I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

11-08-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)
I think the balance is pretty good. My most notable offender is poppy who can still stun in the middle of ANYWHERE (known bug). But there's not a hero that's really problematic for me. If i'm supposed to believe the forums nearly ALL heroes are OP in dominion, but they all have their counters, be it in heroes or in ways of playing.

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
Revive timers. Sometimes you die 1 second later as a teammate but you have to wait a whole lot longer. Or you score a double KO vs an enemy only to have him back at windmill when you just revived.

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?I've been maining dominion ever since it came out. But, i've brought the heroes i've started playing back into SR, as the skills i've learned in dominion. It's a VERY good training ground for fighting effectively. Think about learning how to use walls more effectively, or predicting where enemies will walk. Even if they're not the same map, i feel that the amount of learning you do in Dominion is way higher than SR.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out?
From a couple of friends i heard that their biggest complaint is: It isn't Summoners Rift
They all have trouble fighting on CS.

Wyrmnax

11-08-2011

Quote:
-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

It is generally goos, with a few problems

I think in general these are the problems with balance:

- Support characters: Fights now are much more likely to involve 2 to 4 people instead of 5. Most support characters were designed to affect 5 people with their support. If their team has less than that, they support that they are doing is less effective that what they were balanced around.

- Tanks: Unless you are a tanky dps, your impact on dominions is low. If you dont do damage you dont really affect a fight enough to be cared about.

- Healing: If healing was one of your main functions, you got -20% on that. Yeah, you got screwed.

-Vlad, Mordenkaiser, Mundo: These deserve a special mention. Mordenkaiser's abilities and damage shield scaled with how many were hit by it. That usually meant trying to hit a few minions to get that shield up to absorb damage. The lack of minions seriously affects his power to keep his shield up. Mundo is completely based around healing, with a healing passive, a ultimate that heals him and everything costing HP. He got a 20% penalty to all his healing. Vlad is a champion based on hitting minions AND healing himself. His area effects are made to hit the other champions + minions, and the healing he receives from it is balanced assuming he gets more than 1 hit on it.

Quote:
-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
People not understanding that it requires a different mindset than Summoner's Rift. It IS a completely different game.

Quote:
-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
Probably. Not me though.

Quote:
-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?
I like Dominions, but i do have a couple problems with it. Do i count?
- If someone DCs in Dominions, you are screwed. In Summoner's Rift, it might be doable if the DC is very early in the game as you still have acess to all the experience and gold that you would have otherwise, but spread out in 4 characters instead of 5. If you do make a quick game you can use the fact that you have 1 player higher leveled than the enemy, while he has 1 player more than you. If you let time roll, he will catch up and your disvantage will be much bigger.

In Twisted Treeline, if someone DCs its game over. the difference between 3v3 and 3v2 is too brutal.

In Dominion, if someone DCs on your side either you are steamrolling the other team and then it becomes a equilibred, or it is equilibred and you get steamrolled. The fact that fights in there are usually 1~4 vs 1~4 makes loosing 1 murderous. Also, gold is gained passively, so the gold that the DC gains isnt going to the rest of your team like in Summoner's Rift.

skyqula

11-08-2011

I love Dominion, i almost exclusively play it (i sometimes do a quick bot game for the fwotd or 1(!) SR because one of my friends wants 2).

My reason for liking dominion so much is that you dont have this boring farming phase, where there is farm for 4 ppl. Making for this boring meta of 1 top (generally tanky DPS) 1 mid (caster) 2 bot (carry+support) + jungler. It barely deviates. When it does its usually a one sided game. In dominion you dont have this. You dont need annything specific. A good balanced team is still desirable though. But its not like this fixed meta (yet).

Another reason i like dominion is that the snowballing is way way less. If someone just got a triple kill he isnt suddenly some godlike carry. This allows for more balanced games IMO. Where skill is much more important and your gear doesnt "do the talking".

As a result of the previous 2 + the way higher gold per time everyone gets geared. This feels just so much better. It realy removes this need to farm and controll these gold orientated objective like drake and baron. Instead you can focus on the action and ambushing.

Also games are alot less one sided boring stomps or games that you know are over by the 10min mark. And the realy close games are just way more awesome then the close SR games (wich there are less of). I also realy like the 25min games of dominion way more then the 40-60 min games of SR.

As for champions, there are some problematic ones. Mostly: Shaco and poppy. Poppy is just a god, he is kinda bad on SR because he cant farm. But on dominion he doesnt have to farm. Add to that the abundance of walls and yeah... Shaco is just extremely anoying. No one is able to realy catch him, he drops boxes everywhere, severely hurting your ability to take forest routes and his backdoring just never stops. Even if you get him to 20% hp, he just runs for a relic and goes to another point, say bot, where he drops 1 box and throws a dagger and already changed the 1v1 balance into his favor. After wich he just runs to another relic, goes back mid/top dropping some more boxes on his way. I gues i should rephrase that shorter: Shaco, anoying, box zoning, easy escape.

