I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rangerike1363

11-08-2011

I almost exclusively play dominion now since I don't have the same amount of time to sink into a SR game anymore unless I am playing with friends.

As to the balance of dominion, i feel most champs aren't too crazy and only a few stand out that prove to be problematic if your team comp or teamwork is even slightly off. As to the minions, turret, shrines, and exclusive items, there really isn't and huge issues, though priscilla's blessing may want to be looked at. Otherwise, I feel it's fine.

My biggest pet peeve about dominion is playing an even match, 5v5. Recently, this seems to be a huge issue as I have only played one match where it was 5v5 tonight. I feel leavers should be punished more harshly then in SR or TT because Dominion isn't worth the effort/time to win 4v5 matches and I've heard of players starting matches then staying afk and moving around in spawn to IP farm because the matches are short enough to do this with relative ease, If leavers, afkers, and dcers were more quickly and harshly punished, I would probably only play dominion once a ranked arena was available and outside of ranked premades on SR.

Junks001

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

I'm an exclusive Dominion player now adays. Not because I don't have time for SR, or anything, but more because I enjoy the faster pace of the game. The few times I do go back to SR, I am excruciatingly bored by the slow grind of it.

Dominion has a few fairly obvious balance problems, in my mind. Ninja Capping is sometimes too effective. Certain champions (Rammus for example) will build less than useful builds purely for the ability to ninja cap.
For instance, a Rammus with P.B., Mobo Boots, and 4x zeals is not an effective build, in any way other than that you can straight -never- catch him. Add to that the speed shrines, and you might as well give up on holding any points you aren't watching directly.

Another balance issue is the strength of DPS/Brawlers over the strength of Mages. With the constant fighting that Dominion is designed around, high cooldown casters simply cant compete.

Personally, my biggest pet peeve with Dominion is the above mentioned ninja capping. You can't put any pressure on a defended point without suddenly having the point you just came from neutralized, or at least attacked. It encourages very passive gameplay, which goes against everything the game mode is.

I also have some issues with the amount of leavers you get in the mode, and how badly it effects the game. It's pretty much impossible to win a 4v5, without a very steep skill gap

I have a few ideas on how to improve Dominion:

- A few caster items may be nice.
Nothing with too much AP, as caster damage is fine, but maybe some utility combined with CDR. Take a bit of the edge off the time between CDs that casters have to deal with.

- Perhaps lower the movement speed cap in Dominion.
With a bit of number tweaking, this could make Ninja capping champs still be an attractive choice, but take off some of the sting that you get from a Rammus at full powerball, + speed Shrine, + BoM + 4x zeals.

- Discourage leavers by inciting an extra wait period after leaving a game.
Dominion games are short, and they are even shorter when the numbers aren't even. SR games had fewer leavers, because doing so meant you couldn't re-queue until the game wrapped up. This simply isn't a deterrent with Dominion. Leavers can quit a game when it isn't going well, go make a sandwich, and come back in time for another game.

Overall, Dominion is a very fun game mode. With a few tweaks in the right direction, it could become one of the most entertaining times I've ever spent on any game. Right now, though, it isn't quite there.

SirLucious LftFt

11-08-2011

i really like dominion and have played over 450 games

problems ive seen are the respwn time. somtimes you get very far ahead and ur team starts reviving farther apart and a team just never seems to group up. this is partly a problem with the team not working well enough together but its caused by the spawn timers i feel.

i often see 4-5 caps by a team thats been losing by 100 for a while then the team can farm the exit ways of the winning team until the lead is over.
this is definatly caused in part by a lack of teamwork but the rubberbanding repwns have to cause some of it

its hard to tell if any class like tanky dps or assasin is op imo because team comps usually arent tried to be made from what ive seen. its always good to have 2 ranged carrys from what ive seen which makes me not think tanky dps or assasins are op.

i do think tanky dps are rly good tho because they can stay out a long time and just acomplish objectives, too many makes your team too easy to kite tho because most are pretty linear

Deathnor

11-09-2011

i think balance is pretty good. perfect no but in a fairly decent spot. AP burst casters imo have a lot of problem. not much of a kit for long extended skirmishes which is sometimes what u run into. u burn everything then have to get a kill. 2-3 spells are what u have to work with for for several more skirmishes. as far as a bit over whelming id say champs with huge speed boosts.

would love to see more options at cdr from items to try and get burst mages back into the mix. one big CDR with little else would be awesome. as far the speed boosts thats way more complicated. normaly this type of mode is in games on a 3D map and elevation differences allow for BD but not all out control. would love to see a couple of spots get new terrain which would reduce a champions movement down to base. make it so they can BD or rush to where ever they are needed but not at such insane speeds.

biggest pet peeve. itemization in general. lots of stuff from SR is broken or useless. well that or stealth chars in general. yeah a 6 second mist on a 60 sec cd is horrid.

i dont play a ton at all anymore but proly play mostly dom.

