Riot's goal of aggressive gameplay & the direction of LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MinlinTheMinion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

"...to better suit the more aggressive gameplay that we want to promote in the new competitive season."

Riot's stated goal has been to encourage more active and exciting gameplay than that of older RTS/DotA type games. And they did that with LoL, but they still say that they want it to be more aggressive. I'm not saying that this is a bad goal.

Summoner's Rift has developed its own identity with flexibility for change between games. Twisted Treeline and Dominion are different maps with completely different metagames and their own fanbase. One of the big things that makes SR so addicting and fun is it's strategy element. Strategy is important on the other maps, but not nearly as integral.

So my point/question is if Riot is trying to make the game more aggressive, don't they risk completely changing the existing game to achieve their goal? While all change is not bad, I don't want to see SR changed too much. New maps are an amazing idea and I would LOVE to have more new maps because they provide the much appreciated change to gameplay to prevent monotony, but not at the expense of our beloved SR. Things like new map skins on rotation (i.e. Winter or Fall themes to the next level) would spice it up without altering mechanics.

So should Riot try to increase the pace of gameplay on SR or focus instead on new map, item, and champion development?

Lutzj

11-05-2011

Tower dives are more exciting than tower camping whether they succeed or not. I won't miss Fortify much.

MinlinTheMinion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2011

Yeah, Fortify definitely just took away the reward from the risk of a turret dive to grab a kill and then damage the turret. It wasn't as pointless as Rally, but it's the right decision to ditch it

Pyrite Illusion

11-06-2011

I agree that the meta doesn't need to be changed on SR but rather new maps that offered different style of play would be better.

MinlinTheMinion

11-08-2011

el bump

lithanium

11-08-2011

Now some people are gonna be sad because they cant get that 9 xtra dmg against minions for early game XD

AlexDnD

11-09-2011

SR is fine as is. After playing dominion and it's so called exciting gameplay I hope riot never changes anything else in SR.

NakedGranny

11-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDnD View Post
SR is fine as is. After playing dominion and it's so called exciting gameplay I hope riot never changes anything else in SR.
this.

Dominion is an exercise in frustration and misanthropy. what an abomination.

Sizmic

11-09-2011

For the record I like Dominion and what it has to offer. Its a different game mode with different skill sets.

That said and back on topic. I think that Riot isn't planning on making any changes to the meta or any physical map changes to SR. They said they want to promote more aggressive play yes but they did not say they wanted to change the map. I feel the change of summoner spells will do just that by eliminating the fortify spell you're more willing to go after that tower. Also by adding the promote spell you have the aid of a promoted cannon minion to help you push the tower. With that you're being more aggressive to push the tower while the other team is rushing back to defend it more often.

They also are going to nerf flash so it has a longer cool down and a shorter range. Well with this bit if you are in a tight fight that could go either way your less likely to run from it as your either wont' have flash or it would get you far enough away to escape. Thus you will fight that tight / close battle and try to win.

SirChuckNorris

11-11-2011

So the problem here is this: What about the people who started to play this game because they like how it was. New characters are AD Assassins out the yin yang. New tanks or supports? Not likely.

Flash is the skill that MOST ruins people dying for their bad play. That is slightly altered, but the skill fortify that isn't even used 90% of the time has to be done away with? Where have I ever seen someone go, that game woulda been over at 25 minutes if Rammus didn't have fortify!!!!

Miss it or not, the game just fundamentally changed. They ganked the Hextech Gunblade by removing offense... well there's a mixed bag....

I feel that the last 3 weeks of changes are full of rash moves to start some season that I don't even want to take part in anymore. If I just wanted to play an all offense game, we just got Dominon for that. But now EVERY game mode needs to be ALL ACTION!
How about removing a minion from the wave, or boost all movespeed 10% of add the dumb xp rates of Dominion. The game mode sucks because it isn't quality. Xin's and Shaco's and Akali's are going to destroy because the game supports only one real defender and that is Heimer.

Actually I just called it, Heimer's turrets too defensive in nature, removed and he is now changed to AD ASSASSIN! wooo hooo!

Basically I just got a bad taste from all this tinkering. We got a stupid Tribunal to do Riot's job for them, yet on matters that truly change the game, we are largely posting to a brick wall with little feedback. Preak and Taco's quotes were weak as hell. Some lame cry about invulnerable is OP like Tryn and people all hate Tryn.

Just full of bad moves. Maybe the 15 year olds think they like it, but the turrets are in the lanes for a reason - defense. Want all offense, just remove a turret. Shorter games and more room for the gankfest.

Disagree if you want, but I rambled off 10 things that are just as plausible as the need to trash a skill that isn't doing any harm.