DoT interaction with capturing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

I wanted to ask about an inconsistency with DoT effects when champs try to capture turrets that I've noticed.

Every time I see an AoE DoT cast, it stops anyone in it from capping a turret (GP's Cannon Barrage, Malzahar's Null Zone, Morgana's Tormented Soil...) but half the time, direct target DoTs put on someone do not stop them from capping the point...Explanation?

(I realize that I haven't played EVERY champ with an Area DoT or direct target DoT and probably overlooked some, but this has been what I've experienced in Dominion)

ChaoticHypnotic

11-07-2011

DOTs only stop capture if they are applied after the capture has begun.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
DOTs only stop capture if they are applied after the capture has begun.
^This. Otherwise, DoTs would be far too powerful for defense.

Also, Cannon Barrage is an outlier, since it's technically several individual nukes cast randomly in the area of effect and not a DoT.

Phourc

11-07-2011

If the DoT is a debuff effect, only applying it will break the channel, this actually include's zilean's time bomb "3... 2... 1..." timer, amusingly enough.

If it's a ground effect, or a damage aura as long as they're standing in it they will be unable to capture.

TouchinMyself

11-07-2011

I know that with singed the first tick of his poison breaks the channel but if its already on when they channel it does nothing. I would assume its the same for everyone.

JustMyBassCannon

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobocop View Post
^This. Otherwise, DoTs would be far too powerful for defense.

Also, Cannon Barrage is an outlier, since it's technically several individual nukes cast randomly in the area of effect and not a DoT.
I'll admit to Cannon Barrage being vastly different. But what about other AoE DoTs? It's not just the first tick that stops them, if you're hit by an AoE DoT period you can't cap. But a targeted DoT lets you cap after the first tick.

MrSpaz

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
I'll admit to Cannon Barrage being vastly different. But what about other AoE DoTs? It's not just the first tick that stops them, if you're hit by an AoE DoT period you can't cap. But a targeted DoT lets you cap after the first tick.
Applications of damaging spells is what interrupts it.

If the "aoe dot" is really several ticks of a spell being applied because you're standing in the area (as in, each application is technically a new spell), it's going to interrupt it every tick. Instead of thinking of it as one singular spell, think of it as several spells that happen once a second.

Targeted dots aren't -- and cannot -- function in such a way, because they are applied just the one time.

FDru

11-07-2011

Most of what you listed aren't even DoTs.

Malefic Visions is a DoT
Poison Trail is a DoT
Toxic Shot is a DoT

Tremors is NOT a DoT
Defile is NOT a DoT

It's really simple, DoTs don't break channeling (except when they're first applied). Everything else does.

ChaoticHypnotic

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
What AOE DoTs are you talking about?

Technically, I wouldn't consider any of the abilities you listed to be AOE DoTs. They are ground effects.

To me, an AOE DoT is something that is applied once in an area and has an effect over time on every target it hits. For instance, Brand's passive could be considered AOE when it hits many targets, but it's still only applied once, dealing damage over time. In this case, it wouldn't stop capture unless you hit someone after they started the capture. (Yes, I realize the damage from Brand's primary abilities would stop the capture anyway, but let's just ignore that part since I can't think of a true AOE DoT off the top of my head right now.)

Ground effects, like those you listed, take place in a certain area, but they are applied several times over their duration. Each tick has the chance to stop a capture.

See the difference?

JustMyBassCannon

11-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
What AOE DoTs are you talking about?

Technically, I wouldn't consider any of the abilities you listed to be AOE DoTs. They are ground effects.

To me, an AOE DoT is something that is applied once in an area and has an effect over time on every target it hits. For instance, Brand's passive could be considered AOE when it hits many targets, but it's still only applied once, dealing damage over time. In this case, it wouldn't stop capture unless you hit someone after they started the capture. (Yes, I realize the damage from Brand's primary abilities would stop the capture anyway, but let's just ignore that part since I can't think of a true AOE DoT off the top of my head right now.)

Ground effects, like those you listed, take place in a certain area, but they are applied several times over their duration. Each tick has the chance to stop a capture.

See the difference?
Brand didn't exist before the "ground effect" type of AoE DoT.

I get it now, it's a systemic thing. The fact that it's a DoT that only applies while you stand on it (Area DoT) makes it so it acts kinda like an auto attack every second instead of just a damage effect hitting that spot.

My question is still, logistically, WHY does it have to work this way? The one DoT I can think of that you can apply at a long range is Mordekaiser's ultimate, all others have a shorter range than Area DoTs.