I want your Dominion thoughts and impressions!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miojozord

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion?

The more you play, the more balanced it gets. Dominion can't be balanced like SR, he suffer from a Rock, Paper, Scissor effect, but in a good way. The so called OP champs have some hard-counters, and the hard-counters aren't sure picks because they can be countered easily with most picks that arent "OP", and the so the cycle closes. The next champs releases could be balanced this way.

-What is your biggest pet peeve about Dominion?
Kills do to much points, and theres no "penalty" in dying, so if someone that goes 15/15/5 have a way higher score comparing to someone that goes 6/3/10, and probably didnt did anything to the team.

-Are there any players out there who now play exclusively Dominion?
Yep, fitted way more in my profile than SR.

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

The game rewards backdoor type gameplay and combat is too fast paced and doesn't feel like it has meaning. When in Dominion I feel like I'm playing a fusion of deathmatch and Player vs Environment questing (by running all over the map capturing towers or killing tiny minion waves or collecting upgrades) and I find neither of those things fun or consistent with quality LoL game play.

I would've preferred a capture and hold system more akin to TF2 in that it's a sort of tug of war with only the front lines control points available to be captured, while the ones in the back are locked.

Also Dominion is definitely not balanced relative SR because it's a rare case that you get into a 5v5 team fight. Most fights on Dominion are small scale. As such duelists are the class type that are most successful, and again, that isn't the type of game play LoL was designed to support.

chide da jungler

11-07-2011

I really feel like these questions are hard to address without ranked play. I feel like a lot of dom games are ruined by ppl playing a champ for the 1st time or doing some dumb new build they just made up because the game will be over in 15 minutes.

One thing I have noticed is that champs with built-in flash are Op because they can skip every wall on the map. I would like to see some of these walls thickened so that the map is not one big straight-line for them.

Skreeg

11-07-2011

Balance impressions:
There are basically four perma-banned champs in my elo: Akali, Rammus, Jax, and Shaco. Heim can also be quite strong in a lot of cases (dat rocket damage!). However, I don't feel like any of these champs are uncounterable. Shaco and Eve are pretty un-fun to play against, though. Overall, though, almost anyone can be quite effective on this map.

Pet Peeves:
The personal points given for being a "martyr" are not a good idea. This does not promote good gameplay. Sometimes it is a good idea to defend a point to the death; other times, running away is the optimal play. Instead of "martyr", give a small number of points for every second that you and an enemy are both standing on a point you own. This rewards the delaying tactics that are useful in these scenarios, while providing no reward to those who die nearly instantly on the point.

Dominion exclusivity:
I only play SR when I'm playing with my friends who dislike Dominion; when I do play SR, I prefer jungling or supporting. These roles allow me to skip the absurd stage of milling about while continuously estimating creep damage against my autoattack speed. I much prefer the constant flow of tactical decisions and intense fights provided by Dominion.

Chingmeister

11-07-2011

Balance:
Assassins and tanky dps are generally too strong. Built in flash with walls everywhere is OP.

I think it also has to do with the reduced gold. You never really have enough gold to synergize an IE and have survivability to go with it. I would like to see IE on this map reduced like MBR was.

Peeves:
I think bottom towers need to be further from spawn. This would open up more than 4 top 1 bot strategies, and make bottom lane bloodier (which everyone loves).

There is also sorta a disconnect between bottom and top. I think it has to do with the placement of speed shrines. Bottom needs two different shrines on either side so they can interact with top and aren't laning the entire game while top is having fun. See attached. This would also reduce the OP ness of built in flash as it would generally raise mobility, and lower feelings of hopelessness if top is losing since you could interact with top more.

Edit: The best part about Dom is actually being able to build up champs you would never seen built on SR, like Leona, most tanks, supports, etc.

Nekrogen

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!):

As a fairly experienced dominion player (around 600 games played, and 30 minute queues), I can say that dominion is fairly balanced up here. However, the lower tiers suffer from some imbalances due to inexperience, which may or may not be appropriate for the health of mode overall. And by "imbalances" I mean some of the problematic champions already mentioned in this thread (Rammus, Akali, Yorick, Shaco, etc.).There are some champions who have an easier time than others, but it really just comes down to player skill in the end.

Wait times. Just the combination of queue wait, plus possible draft wait plus loading wait (which isn't so bad compared to SR) plus 1:20 wait is kinda annoying. Also, leavers make it almost literally impossible to win, even if your team has better players; the extra body on the field goes a long way.

I played Dominion exclusively until I literally could not queue due to 30-40 minute queue times (sometimes an hour). I would play dominion exclusively if there was a) ranked, b) shorter queue times (with the same skilled players). I love the challenge of skilled players bottom lane and enjoy the thrill of beating them and helping out my team at top.

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out? Fixable (wink wink) reasons?

Can't say I fit here.

-Extra thoughts:

What I would like to see is some extra benefits to players who let minions capture a point while they aren't channeling (because let's face it, they probably created the minion wave), especially with a promoted minion. As a bottom lane pioneer and enthusiast, I would love to see some love (points or buff wise) to those who do go above and beyond just "farming bottom lane", because honestly it's those players who win games.
Overall Dominion is an extremely enjoyable game mode, and I hope these tiny points assist you in some way .

Also, I can't wait until ranked comes out. I will see you all there hehehe.

