I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulstan

11-09-2011

My single biggest pet peeves are leavers/afk'ers who turn the game into 4v5. They are everywhere. They are the single biggest factor in making games unfun. Dominion is virtually unwinnable as 4v5. We need to really drop the hammer on people who afk or leave through these games.

Nekrogen

11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommerzgandalf View Post
Artificially close games are very unsatisfying. Really.
They've fixed rubberbanding, so this should not be a problem anymore.

kokolini

11-09-2011

i play both summoners rift and dominion ive kjinda got bored of dominion because most of the champions dont work on dominion either too squishy or dont deal enough damage also if you would add a cooldown reduction aura on the map that would be AMAZING it makes casters not very reliable in dominion unless your heimer so forth...

Tenebrae Corvus

11-09-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

I do take Dominion seriously, despite my ability; or lack of it. The balance seems all right for the most part. The problem are the rough edges that make some champions stand out too much and others be completely eclipsed. For example, champions that require a lane can, to an extent, be played at bottom. However, most of the time they simply feel weak, in particular at team-fights where their ability in-lane is useless.

Items that need to be farmed like Tear of the Goddess and company are completely unsuitable for a fast paced and short game like Dominion. I think they require substitutes. As was said before by ActionButlerGO, while the items available are good they need to be better customized for the specific gameplay of Dominion.

Dominion is a capture and hold game therefore sustainability is essential. While a shorter recall time is good you still need to walk all your way back and that forces you to be unavailable. This situation gives a certain advantage to naturally sustainable champions. It's all right if some champions are better than others, but as builds can make or break a champion, much can be done for the balance issues by having exclusive Dominion items.

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?

It may be just me, but I feel that tanky, sustainable champions still reign supreme. Champions that can build their offensive power while also building their defenses have an inherent advantage when it comes the time to defend a point and survive a team-fight. Again, items may very well solve the problem. However, sometimes you want to play with and against other types of champions.

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?

Since Dominion was on beta I haven't played anything else. Dominion let's you go faster to the the fun parts of the game: the first thing you usually do in every match is go for a team-fight at the Windmill. It's not as time consuming as Classic and it makes many champions viable that would have been forgotten otherwise. Moreover, the capture and hold mechanic is refreshing and opens many possibilities for new champion roles, builds and the creation of maps with different deployments of points.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?

Even though it isn't my case, there were times I wanted to just throw the computer out the window and then follow behind. Such is the case when you find disconnected and afk players. I am well aware it was mentioned but the frequency with which you find that situation is exasperating.

Moreover, it's very difficult to carry a game of Dominion because you win by controlling space and less people means less space controlled. Therefore, having teammates absent most of the time means that you will lose and there's absolutely nothing you can do. I know that sometimes you can get a blackout out of nowhere and be left out. However, I worry about civilization if all the people that disconnect or afk are related to such an issue.

Joe Dolca

11-09-2011

I play exclusively Dominion, unless my friends insist on playing SR.

Solo queue SR is hell in a basket.

Paul

11-09-2011

Hello Veigar here is a compilation of a couple of my threads on Dominion.

The first is my thoughts on balance the 2nd is a poll on queue times.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1398615&highlight=

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=16506948&highlight=#post16506948

I also have another post here talking about a few select characters.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=16972879&highlight=#post16972879

If it matters I have about 700 or 800 games now. Edit more like 600 I don't lose THAT much even though I random lock every game.

Attero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2011

Quote:
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
I think balance is actually very good on Dominion, with a few areas for SLIGHT improvement. I'd say the biggest balance issue is that comeback mechanics are too strong, not allowing strong early game teams to win without a DRAMATIC advantage, far beyond the reach of a fair matchup, even if one team picks ONLY early game stompers and the other team picks ONLY late game champs.

Quote:
The above really. I always run teams that are intended to stomp early and snowball to victory. The issue is when playing against opponents of equal skill it is impossible to do this even when they are very inferior early game.

Quote:
Aye, me, and a few of my friends. I refuse to play SR because I personally find so much more enjoyment in Dom.

Quote:
-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
Speaking for others here, not myself, so take it as what it is worth:

Some of my friends dislike Dominion because they feel it is unbalanced. Of course myself and my gold badge+ friends know they think this because they are low Elo, and the so the games are very chaotic. I believe the way to enforce more structure to low Elo games and give them more of a 'balanced' feeling would be increasing the strength of the automated map functions.

This means making towers stronger, more useful as defense tools. This also means making creeps stronger, and more influential when sieging towers.

If creeps in SR weren't necessary, do you think low Elo players would even rely on them? Or would they run around aimlessly doing as they please. The same applies to Dominion. If you make something more necessary, it helps force structure when natural instinct is to behave in a less than optimum way.

Of course, that is just my personal opinion and what I would do to fix it.

SuperSobotka

11-09-2011

i understand dominion is supposed to be a more casual mode from SR and you dont want to spend the time or the resources to have a separate balance for SR and dom, but to improve the game quality you really need to touch on some characters who have skills that are just ruining the "fun" aspect of the game

another problem is the rubber band effect is still in the game, for the first 100-150 points, it doesnt really feel like it matters since if your behind you will spawn faster, increasing the chance that you will be able to kill low health enemies (and thus gain a gold advantage on a character who can carry), and if your ahead on points your probably going to have to retreat from a few points and just let them take it since they are spawning faster then you (or your giving them a gold advantage)

finally another problem i see is about 2/5 3/5s in the game one character on the enemy team is landing alot of finishing blows and has a huge gold advantage, and on certain characters they become SUPER carries where they are basically unkillable as long as they play smart, and they can just continue to get more and more fed while your team has to choose between trying to capture points or losing 2 or more allies to take down one of their teamates

OctopusDropkick

11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post
Hi guys, we've been talking internally and throwing some ideas around about how we want to tweak Dominion and I just wanted to drop by to get some of your guys' raw feedback on what you'd like to see!

Some things I'd be particularly interested in hearing about would be:

• Balance on Dominion has a few broken champion stars, but it doesn't become an issue with draft mode. The biggest offender would be Rammus, whose high mobility allows him to be everywhere very quickly. Yorick (on the bottom) and Shaco are also considerably super strong picks on Dominion and should be banned usually.
  • Biggest pet peeve is Dominion's may be the strange stealth revealing sight granted around the map, which last I remember was also directly in the middle of it. It just seems unexplained and unexpected.
  • Yes, since Dominion ha come out I've exclusively played it in contrast to SR. It's a very fun 5 man focused game mode, that's fast and casual on the nerves.

Luvz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2011

i've only played summoner's rift a few times since dominion came out and it was when i queued for it on accident.