Wit's End/ Malady

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hyasbawlztilaidy

11-06-2011

This is late, but I have just noticed this when trying to think of builds for champs. Ever since the Wit's End nerf, there is no real difference from the item Malady. Yes one is more offensive and one is more defensive, but Wit's End is 200 gold more expensive

Wit's End (2000g)- +40% Attack Speed +30 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks deal 42 bonus magic damage. UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks increase your Magic Resist by 5 for 5 seconds (effect stacks up to 4 times).

Malady (1825g)- +25 Ability Power +50% Attack Speed UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks deal 20 bonus magic damage and reduce the target's Magic Resist by 6 for 8 seconds (effect stacks up to 4 times).

Now people might say that Malady is just more offensively geared because it gives ap more attk speed and mr shred, but in all honestly it doesn't look very different from Wit's End. Before the nerf Wit's End was totally unique because of the mana burn, but now it looks just like a defensive copy. I was just wondering how you guys felt about this, which one you guys think is a better choice, or what changes could be made to make them more diverse. Please give me some feedback, cheers.

Dragonsafe

11-06-2011

Look at it this way, Wits end requires your opponent to deal 50% more magic damage to you than before to kill you, while a malady requires you to deal 24% less magic damage to them.

Reason is that 1 point in MR increases the amount of damage necessary by 1%.

JayceJa

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsafe View Post
Look at it this way, Wits end requires your opponent to deal 50% more magic damage to you than before to kill you, while a malady requires you to deal 24% less magic damage to them.

Reason is that 1 point in MR increases the amount of damage necessary by 1%.
only relative to having no MR though
so its actually they have to deal 50% more of your numerical hp value, and you have to deal 24% less of their numerical hp value, big difference to the way you said it

in general, i dislike how similar they are, in almost every case wits end is vastly superior, as most on hit builds dont best utilize the AP, so you trade a measly MR shred for double the on hit damage and 50 magic resistance

Dragonsafe

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
only relative to having no MR though
so its actually they have to deal 50% more of your numerical hp value, and you have to deal 24% less of their numerical hp value, big difference to the way you said it
I think we are saying the same thing... If you have 1k hp and 30mr you would have to take 1300 magic damage in order to kill you. If your opponent hits you with a malady 4 times and then you have 1k hp and 6mr thus requiring 1060 magic damage to kill you.

If you have a wits end stacked up you would have 1k hp and 80mr thus needing 1800 magic damage to kill you.
Clearly wits end seems like the better of the two items especially seeing as it deals double the on hit damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
in general, i dislike how similar they are, in almost every case wits end is vastly superior, as most on hit builds dont best utilize the AP, so you trade a measly MR shred for double the on hit damage and 50 magic resistance
I agree, the only champs who really shine with malady are teemo and kog and then they can build a BR for even more on hit madness.

Hyasbawlztilaidy

11-06-2011

I noticed this when trying to build for Shyv, which one do you think would work best for her on-hit wise?

Dragonsafe

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyasbawlztilaidy View Post
I noticed this when trying to build for Shyv, which one do you think would work best for her on-hit wise?
Wits end hands down.

Darshka

11-06-2011

MR doesn't scale linearly. It scales in a quadratic with an asymptote.
That being said, something you have to remember when building malady is that most champions on your team do some magic damage somehow. You're not only buffing your own dps but also the dps of your team.
Also, magic pen is worth more than magic damage effect in terms of damage dealt, because of the way magic resistance scales. Particularly if you're also using Madred's Bloodrazor or playing a character such as Teemo or Kog'maw.

JayceJa

11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsafe View Post
I think we are saying the same thing... If you have 1k hp and 30mr you would have to take 1300 magic damage in order to kill you. If your opponent hits you with a malady 4 times and then you have 1k hp and 6mr thus requiring 1060 magic damage to kill you.
you said "a malady requires you to deal 24% less magic damage to them."

the difference between 1300 and 1060 isnt 24% of the damage dealt, its 18.4%
if someone has 100 MR and 1000 health, then reducing their MR by 24 reduces the damage they need to deal by 240 to 1760, which is only 12% less damage than they needed before
theres a big difference between 24% of base health and 24% of damage dealt

@Darshka
with a bloodrazer and a malady against someone with 50 MR and 2500 health you deal 80 damage on the first hit, 83.33 damage on the second hit, 86.95 on the third hit, 90.90 on the fourth hit, and 95.23 on the fifth hit and every hit afterwards
with a wits end and a bloodrazer against the same enemy, you deal 94.67 damage per hit
malady doesnt hit higher until the fifth hit, and only by .56 points of damage
malady is only worth it over wits end on champions with their own strong magic damage nukes like kog who are also against enemies with low MR, and even then that doesnt take into account the 50 MR wits end gives you, the longer you survive the more damage you deal, the less gold/xp you give the opponents, the easier it is to win

on a team with many magic users, it can buff their damage, but in that case, you should NOT be running a magic damage on hit build, but rather a regular AD build, which will cause them to either build armor, giving up more MR than they would have lost via a malady, or you'll hit them against a defense they are not building doing a tonne of damage

also, MR most certainly DOES scale linearly, it just doesnt scale in reference to damage reduction
each point of MR gives you 1% of your numerical or base health. 100 MR is a 100% increase, doubling your health, 200 MR is 200%, tripling your health, it scales just as linearly as damage or health, so long as your health stays the same, each point of MR or armor gives the exact same amount of extra health as the point before it

Mystletaynn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

At 100 Armor or MR you have 50% reduction, or 1/2.
At 150 Armor or MR you have 66% reduction, or 2/3.
At 200 Armor or MR you have 75% reduction, or 3/4.
At 250 Armor or MR you have 80% reduction, or 4/5.
At 300 Armor or MR you have 83% reduction, or 5/6.
See a pattern? It's not linear.