"Take your complaits to WCG" is a total BS copout.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mrtony

Junior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
IEM, MLG, ESWC, WCG +WCG Grand Finals, ESWC, and so on, are all tournaments and series run by companies who assume responsibility for the running of the tournaments they stick their name on. Riot does have an eSports department, but from what I see, the job of the eSports department is to help these companies who run events such as WCG get acclimated to LoL, (maybe) sponsor their prize pool, organize tech support for the event as well as they can, and reach/getting LoL involved in these major competitions. The actual obligation to run the tournament smoothly rests with the company who organized it and plans on running it (in this particular case, WCG and affiliates).

There's absolutely no reason why it should reflect on Riot as a company considering they didn't write the rules and WCG, by simply hosting the tournament, took responsibility for the outcome. The only reason Riot is in the blame here is because they were the first to respond to the incident (see: Matt Marcou on SotL). I'm not saying Riot is entirely pure--they've had their hiccups such as the Season 1 Finals at Dreamhack in June. That's an event they took responsibility in running, and it arguably went rather poorly. But this time around... Nope.

It's almost similar to a scenario where someone blames Spalding for the NBA delay this year. They make the basketball, but the NBA runs the game.
Except that a Spalding rep comes out and misleads/confuses a ton of people. NBA also issues a statement saying Spalding and NBA made a joint decision regarding a game decision. Confusion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kydrone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Simply because Pendragon encouraged you guys to discuss this with the WCG does not mean that we have not and will not also discuss this with them.
Nice to see you on the forums Trynd, now can you answer the actual question?

My post:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1429465

Again we just ask for clarification from RIOT for RIOT's involvement.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlindPhaydo

Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Simply because Pendragon encouraged you guys to discuss this with the WCG does not mean that we have not and will not also discuss this with them.
Okay, WCG messed up badly. However, you need to hold Marcou accountable as well. According to Marcou's own words on SotL, WCG came to him before making a decision and he guided them to this decision. WCG has also confirmed that it was a joint decision between themselves and Marcou. You can't simply pin the blame on them when Marcou is just as responsible for this mess as they are.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leonson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2011

Tryn, Pendragon and whomever else may be following this. You have to come out with something public and not couched in legal doublespeak and soon.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Macerate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
IEM, MLG, ESWC, WCG +WCG Grand Finals, ESWC, and so on, are all tournaments and series run by companies who assume responsibility for the running of the tournaments they stick their name on. Riot does have an eSports department, but from what I see, the job of the eSports department is to help these companies who run events such as WCG get acclimated to LoL, (maybe) sponsor their prize pool, organize tech support for the event as well as they can, and reach/getting LoL involved in these major competitions. The actual obligation to run the tournament smoothly rests with the company who organized it and plans on running it (in this particular case, WCG and affiliates).

There's absolutely no reason why it should reflect on Riot as a company considering they didn't write the rules and WCG, by simply hosting the tournament, took responsibility for the outcome. The only reason Riot is in the blame here is because they were the first to respond to the incident (see: Matt Marcou on SotL). I'm not saying Riot is entirely pure--they've had their hiccups such as the Season 1 Finals at Dreamhack in June. That's an event they took responsibility in running, and it arguably went rather poorly. But this time around... Nope.

It's almost similar to a scenario where someone blames Spalding for the NBA delay this year. They make the basketball, but the NBA runs the game.
Don't you need Riot's permission to run an LoL tournament? If so, how is it not their responsibility to ensure that they give permission to the right people? I'm just making the assumption based on how Blizzard requires permission for any tournament using their current Esport game. Isn't Riot ultimately the one who has the power to decide who is eligible to host LoL tournaments?

I'm not threatening to boycott Riot or anything. But if permission is required by Riot to run an LoL tourny, then it's their responsibility to make sure the people they give support and permission to are using their product in a manner that reflects well upon them. WCG holds more blame, but Riot has plenty of responsibility IMO. Hopefully this lull in information is just them making sure they've handled everything correctly with WCG before going public with the information. Maybe this will be used as a learning experience so future tournaments aren't fiascoes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fomenta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTimeNarz View Post
You guys really need to communicate with us, the community, better on these issues. Your head of eSports has disappeared after playing a significant part in all of this. Now it seems that you guys have realized you can't sweep this under the rug so you're trying to shift blame. Regardless, injustices occurred and it seems like nothing will be done to right them.
I empathize with this, but I think you're wrong to demand they should be quicker to officially respond.