Funshade

11-09-2011

I play pretty much exclusively dom unless my friends are playing SR. The SR game seem way to slow and the fact of the matter is at any point in time you can become useless for rest of the game ie. Being morgana having to fight maps or a lux having to fight a Kat mid. Where you just fall behind and can never come back

as for balance and pet peeve are kinda rolled into one. Even in the longest of games at most I can only build 3 large items or 4 Simi large items. This makes builds that are based in late game fall short even inlays game dom. Crit or tri force/tank builds hard to do. Building crit I can either get 75% crit (building full items) at the last 5 minutes then I can kill well but super squishy. Or I can get 55% (infinity/phantom) and have a little survivability. Regardless its only effective late game and 'effective' is stretching it. Building a 'crit' build only works in like then who can get a natural 35% crit

Bearacolypse

11-09-2011

I've started playing Dominion exclusively and I'm of the crowd that believes Akali, Jax, Rammus, and Shaco are not untenable.

This being said, I think that Poppy's Passive is a might strong; there is literally nothing you can do with a champion like Leblanc. If at full health they are taking half damage and with sheen they are getting 1000 procs from devastating strikes on a 2.4- 4 second cooldown, that is a teensy bit crazy. Disclaimer I understand that the game is not balanced 1v1

I also think that the passive mana regen might be a bit high, I play casters exclusively and I remove all mana regen runes/masteries and still am at full most of the time.
This wouldn't normally be a complaint but I think it actually benefits certain non-caster champions who are supposed to be limited early by mana more IE: Yorick, Skarner, Blitzcrank, Gangplank, Kassadin, Kog'Maw, Poppy, Sion, Talon, Urgot, Wukong. It's at the point where they can literally use abilities on cooldown out of the gate without any sort of item or rune for mana regen
Tank items are cheap in SR because the tanks generally are not able or do not wish to farm, yet in Dominion the tanks get as much gold that means that it is easier to build tankier faster than it is to be damage.

Revive though not being the best summoner ability, on a champion like Maokai or Rammus can force a game into overtime (24-28 minutes, see point #3) until their hypercarries outstat your team.

Overall I think it is really balanced, at least test-ably so, it's obvious that the meta will shift to the counter meta sooner or later and that it's almost impossible to know where it will be in a few months.

NationalKid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2011

Dominion is becoming boring and slower each patch. Eventually Riot will transform a great game mode on a smaller SR.

Mailius

11-09-2011

Balance in Dominion is pretty good overall. There are a few outlying champions, but it's nothing that terrible (even before the gunblade nerfs I felt this way about it). Of particular note Poppy and Rammus are both problems in Dominion for different reasons. Rammus because he wins 1v1 against almost any auto-attacker champion for the entire game (not really worried so much about his mobility), and Poppy because she can easily kill squishy and semi-squishy champions without them having a chance to fight back.

Also, it's very difficult to deal with someone who's a dedicated stealth backdoorer without the use of probably either Rammus or Kassadin. Oracles and the sweeper just don't cut it since it's very easy to avoid enemy champions who don't know where you are. My initial feeling is that this might be handleable by making pink wards available.

Probably my biggest pet peeve is how a couple of heroes simply become untankable by the 15-20 minute mark, no matter what items you have, the battle is over in 5-6 seconds once the first shots are fired. The primary offenders are Vayne and Kog, but Poppy can also be problematic (in Poppy's case it's often over in less than a second or she loses). Part of the damage problem is the armor/magic penetration aura which I felt was arbitrary when I first heard about it, and after playing about 500 games I still feel is arbitrary and not a good part of the map's balance. Also, the healing reduction feels kind of silly as well and keeps a number of already mediocre heroes even weaker (taric, vlad, nidalee...), since you probably implemented it before you nerfed all sustained healing by 50% or more a few patches ago. The best sustain currently comes from being able to hit minions or enemy heroes, and removing the aura (or making it only apply to spellvamp/lifesteal) would keep it that way while also strengthening a number of weak heroes without really affecting any very viable heroes other than Soraka (who isn't OP and wouldn't be after the changes).

I play Dominion exclusively, and I would not be playing League at all after I get DotA2 access without Dominion (and even then I don't know if I will continue to play Dom).

One thing to me that hasn't been talked a lot about, but just seems boring, is everything inside the visibility ring. Basically the entire jungle is boring, with the exception of the shield buffs, which is only okay, considering you have to go out of your way both in travel and channel time to get it. Doing something like maybe adding neutrals or replacing the shield buffs with someone more active, maybe even something worth contesting would add a more dynamic feel to the map.

NationalKid

11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailius View Post
I play Dominion exclusively, and I would not be playing League at all after I get DotA2 access without Dominion (and even then I don't know if I will continue to play Dom).
Totally agree with you.

Kommerzgandalf

11-09-2011

Artificially close games are very unsatisfying. Really.