Playing to be Evil: Its Good to be Bad! [3.0] New and vastly improved!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voices

10-04-2009

I really like this guide, I thought some of the tips were helpful. Your way of filtering the game through the perspective of a poker player is also interesting.

However, I do have a question about how the new elo system affects this guide. For example, the first day after the new patch I lost 7 games straight simply to better teams of players, whereas before all of the strategies that I learned from this guide were effective. It seems that no matter how hard you try, if you aren't good enough you'll end up being pushed into the 50/50 wins/losses group by the way the new system works (this is keeping in mind that the guide is supposed to help players win games).

I also think a lot of people will dispute with the player profiling section which could be condensed into a section that analyzes risk vs. reward. Also I think people will tend to see the categories as strict personality characteristics rather than changing aspects of a player. As you imply later, better players are more likely to be resistant to mind games, make less mistakes, and in general be more helpful regardless of what their profile is. I think this comes more from learning to play the game than sticking to a particular category of playing. Maybe add in a section that talks about becoming better player than a simple profile can predict?

Wisers

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
I can't even discern what the argument is about!
I am having a hard time understanding as well, Mr Tibbers is superloading my tiny brain with knowledge.

Mr Tibbers

10-04-2009

Quote:
I can't even discern what the argument is about!
Honestly, I'm not too sure either. I mentioned something about how he misspelled "Definition" and that the definition that he spoke of better fit the word "stupid" than "insane". He then called me stupid for no apparent reason.

TheHeretic

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voices View Post
I really like this guide, I thought some of the tips were helpful. Your way of filtering the game through the perspective of a poker player is also interesting.

However, I do have a question about how the new elo system affects this guide. For example, the first day after the new patch I lost 7 games straight simply to better teams of players, whereas before all of the strategies that I learned from this guide were effective. It seems that no matter how hard you try, if you aren't good enough you'll end up being pushed into the 50/50 wins/losses group by the way the new system works (this is keeping in mind that the guide is supposed to help players win games).

I also think a lot of people will dispute with the player profiling section which could be condensed into a section that analyzes risk vs. reward. Also I think people will tend to see the categories as strict personality characteristics rather than changing aspects of a player. As you imply later, better players are more likely to be resistant to mind games, make less mistakes, and in general be more helpful regardless of what their profile is. I think this comes more from learning to play the game than sticking to a particular category of playing. Maybe add in a section that talks about becoming better player than a simple profile can predict?
ELO system will straight up **** you at the moment, and I'm already *****ing about it. Mostly it comes down to if you've got any terrible players, if they do, and the degree to which they ruin their respective teams. There's very little you can do unfortunately, because the more you win the higher your ELO goes to a point where the system assumes you plus a few awful players a balanced team makes, and you'll lose. A lot. I went on a 5 losing streak thanks to being put against premades constantly with ridiculously under-matched team mates.

Profiling is based on poker and as some people are suggesting I expand on it i'm hesitant to. Its a useful guide, not a set in stone breakdown. In reality there are probably hundreds of different types of players, but its not useful or relevant to create such a division. The more I write about it the more it becomes a defining part of the guide, which it isn't supposed to be.

Wisers

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
Honestly, I'm not too sure either. I mentioned something about how he misspelled "Definition" and that the definition that he spoke of better fit the word "stupid" than "insane". He then called me stupid for no apparent reason.
I called you stupid because you are stupid.

SamHax

10-04-2009

Kudos to the realizer of this 'guide'.

Kepp up the good work

Mr Tibbers

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisers View Post
The Defenition of insane is repeating the same action expecting different results.
See that? You called me stupid after I stated that the word "stupid" better fit this than insane. Now, tell me. Is it not true that stupid better fits here than insane? Huh? Beyond that, I thought you were finished replying to me.

Can't even listen to your own words now?

Wisers

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
See that? You called me stupid after I stated that the word "stupid" better fit this than insane. Now, tell me. Is it not true that stupid better fits here than insane? Huh? Beyond that, I thought you were finished replying to me.

Can't even listen to your own words now?
I don't understand how I can listen(using the art of hearing) to text. Maybe you could enlighten me with your gigantic brain and knowledge.
You seem to be getting flustered by my comments, as every post you make simply fortifies what I have been saying all along, you are stupid . Thank you TheHeretic it seems the art of smack talk does fluster those who think they are the bomb.

Mr Tibbers

10-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisers View Post
I don't understand how I can listen(using the art of hearing) to text. Maybe you could enlighten me with your gigantic brain and knowledge.
You seem to be getting flustered by my comments, as every post you make simply fortifies what I have been saying all along, you are stupid . Thank you TheHeretic it seems the art of smack talk does fluster those who think they are the bomb.
Nobody's flustered here. Why did you even bold that? Trying to prove I'm stupid by bolding a sentence which makes perfect sense? All you do is call me stupid, yet you don't say why you think I'm stupid. You know very well what I meant by listen; not hearing, but adhering to what is said. Don't try and correct me when I'm already right.

Voices

10-04-2009

Quote:
Profiling is based on poker and as some people are suggesting I expand on it i'm hesitant to. Its a useful guide, not a set in stone breakdown. In reality there are probably hundreds of different types of players, but its not useful or relevant to create such a division. The more I write about it the more it becomes a defining part of the guide, which it isn't supposed to be.
I agree with your judgment about the usefulness of profiling. I confess that I started to think more critically about it because I work in a lab that administers the Iowa Gambling Task (a psychological test that reliably and somewhat accurately measures decision making). It occurred to me that someone had already simplified the concept of decision making, reducing it to whether a person can learn right decision from wrong decision, and I applied this concept to learning in this game.

As I have discovered, much of what a player decides depends on their understanding of risk vs. reward in their game, and it usually takes many trials for a player to stop perseverating (making mistakes). It may be true that people look at certain situations through the mindset of aggressive/defensive and tight/loose, but in the end I think a good player is smart enough to realize that there is no rigidity to playing style: In certain situations it is simply better to fight the urge and be more of what you are not. In other words, a mindset may be helpful for making decisions in the early game, and it may be helpful for the people that read this guide, but in the end much of it can more efficiently be understood through risk vs. reward analysis in a situation and shaping. Either way, the same player will probably not make the decision twice in a certain given situation due to a natural variability in behavior.