFK/ragequit.
- Starting at level 3 with some gold means less time spent, in what I find to be the least fun part of regular mode.
- Comebacks are a lot more possible; SR has many more scenarios where it's just a long slow defeat.
- Far less pompous, abrasive, sweary/racist people in dominion than in SR; I have a feeling this is related to the three above points making people more relaxed.

The biggest problem I have with dominion is that holding top point, and the two beside your base is still the easiest, most guaranteed way to win. It's the most boring, but it works. The reasons for this are twofold: two points are far from your base/resupply (very hard to capture), and close to the enemy base/resupply (very easy to defend). The only solution I've thought up is changing how champs get into the game area from spawn. Instead of walking out, you could have a teleporter from your base to the middle of the map. It would need a count-up period so that you don't instantly spawn where you please, similar to how Recall has a countdown. Alternately, instead of one teleporter, you could have multiple teleporters to different areas. Either way, with this you get away from the scenario where certain points are drastically easier to defend.

IkomaTanomori

11-20-2011

My favorite thing about dominion: there is never a point where I'm 0 and 2, then 0 and 7, and can no longer contribute meaningfully to the match, because I've lost my lane too hard. So, my favorite thing is that the thing I hate on summoner's rift is gone. (the worst part about that being, once I've lost that hard, it usually still takes 10 to 20 more minutes of boring passive unpleasant losing to get to the end of the match - so another great thing is that dominion matches are shorter, so even a bad one is over faster)

Something I'd like to see fixed: I've come to the conclusion that the different death timers for losing teams aren't a good thing. I think a flat death timer would work better. It's quite frustrating when you do well most of the game, then the other team (losing by like 300) get an advantage in kills and farming somehow, and completely dominate all of a sudden because for the next 5 minutes while the score catches up they maintain this major tactical advantage of respawning faster. A flat death timer, like 25 seconds, would be better for rewarding killing enemies at the right place at the right time.

Erazmus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2011

Balancing is awful, just awful. You can go against certain teamcomps (Blind pick is guilty of this, mostly.) where you'll just get stomped so horrendously they 3 or 4 cap you for the entire games. Teams which have 5 of the OP champs, a team such as Irelia, Talon, Shaco, Jax, Akali, Rammus, Heimer, Yorick etc, mixing those is a recipe for a nightmare.

Assassins are also too strong, a team of 4 assassins will almost always crush you due to the abundance of small jumpable walls, their ability to see your movements due to the ring of sight around the entire map and the plentiful FOW dumb-spots like around corners.

The point system feels unbalanced still, especially when you take bot. Sometimes you're fifth on the team and you can't figure out why. Killing enemies, capped the enemy point 3 times, went to help in jungle fights a lot, stopped the eve who has a fetish for your mid... Doesn't seem to make a difference.

My biggest pet peeve are the hypercarry snowball champs which just become unstoppable and ruin the entire game.

Ethelion

11-21-2011

Balance in Dominion is just terrible, stealth/assasins are just WAY too strong, sure you can get an oracles extract, but keep in mind that most of the time your team will be scattered around and most of assasins got some crazy escape methods, plus there is plenty of mechanics abuse in terms of defense, champs like alistar, morg, heimer, shaco are just stupid on bot lane.

In terms of strategy, turtling is still the way to go, sure quests are nice and stuff but as far as ive seen, 90% of the times, when a competent team holds their 2 points and the windmil and stick to them, its pretty it, backdooring is useless and pushing bot lane will just make you more vulnerable to ganks, in best case scenario you will neutralize a point that is undefendable.

Ramnok

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2011

Quote:
Hi guys, we've been talking internally and throwing some ideas around about how we want to tweak Dominion and I just wanted to drop by to get some of your guys' raw feedback on what you'd like to see!

Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
honestly dominion is pretty epic as is yet there needs to be an emphasis on capturing more then doing ganks, had it happen the other day, was heading to mid to get a buff and was blindsided by 2 champs, TF and panth ulted in and I was dead before I had a chance to kill one and escape... not fun by any means...

My friends and I were talking about "Global" abilities not TF or Panth or Karth but Rammus' speedball is stupidly over powered when you put a skill set like knockup on it along with his taunt and natural thornmail (not to mention I've seen a majority get thornmail to add to the dmg output) His speed can be tweaked so it doesn't give him a compounding speed because no matter what champ I am I can always get wrecked by a good rammus just by being taunted...

Several other champs have balancing acts that need to be done, there needs to be a movement speed cap IMHO and it needs to be stuck too. I find I actually have a harder time playing if I dont take the boots of mobility but with a champ like fizz who needs every bit of gear he gets, that's one slot I cant fill with mobility, I've got to go cooldown boots...

There are times that I am paying attention and can jump over an ezreal or ashe global as fizz so those don't bother me as much yet Sion is a beast to kill.. saw him go all zeal's for the beginning part of the game, by the end he was 1 shotting casters, mind you he'd stun and hit and they'd be dead..

so item tweaking needs to be looked at in that case.. How about Diminishing returns on items, if you have 2 or 3 zeals phantom dancers or trin force the stats start to diminish.. same goes with lifesteal or spellsteal more then one starts to diminish the item.

It would prevent (how I feel it is exploiting) stacking the same item just to boost the stats on champs that do that.. I do like the speed of the games tho with me being sick currently I dont have enough ability to stay for long games due to constantly running to the bathroom all the time. So the quickness ensures I get in, play hard and go throw up afterwards.. yea... I play games when sick as a dog.. how else can I get my game on?

Tricount

11-21-2011

It would be really nice to have the ability to "mouse over" a team mate and see champions they have in common with you.

This would help out a lot when trying to solo-queue player trade.

um.... other than that.... thumbs up!