Other champions that might be abit Over The Top are: Yorick (minions auto assaulting champions in range), Teemo (zoning with shrooms, constant backdoor/stealth hiding), Ryze (hard to kill, good damage), Rammus(/blitzcrank) (realy fast, tanky, can brust squishy), Kogmaw/Kayle (magic proc hurts alot) and Kassadin (escape all day). They all have downsides/counters, the just stand out compared to the other champions.

Now for supports/tanks, i find them hard to judge. Just like SR they boost a team. A good team on dominion with a support can be realy powerfull. Ive had a combo of xerath/lux/sona just melt everything with there range while being able to systain realy long with the shield/heal/root/stun they have between them. Also supports like alistar/blitz/leona/amumu are realy powerfull with there CC, but realy require there team mates to do the damage. Soraka is a whole different character on dominion, instead of a heal bot she is know a starcall bot, and it hurts. But like anny other support, she needs her team to be there as she is more of a sustained fighter and not a burster. Because they are so team dependant its realy hard to tell if they need a buff or not. I personally think its fine as it is.

That just leaves 1 point about mages, they seem do do alright. But IMO they could do with another mana item aswell as a movementspeed booster.

My "pet peeve" is probably shaco, just to anoying. He doesnt feel like an assasin, he feels like a zoner/poker/anoyance :S

FairladyZ

11-08-2011

I just feel that the part in Summoner Profile that shows Dominion stats should maybe show total personal score obtained rather than kills/assist (takedowns) seeing how that has been emphasized to be the key to winning (capturing and hold, not mindlessly killing)

Aikimiller

11-08-2011

I play dominion pretty much exclusively. Have tried going back to SR since it came out, but SR is just. so. boring. after playing Dominion.

Balance- Same complaints about Jax/Rammus/Heimer/Poppy/Shaco/Yorick as everyone else. It's because these champs are so game breaking that I exclusively play draft (look at the data from bans- rammus-akali-jax are ALWAYS banned, and for good reason).

AP casters on the other hand, aside from Anivia and Morgana, are a bit underwhelming. No new itemization for them other than the hextech sweeper, which is a situational item, and in general the only viable builds for them are ones that have 40% CDR (and the CDs are STILL too long). They need a few items that are designed for a duelling environment, that involve CDR (maybe an active that removes 5-10 seconds off of cooldowns, with a 90 second cooldown, or something like that?)

AD casters could also use a spellvamp item.

As far as pet peeves go, I've noticed a lot more one sided games since the last patch, where one team just doesn't have a chance. While the rubber banding effect shouldn't be able to shoot you into a winning situation, it did make solo queue a bit less frustrating to know that even if you're stuck with a bad team, you're not wasting your time.

DynoZhen

11-08-2011

Dominion is really fun and intense , I wish we had the opition to change the initial health of the nexus
so the matchs could last longer (something like MIN 500 MAX 2000 )

Sir Jaune Arc Jr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2011

Balance is fair, and more interactive with the many builds/strategies.
Biggest Pet Peeve is seeing people having their mindset of SR and say that Kills > Capture Points
I try to limit my gameplay of SR DOM and TT but like LoL has its ways to keep you entertain and to have fun. Tbh, this gamemode reminds me of CoD domination, overall this is a good step to make LoL a better game.

Phelann

11-08-2011

Going bottom is just extremely unfun compared to the rest. Generally what happens when I decide to play dominion I'll play a few games until I'm stuck going bottom, and it will have been such a boring experience that I log out afterwards.

Denambren

11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrium View Post
Passive XP and Gold gain hurts competitive play.

Reward players for their actions!

Passive XP and Gold gain is one of the reasons Dominion is so popular. You no longer have the single hero per team accumulating all the wealth and early leveling, acting as the single most important factor in whether your team takes the win or not. The days of tanks and support giving up all their gold and kills so that the carry can benefit and outbuy/outlevel their opponent are done thanks to Dominion. If you're the type of player that enjoys being the star in the spotlight, accumulating all the wealth and all the glory, then Summoner's Rift is calling you back to it.

I personally find Dominion to be a hundred times better than Summoner's Rift or Twisted Treeline ever was. I feel that all team members have a chance to shine and contribute at every moment of the game, and the entire match is now more about outsmarting your opponent rather than outfarming your opponent. And imo, the outfarming element of these tower defense games has always been something I've disliked. If I wanted to farm XP I'd be playing an MMO.

Dominion has its issues and is far from perfect - a lot of characters were built around Summoner's Rift and were limited by their inability to farm gold, but the new Dominion mode has completely mixed up champion balance. That is actually OK as far as I'm concerned, since I've always felt Riot has done a mediocre job at balancing champs, so I'm just as satisfied with random balance.

Overall I'm happy with Dominion, and as a previously retired LoL player I've been convinced to come back and play several games per day. It's especially easy to play more games now since the games take far less time to commit to, and you're actually doing something every second instead of just farming XP and gold like a solo RPG and losing precious minutes of your day just leveling your champ per match.

failboattootoot

11-08-2011

Seconding the global gold and experience being one of the best things about the mode. Ensuring a relatively even playfield throughout the game is what makes the mode fun and allows for comebacks. It doesn't make any sense to add another snowball game mode when SR is right there, already being boringly snowbally with most of it's games being obviously over at 15 minutes.