Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A platinum players guide to dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YetiPrincessx3

11-03-2011

I've played probably 70 dominion games, not a whole lot, but I feel like I have a pretty strong understanding of the map. I also feel like I can play the map in a competitive setting (i've played a few matches for RFLX at the nesl events. #1 IRELIAAAAA).

Sommonomer spells as described by the 1%, Camran:

Quote:
Camran:
The summoner skills on dominion

Exhaust - Probably the best summoner on dominion, win all fights all the time
Ghost - Pretty bad, popping ghost to run to a fight means you were in a bad spot to begin with l2p.
Heal - Better than ghost still not very good
Promote - Good for bottom laner/pusher man
Revive- Once every 7 minutes you get to capture whatever point you want for free. That means the windmill. Once you have the windmill, the game is pretty much in your favor.
IN ADDITION you get 400 health for free. FOUR. HUNDRED. HEALTH. Seriously, that is a really big deal, especially when everyone is level 5. After you capture the windmill (thanks to revive) no one can take it from you, even 3v4
Smite - Take Promote instead
Cleanse - Situational, might b ok
Garrison - Always have one of these, giving yourself the ability to effectively tower dive is real good
Clarity - lol
Ignite - Exhaust is better on almost every character
Rally - YEAH
Clairvoyance - Sauron eye give u big vision
Flash - Not very useful, better than ghost though.

Summary

Exhaust, Garrison, Revive are for those looking to slam

Other summoners are for those who are condemned to jam

"If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest" -Charles BarkYi

Champions:
Outside of the really stupid/annoying heroes (shaco/rammus), the best heroes that i've seen have been such, ordered by how awesome I think they are:

Fighters: (Windmill)
Irelia, AD Alistar, Pantheon, Nocturne, AP Sion, Jax, Udyr, Blitzkonk, Xin Zhao, Twisted Fate, Akali

Bottom:
Soraka, Heimerdinger, Yorick, Karthus (I can't believe I forgot him Initially), Ryze is also a super cool d00d.

Niche Roles:
Rammus, Shaco, Eve

Starting Items
Prospector Items: all of these are solid starting items, but only build them if your champion doesnt need to rush a specific item.

Sheen: YOU CAN START ON SHEEN. SERIOUSLY. WTF. THIS DOES SO MUCH DAMAGE. But seriously, on specific heroes, you can just blow people out with a first item sheen.
Good heroes for sheen are heroes that have an ability to proc AND apply it. My favorite sheen heroes are Irelia, Ezreal, and Gangplank. There are lots of other good ones as well. Sheen isn't exactly a super long term dps Item, but it adds a lot more burst to a few heroes. Alistar is another really strong sheen hero, but mostly because his base is super high. Still, the big two are Irelia/Ezreal.

2x Longsword + boots
Really good on heroes like Xin Zhao. Or any hero that wants a fast brutalizer. Brutalizer is really good on the heroes that scale well with Armor Penetration and CDR. Ezreal, XZ, Actually most bruisers do pretty well for it. But sometimes the defensive stats are way better.

Move Really Fast Boots (boots of mobility):
Only start on these if you can capture the windmill before the other team shows up. Otherwise, start on something more useful. Remember, your items should be there to help you fight at level 1.

Windmill Fight:

Clearly the most important point, as it's the hardest to re-capture, the first fight determines the tempo for the game. Team comp here is really important. MAKE SURE EVERY HERO GOING TOP HAS ATLEAST 1 STUN. Locking down your opponent is huge, also make sure you have a reasonable engage/poke. Do not just charge in, make sure it is coordinated, and do not get kited. If you have Revive. Don't ****ing run away. Fight them. Come back, finish the job.

WAIT FOR YOUR 4TH MAN. If he is capturing hte point on the way, wait for him to show up, don't be stupid.

After you have the Windmill:

Hang out in the jungle, try to force them to fight you on your turrets. Make sure you hold the windmill at all costs. Push the wave out ONLY IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE SAFE. Getting picked off and garrison are the only way the opposition can take the windmill from you. Do not let that happen.

Buffs:

The relic is REALLY REALLY GOOD. Put it on your initiator, let him run at peoples faces. If they are good at jumping in and out of fights, you can usually get the shield charge multiple times. Doesn't always work that way, but if you pull the strings right you can.

Quests:
Quests are almost always worth the push, please do not give up the windmill for one of these quests though. If you can't get it, don't make a push. The defend a point quests are almost always easier to obtain, so try and go for those ones.

Bottom Lane

WARNING GIANT OPINION DO NOT JUDGE ME D:
Bottom is really boring and dumb, and is for people who like turtling and sometimes using global abilities. Soraka is the best bottom hero I have seen so far, but many others are also good. If you have a very mobile bottom lane, do not be afraid to run to the windmill immediately after you capture the first point (having revive helps, as you can die, revive, go back to your point). Do not do this if you are like, heimerdinger, or you didnt start on boots. Generally bottom you just want to create enough pressure to force the opposing team to leave the windmill. That's about it. Really boring and dry

Bottom is actually super important. It allows the windmill to matter. By controlling bottom and keeping it pushed you can attempt to be more involved in jungle fights, and occasionally windmill fights. Generally the high sustaining champions are strong here. I'm not an expert on bottom, and by no means do I attempt to play bottom. But I do see the importance.

Other General Tips
If you are low and there isn't any immediate pressure, recall immediately. the recall time is very fast, and you can get back to lane before they make a move. Hanging out with 50% hp will end up with you losing points. The map rarely punishes you for recalling, so do not be afraid to use it.

If you do not know where to go, and you dont want to stand at the windmill, be in the forest. The forest makes it easiest to react to anything the enemy does. Also, if you are not really moving, stand in brush, getting caught is very very bad.

CrypticCommand

11-03-2011

The more I know.

Camran

11-03-2011

The more I know.

Wulfestopheles

11-03-2011

Downvoting for general arrogance of the introduction. tl;dr the rest

YetiPrincessx3

11-03-2011

Quote:
Wulfestopheles:

Thanks for your constructive post.

Camran

11-03-2011

Quote:
Wulfestopheles:

Downvoted for no badge

hunterofstuff

11-03-2011

All true in my experience, also over 50 games.

KiteHellScream

11-03-2011

Good guide. I don't really play Dominion, but a friend of mine dominates at it. Maybe I'll follow his steps.

Osensei

11-03-2011

The more i know

RealWolf M

11-03-2011

akali and tf, yet no mention of ryze.

You sir, are bad