Playing to be Evil: Its Good to be Bad! [3.0] New and vastly improved!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHeretic

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voices View Post
I agree with your judgment about the usefulness of profiling. I confess that I started to think more critically about it because I work in a lab that administers the Iowa Gambling Task (a psychological test that reliably and somewhat accurately measures decision making). It occurred to me that someone had already simplified the concept of decision making, reducing it to whether a person can learn right decision from wrong decision, and I applied this concept to learning in this game.

As I have discovered, much of what a player decides depends on their understanding of risk vs. reward in their game, and it usually takes many trials for a player to stop perseverating (making mistakes). It may be true that people look at certain situations through the mindset of aggressive/defensive and tight/loose, but in the end I think a good player is smart enough to realize that there is no rigidity to playing style: In certain situations it is simply better to fight the urge and be more of what you are not. In other words, a mindset may be helpful for making decisions in the early game, and it may be helpful for the people that read this guide, but in the end much of it can more efficiently be understood through risk vs. reward analysis in a situation and shaping. Either way, the same player will probably not make the decision twice in a certain given situation due to a natural variability in behavior.
As soon as you open the door to good players having different styles they simply can't be defined though. If you were going to put types of players into 4 archetypes you could have one being an "adaptable" player (which there surely are) but identifying that person in a single game would be difficult, making the designation irrelevant. The point of the section is to be able to make a snap judgement about a player and gain insight into how they will play and react.

If you have a suggestion as to how you would break it down i'm all ears, but simplicity and ease of understanding are pretty important. Doing psych breakdowns of players may be interesting but probably irrelevant in the long term. I simply stand by my model because it illustrates the 4 types of players I commonly see in the laning phase. Players that are defensive tight may later become aggressive tight (in fact it probably happens all the time) but the insight is only game per game and hardly all encompassing. Its just "how is said person playing right now".

Tentakoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
3.0 was inevitable, and i've breached the shackles of forum posts and embraced to warm bosom of PDF! Its long as a mother ****er but delightfully dubious so enjoy kids!

I read your intro and I wonder if you can tell me how you doctored your transcript did you choose to print out major only GPA/upper div only GPA or something like that? I totally love how you did it, my GPA stinks as well haha and I think I still deserve a job as much as another applicant with 4.0 (unless its engineering/biochem that kind of stuff), it just all comes down to how you get things done and not what you scored in your college classroom.

TheHeretic

10-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentakoo View Post
I read your intro and I wonder if you can tell me how you doctored your transcript did you choose to print out major only GPA/upper div only GPA or something like that? I totally love how you did it, my GPA stinks as well haha and I think I still deserve a job as much as another applicant with 4.0 (unless its engineering/biochem that kind of stuff), it just all comes down to how you get things done and not what you scored in your college classroom.
It might be different in your country, I live in Australia.

Transcripts are sent in PDF format to be printed by the student, they aren't considered official University documents as they can be altered. Essentially I went in and changed my grades for subjects, giving myself a new GPA. A fail is worth 0, a pass 1, a credit 2, distinction 3 and high distinction 4. Add up the total for all subjects and divide by the number of subjects to generate a new GPA

Most institutions don't take GPA too seriously, however 3.0 is the line at which people will outright reject your application if they have to make big cuts for the interview process. Giving yourself a 3.3 is more believable than a 4.0 so don't get greedy!

In the US some companies fact check through databases but I doubt many would. Get a PDF editor and the fun begins! Over 80% of Resumes are artificial in content so not BS'ing is a great way to get screwed by someone like me!

Have fun!

Paivan

10-11-2009

First of all, great guide, before I only did a fraction of what you say, but if I keep everything in mind it makes the game funner, and makes me a little better I hope.

I play a similar aggressive style when I play Dr. Mundo, he's underated in my opinion, have you tried using him yet?

I kept the "mindgames" in mind and just now three heroes were attacking a frontline tower and instead of staying near it I charged them all with my massive HP (even though I was at about 60%) that I managed to farm up very easily. Popping my ult I tanked everything they had and almost killed a couple of them, it ended with their fiddlesticks trying to ult me and failing miserably since the tower made him back off. I ended the fight with about 40% left and they all retreated, no damage done to tower.

Since I gave the fiddlesticks a couple of discouraging deaths already I decided to mock them a bit by saying "Pro" as he waddled away. Afterwards the team went 5 to 0 on a surrender count at about 20min, easy victory.

Reb46

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2009

TheHeretic, congratulation on writing such a wonderful, inspiring guide, I'll just avoid you now o.o

Devour

10-14-2009

That has to be the most entertaining thing I have read in a long time. Great Work!

goldemerald

10-15-2009

Defensive Tight
By harbouring items and experience under the radar you might not know they exist until it's too late. Least likely to die of all archetypes, as they take the fewest risks. Less concerned with short term kills and more concerned with long term gains. Tend to be uncooperative and are nicknamed "farmers" by the community, though the undoubtedly change games in their favour.

i lol'd when i read the first line because i play eve and do a lot of mid-level jungling

"Of course this isn't a guide on getting girls... yet."
DAMMIT thats what i actually need

Quarlow

10-17-2009

Some of the guide is nice and insightful, other pieces of advice here only serve in making the player seem like part of the cancer a good number of people opted for LoL over DotA/HoN in order to avoid.

All in all, not bad.

Durazan

11-01-2009

Well, I'm gonna start with saying that you are an evil bastard. On the other hand, I approve greatly. Think about selling your writing, the quality was superb.

The backstabbing of designated teammates is a bit beyond the line, no? Enemies have no rights, allies deserve basic respect, or at least the illusion of respect.

OctopusDropkick

11-01-2009

you could try removing some of the terrible language, its kind of eye rolling. i mean, '*****' and '*****' and whatever. it kind of reads like it was written by a business major.