Phourc

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondragan View Post
BUT THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE...
I loved that game, +1. ^^

Anyway, Dom-only player here, I've been giving my friends **** for playing the "wrong" map still, and I don't think I've had a good SR game since Dominion launched... Hearing people rage in skype for one missed last hit cinched it for me.

Champion Balance: It's fairly good overall, the worst champions IMO are the super-ranged poke you from fog of war with no way of retaliation (thinking global ults/light binding/nidalee spear/Ezreal's existence/Kog'Maw's everything ever) but I know that being punishing to close with is all the defense certain characters have... I have no suggestions for improving it.

One change that SHOULD be made is attacks that don't require the champion to be there should no longer interrupt captures, aka Turrets, Traps, Jack in the Boxes, Cupcake Bear Traps, etc. 90% of the pain of fighting Heimer is you CAN"T just ignore him even if he's off the tower as long as he's dropping turrets, because each one is a permanent interrupt until you let up on him long enough to kill it. Heimer could probably use a change, as the whole character is kind of just really annoying, but blocking traps from preventing captures would make him and Shaco no longer S tier defenders.

And Jax? He's a bursty noob trap that relies on being autoattacked to win, I think that's more a flaw of character design that game mode. I'd trade his bull**** passive for an early game that's fun any day.

Item Balance: I think this is the huge one where some love is needed, mana/mana regen is hard to get the exact amount you want (as a couple minutes later you suddenly level your MP5 to the point where you don't care anymore) and spending gold on it can feel really wasteful.

Likewise, casters really need CDR since they can no longer hide behind their creep waves and towers waiting for their spells to come back. More CDR options would be cool, or giving the sweeper a bit more AP (you could even increase the cost a bit, just no increased AP from completing the item feels awful, I'm sorry), or even the suggestion I saw a few pages back where you put a bit of CDR on the crystal scar aura.

Deathcap and IE are no longer rush first items, in fact even most carries skip them due to their fairly high cost and their main benefit being increased scaling from future items. This one I'm actually okay with, but maybe 'big' items that are less other-item dependant could show up someday.

Offense/Defense items are SUPER SUPER good (seen all the wit's end's lately?), and we all miss wriggles terribly. Hexdrinker finally feels good to build, but there's definitely some options lacking. A good AD/armor item would go a long way, as would a smaller AD/lifesteal item.

AD casters are really hurting for good items here, I *know* a BFF sword is stuck in the pipes somewhere, it would be neat to see it make an appearance. Alternatively, sanguine blade could stack on casts or we could get a wriggles replacement for a weaker AD item but with stats that are all AD caster-friendly.

Pet Peeve: Those quests. One: I think they should give a bit of gold for finishing them. It would help you get some gold to the team that plays better. Two: they need to either detect if the points up for the reward are in the process of being lost, and place the quest elsewhere or, and I personally like this one better, give both teams a 5-10 second warning before the quests become active, so that players can make informed, strategic plays around it.

Wouldn't it be neat to know which points were about to be up for a 200 gold 20 point bonus? I think that could lead to a LOT more strategy than trying to guess who when and how the system's going to screw someone.

Wave respawns. I like the idea, but I can almost guarantee that the high level meta that will evolve in dominion will be based off of 'gaming' this system. I haven't messed with it very extensively but knowing that with a dead teammate watching the numbers in skype you could easily figure out when to suicide dive to come back in two-thirds the time, or if waiting two seconds to finish an enemy will double the time they spend dead. Again I have no solutions for this, just pointing out a problem I see incoming, I hope you're ready for it.

Aaaanyway, thanks for reading and sorry for contributing to the wall of text. xP

Seņor Pancho

11-07-2011

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion?
mostly fine. just like the rest, champions who used to require intense farming (SR) in order to wreck are annoying. you already know who they are.

either "not enough players play it" or "ryze"

many, many of us. pretty much 8/10 players I check after a game have only dominion games in their history. it's a small community man

-Thoughts from players who tried Dominion and feel like it just isn't their cup of tea. Are there any particular reasons that stand out?
N/A

Hikaru Genji

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeigarTheHorrible View Post

-What are your impressions of the balance on Dominion? (If you're a serious player that's gearing up for competitive Dominion, I especially want to hear from you!)

Balance is good. That champs weak in SR are strong in Dom and vice versa is Dom's strongest selling point.

Supports are underrepresented because of the fast gameplay, smaller team fights, and healing nerfs. Maybe incentivize by reducing heal nerf. Pushing heals makes team fights more likely, but not enough to make it 5-man pushes, because of the nature of the map.

Stealth isn't an issue. It's the line of sights in mid that are issues. Stealth or no, you can run ~three seconds and be out of sight of anyone on the map. Trim those hedges a bit.

Biggest peeve is backdooring. The items and speed buffs support this, but it's actually a detriment for any team that has someone focused on back capping. The back capper wastes money on move speed and cap speed, so loses one 1v1 and in team fights. The map leaves it as an option, but don't incentivize actually detrimental play styles.

Xavderion

11-07-2011

1. Seems pretty balanced to me, especially in draft mode you can simply ban or counter-pick the "op" champs like Jax etc.
Also almost every champ has his role on Dominion so none of them is really useless (even though Morde and Vlad still seem very weak to me).
2. Priscilla's Blessing. It encourages stupid play because either your opponent is very stupid and you can run around and backdoor all day (which causes a lot of frustration to the opponent) or your opponent knows how to play and the backdoor-capper is running around being useless all game (which causes a lot of frustration to you).
3. I play Dominion 95% of the time (but on EU).