The facts are (even after reading too many threads / posts / videos about this) complicated and involve a series of events between many parties over many days.

The responsible thing to do is take a step back, critically review everything that happened , plan how to move forward, and then communicate your thoughts as a company -- and thats what they did.

In the internet age where the life cycle of a typical LoL forum thread is measured in seconds or minutes, its easy to want things NOW. We're trained that way. But the fact of the matter is that its simply not professional, responsible business to make statements before you're completely aware of the entirety of the issue, have a clear head and have gained some sort of internal consensus within the company.

In fact, some of the problems stem from or were exacerbated by one or more Riot employees / WCG admins making statements that either weren't very clear or were made under incorrect pretenses.

Had Matt taken more time, not less, to judge the situation before discussing it on SotL, some of the uproar might have been prevented. Had he said something like,
Quote:
We're very aware of the situation, but before I make any official statements, we want to make sure we have everything covered. Rest assured that we're working tirelessly with WCG and the teams. I'll be sure to update the community when this is resolved.
I think the issue would be less confusing and less heated.

Riot is exceptionally fast at responding to their community. In other companies, things like this are routinely swept under the rug despite much larger community uproar. If the issues are ever brought to light and acknowledged its much later (read: years later).

I give Riot a lot of credit for acting responsibly in the aftermath of the incident. I think everyone (including Riot) realizes there were some mistakes made, but I don't think that not officially communicating sooner was one of them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geryth

Senior Member

11-01-2011

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fomenta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macerate View Post
Don't you need Riot's permission to run an LoL tournament?
No, you do not. (At least not yet -- Blizzard on the other hand does require prior written permission)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lolik0

Junior Member

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozt View Post
IEM, MLG, ESWC, WCG +WCG Grand Finals, ESWC, and so on, are all tournaments and series run by companies who assume responsibility for the running of the tournaments they stick their name on. Riot does have an eSports department, but from what I see, the job of the eSports department is to help these companies who run events such as WCG get acclimated to LoL, (maybe) sponsor their prize pool, organize tech support for the event as well as they can, and reach/getting LoL involved in these major competitions. The actual obligation to run the tournament smoothly rests with the company who organized it and plans on running it (in this particular case, WCG and affiliates).

There's absolutely no reason why it should reflect on Riot as a company considering they didn't write the rules and WCG, by simply hosting the tournament, took responsibility for the outcome. The only reason Riot is in the blame here is because they were the first to respond to the incident (see: Matt Marcou on SotL). I'm not saying Riot is entirely pure--they've had their hiccups such as the Season 1 Finals at Dreamhack in June. That's an event they took responsibility in running, and it arguably went rather poorly. But this time around... Nope.

It's almost similar to a scenario where someone blames Spalding for the NBA delay this year. They make the basketball, but the NBA runs the game.
Sorry sir But you contridicted yourself. The esport department job is to help tournaments run tournament.... running the tournament is the job of the tournament...
Also your scenario is horrible... real scenario would be

" NBA holds game, spalding balls used found to be defective. NBA is at fault for not checking balls, spalding at fault for producing defective items."
or
" Smith and Wesson make automatic guns... guns end up being used in a mass of shootings.. Smith and wesson not the gun dealers get blamed for guns being so readily available"
or
"guy overdoses on drugs supplied by doctor. guy was the one to overdose but doctor supplied the drugs"

in all cases both companies are at fault. As is RIOT and WCG


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

La Box

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Simply because Pendragon encouraged you guys to discuss this with the WCG does not mean that we have not and will not also discuss this with them.
Tryndamere, do the right thing and pay for CDE's trip to Korea. They deserve to be there. You know you messed up and it's too late now to change the tournament, but you can still atone and regain some respect if you apologize to CDE in this way.