Playing to be Evil: Its Good to be Bad! [3.0] New and vastly improved!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cazoofoo

11-14-2009

dude you docotred your resaults?!?! im pretty sure thats illegal and your a bit of a dick...

HatPanky

11-14-2009

You should add blitzcrank to the champion list. he requires a lot of concentration to play against since his opponents are trying to avoid his hook/powerfist combo, and that often makes defensive players stop farming, so players against blitzcrank become the "lane *****" early on. i remember being very frustrated when blitzcrank constantly lands his hook on some oblivious ally, in my lane or another, and feeding that lane.

I also think that blitzcrank fits best under the "offensive tight" play style, and is a good roaming ganker thanks to his speed boost ability. let me know what you think. great guide, btw, i learned some good stuff.

Miyamiya

11-14-2009

This guide is correct in most of the psychological aspects, except I feel that you fall short with your archetypes.

You confuse "aggressive" with "applying pressure". All good players want to keep up the pressure, force the enemy to react, and eventually force them to lose.

A player who is too afraid to apply pressure is not defensive, they are simply bad.

---

Playing defensively is trying to slow down tempo of the game until you have the advantage. Force the enemy to fall behind, and then die as they get more desperate to make up lost gold/xp/map control. Punish them for each risk they take, and give them no free kills in return.

As Katarina, I will often aggressively use my abilities to chip away at an enemies health, but the goal is not to engage them directly as an "aggressive player" might do. Keeping them at low health just limits their actions, giving me map control. If they happen to be dumb enough to stick around, a free kill as well.

I choose heal/flash as my summoner abilities, not to escape from my mistakes, but to allow me to push and harass further. Defensive Masteries make it harder for them to push me back, and impossible to gank.

Desperation from an enemy that can't kill me, even as I steal his side's golem buffs leads to more sloppy play than trash talk ever will.

---

As for the poker interpretation, every game is different. I played Magic the gathering competitively and there is plenty of room in that game for defensive control-oriented strategies, and these are often the most psychologically damaging.

smoockn

11-15-2009

Great guide, I would love to play with you sometime.

You should add baiting+exhaust, very easy in the early game if you have and the enemy low hp as the tower destroys your foe in seconds.

I R Orc Peon

11-15-2009

was playing a game the other day after reading this guide and I have to say after a rotten start, where I was made first blood and my lane partner (who was still attempting to talk his way into a solo mid lane) went and got killed before I could return to help him out, we continued to do fairly poorly.

But at one point I was defending the tower in my lane ( alone again) and I managed to send one of them off with very few hp and a little later I managed to get the other killed by the tower just after he killed me.

That resusted in some smack talk from him about how he could beat me and I needed a tower to help. Since I got some new items for the cash I got for killing him I replied that I would be happy to put that to the test. (I was thinking I could take him on or at least that I would be able to kill him at my tower again without dying)

But as it happens I went to help gank in another lane beating 3 other heores after I revived, while he was looking for me in my lane.

I then said: Sorry, I found something better to do.

Game went alot better for us for the next 15 mins before we were finally beaten by better smack talk and better skills :P

turkturkturk

11-20-2009

And suppose you fit into either agressive or defensive depending on the scenario you're placed in. Is that not the best way to be? In a strong lane, be agressive, in a weak lane, be defensive.

In my opinion there's basically three phases to any competitive game. Stop, Wait and Go. Knowing when each phase arrives and when the phase changes and how to respond to it is crucial to playing well.

DaPaddy

11-23-2009

This is really my first post...and i only bothered with doing so cause i really had to say that this is the most awesome guide on an online multiplayer game that ive read so far.

Loved the psychological stuff like motivation and how to **** with your enemies.
Ive been a dota player for some years and thought i had gathered quite a bit of knowledge but im sure this stuff written here will help me improve my game in ways i didnt think of before.

great job...especially the way you wrote it

superb

Exirrel

11-23-2009

Ok, I am only on page 6 of this but I have to sincerely thank you for creating this. A TON of the players I've played with have all been in this negative mindset...oh we lost a turret! game over, give up. SO sick of it. I've done some AMAZING comebacks, and it's all a matter of buckling down, getting serious and believing that you can do it.

Great life advice here, not just for this stupid game.

Also funny.

Thanks.

Al da Bok

11-25-2009

Very good guide, with some very interesting insights. Thanks a lot!

If I may say, I think you should reverse the colours. Ok, it really looks cool written in white, black background, and that little evil red border, but for a 30-pages text, it is REALLY heavy on the eyes. I found myself tempted to stop reading because of that.

Apart from that, it's really nice. Just for the stats, I'm Defensive-Tight !

Karolan

11-25-2009

3.0 was inevitable, and i've breached the shackles of forum posts and embraced to warm bosom of PDF! Its long as a mother ****er but delightfully dubious so enjoy kids!

You stated exactly where to stick this guide, what it creates, and who can profit those guidelines . For your info, when you are good you do not need this, when you are not this won't turn the tide versus someone good and (even remotely) clever .